thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I’ve seen the replay several times now.

He’s wiiiide open.

Just a terrible, terrible throw by Minshew.
    I still can't believe with one lousy yard for a fresh set of downs needing the TD, they hinged their bets on a guy with only 6 catches all season. It wasn't a good pass by any means, but it was catchable too. I could maybe see it if it were someone that was more of a play maker, but 6 catches all year? That's your go to go in the clutch situation? I don't get that call.

Should have either gave it right back to JT since he was carrying the offense most of the night. Or, dig into the bag of tricks and maybe pitch it to JT or Moss to run around the corner.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I'm still frustrated over that last play. Minshew gets paid millions of dollars and has made that throw hundreds of times, yet he ***** the bed when it matters most and delivers a poor throw to a dude with hands like mine.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm still frustrated over that last play. Minshew gets paid millions of dollars and has made that throw hundreds of times, yet he ***** the bed when it matters most and delivers a poor throw to a dude with hands like mine.
    It was a bad throw. It was relatively catchable considering how he juggled it.
    But in that situation, I don't understand the go to guy being one with only 6 catches for the entire season.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    A few of my ideas of things the colet’s need for next year:

1. A tight end that is a reliable pass catcher
    2. Develop another WR
    3. Defense Was too inconsistent. They need better secondary, that can actually cover and tackle. They especially need to get reliable pressure on opposing QB’s.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I still can't believe with one lousy yard for a fresh set of downs needing the TD, they hinged their bets on a guy with only 6 catches all season. It wasn't a good pass by any means, but it was catchable too. I could maybe see it if it were someone that was more of a play maker, but 6 catches all year? That's your go to go in the clutch situation? I don't get that call.

Should have either gave it right back to JT since he was carrying the offense most of the night. Or, dig into the bag of tricks and maybe pitch it to JT or Moss to run around the corner.
    Goodson is the team's most-skilled pass-catching RB. That was a play call that was designed specifically for him, that they practiced with him all week, and intended to be used in exactly the scenario where they used it.

Both he and Minshew just failed to execute. Minshew threw a bad, but catchable ball. If Goodson catches it, it's easily a first down. If Minshew throws a good ball on what has to be one of the easiest plays in a QB's playbook, it's quite possibly a TD.

JT a) was clearly playing hurt by that point, and b) would have gotten a different defensive look. That play would never have gone to him. Again, it was a play drawn up for and practiced by Goodson, specifically. And it was a brilliant play call. He was wide open, and had MPJ as a lead blocker.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Shouldn't have needed to have Gay try from that far back either.

On the flip side, if their kicker hadn't missed the PAT, they would have needed the TD and two point conversion to win
    Blame Minshew. He played mostly terrible all game. IIRC, he missed open receivers on the drive that ended in that FG attempt, and he missed Goodson on the 4th and 1 play.

(Again, still, I'm not mad at Minshew. He is who he is. I'm just glad it's AR season again, now, officially.)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    A few of my ideas of things the colet’s need for next year:

1. A tight end that is a reliable pass catcher
    Mallory and Granson are both excellent, pass-catching TEs.
    2. Develop another WR
    Getting a WR in the draft is always advisable. It's probably the easiest skill position to improve in the draft, no matter how good a team already is.
    3. Defense Was too inconsistent. They need better secondary, that can actually cover and tackle. They especially need to get reliable pressure on opposing QB’s.
    Gus Bradley needs to go. I have been over his soft scheme for a long time.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I only follow the Colts progress because they are the "home team"; I do know that they've faced trials and tribulations since Manning retired and it can be argued that the team was falling apart before he retired so they've been "rebuilding" for a long time.

It appears that there may be some light at the end of the tunnel given another year or two of development. My question is do you think they were truly ready for a playoff run this year or is this outcome better for them?

From a purely sideline location I think the playoffs would have been a waste of energy for them this year. Thoughts?

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    They are not ready yet. If they made the playoffs this year, they would have been smoked by the really good teams. There is definitely some potential here though. See how AR plays out for and entire season, and maybe fire their defensive coordinator!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom