• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I think the biggest need for the colts next year, now that I’ve thought about it some, is defense. The offense will improve dramatically if AR is able to go the whole season. The defense I don’t trust at all. Lots of sacks against bad teams, but no reliable QB pressure when it matters, poor tackling, and a secondary that routinely gave up huge plays. I agree that a lot of that is on their coordinator. I like pressure every play, corners that can tackle, and at least having a defensive player in the frame when a pass is completed.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Looks like the AFC South will play play their home & away and the AFC East and the NFC North. Then the Colts most likely will additionally play the Steelers, Raiders, and Giants.

If they had won the division they would have most likely had the Ravens, Chiefs, and Cowboys or Eagles.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Goodson is the team's most-skilled pass-catching RB. That was a play call that was designed specifically for him, that they practiced with him all week, and intended to be used in exactly the scenario where they used it.

Both he and Minshew just failed to execute. Minshew threw a bad, but catchable ball. If Goodson catches it, it's easily a first down. If Minshew throws a good ball on what has to be one of the easiest plays in a QB's playbook, it's quite possibly a TD.

JT a) was clearly playing hurt by that point, and b) would have gotten a different defensive look. That play would never have gone to him. Again, it was a play drawn up for and practiced by Goodson, specifically. And it was a brilliant play call. He was wide open, and had MPJ as a lead blocker.
    Most skilled pass catching RB. Still with only 6 catches all season. With a game and the playoffs on the line, that was the go to guy. I don't care how many times they practiced it all week. Everyone saw that last night Minshew couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat in the ocean.
    I will agree they both failed to execute on that play. Yes, that has to be one of the easiest plays in a QB's playbook. Or at least it should be.

JT was definitely playing hurt by that point. But, I still say they would have been better off to put 2 RB in the backfield and make the Texans guess. And maybe try something like a good old fashioned pitch with a run around the corner. That's just my opinion and I was saying that last night during the timeout.
    I disagree about it being a brilliant play call. I told my wife exactly what was about to happen. I told her they were going to try a little dump pass to the outside corner and it will either be a bad throw or dropped. Saw it coming
    Goodson was wide open because he was never a threat.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I only follow the Colts progress because they are the "home team"; I do know that they've faced trials and tribulations since Manning retired and it can be argued that the team was falling apart before he retired so they've been "rebuilding" for a long time.

It appears that there may be some light at the end of the tunnel given another year or two of development. My question is do you think they were truly ready for a playoff run this year or is this outcome better for them?

From a purely sideline location I think the playoffs would have been a waste of energy for them this year. Thoughts?
    Oh, they were certainly playing with house money. Regardless, they are a young team. Playoff experience is always beneficial.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Blame Minshew. He played mostly terrible all game. IIRC, he missed open receivers on the drive that ended in that FG attempt, and he missed Goodson on the 4th and 1 play.

(Again, still, I'm not mad at Minshew. He is who he is. I'm just glad it's AR season again, now, officially.)
    Oh that's definitely where the blame is at. He had an exceptionally bad game. He's always a little squirrelly but last night was just bad.

Am I mad at the guy, heck no. Over the course of the season he did better than I expected he would do. Likewise as a team, they played better than I expected they would. Overall not a bad season.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    They are not ready yet. If they made the playoffs this year, they would have been smoked by the really good teams. There is definitely some potential here though. See how AR plays out for and entire season, and maybe fire their defensive coordinator!
    I disagree with this take. The AFC is shallow and wide this year. There are the Ravens and then everyone else (and even the Colts beat the Ravens this year). The Colts could compete with any of the 3 teams they would have faced in the Wild Card round (Bills or Dolphins on the road, Browns at home).

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    He's a QB2. There is no sense getting upset or frustrating because he doesn't play like a QB1.
    I agree. That is why he is a back up. If he was better he would be a starter. No reasonable person expects to win playoffs with a backup playing all season. Next year will be better. I would probably keep him around as a backup though.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My thought last night was that since the Colts lost the Jags would lose and Texans would be the division winner just to rub salt in the wound. Titans leading now…

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom