Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Right. I’m just saying, he hasn’t come out and said “I want to be a Colt for life” either. He had the chance to do that today and he didn’t. I was just pushing back slightly on some of the fans (mainly on Twitter, not here) that are thinking it’s all sunshine and rainbows with Taylor and the Colts.
    I'll take "good enough".

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Maf is hard when you input wrong.

Updated post, the deal is three years, not four. $14 million a year and $8.8 guaranteed seems high to me. But we have a rookie deal QB so there is that, give it to JT now and then give it to AR when his contract comes up.

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Maf is hard when you input wrong.

Updated post, the deal is three years, not four. $14 million a year and $8.8 guaranteed seems high to me. But we have a rookie deal QB so there is that, give it to JT now and then give it to AR when his contract comes up.
    His current-year salary remains the same. The extension is for 2024 - 2026. So, altogether, it's 4 years, $46MM: 1 year, $4.3MM, 3 years, $42MM.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    His current-year salary remains the same. The extension is for 2024 - 2026. So, altogether, it's 4 years, $46MM: 1 year, $4.3MM, 3 years, $42MM.
    So the Colts trade him at the end of this year? That Irsay sure is a slick one...
    I only half jest.
    It's weird how devalued the RB position is yet no team has emliminated the position all together. I don't think the (re)advent of the running QB helps the RB cause.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So the Colts trade him at the end of this year? That Irsay sure is a slick one...
    I only half jest.
    It's weird how devalued the RB position is yet no team has emliminated the position all together. I don't think the (re)advent of the running QB helps the RB cause.
    I think it's more of a supply and demand kind of thing. Good/great RBs are a lot more common than great QBs.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I only half jest.

It’s just the evolution of NFL offenses. Running backs are nearly important as stud wide receivers anymore.

32 out of 32 NFL teams would take a Justin Jefferson or a Ja’Marr Chase over a Johnathon Taylor or a Nick Chubb.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I only half jest.
    Basically what @DoggyDaddy said: it's supply and demand. The best QBs and the best place kickers have comparatively higher value, because a) they are in much shorter supply, and b) their skill set is in much shorter supply. Colleges churn out RB after RB, year after year - but usually only one good QB every few years. And the drop-off in talent from a QB1 to a QB2, or from a PK1 to a PK2, is sharp. The drop-off in talent from RB1 to RB2 to RB3 is simply not as great. Offenses live and die on the play of the QB, almost always taken in the first two rounds of the draft - while a RB taken in the 5th - 7th round can come in and produce, sometimes with little to no difference in production.

There are rare exceptions. JT is one of those exceptions. But even in the case of such exceptions, with the salary cap, it is often a better strategy to pay 2-3 low-cost RBs, and save the cap space for bigger spend in other positions.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    I would have said F No but I think the deal makes it easier to trade his a$$ for better compensation. He is under contract and most likely has no say in a trade. The Colts can eat part if the money owed to get a better trade deal.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom