• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I hadn't considered that. And oh, that would really **** my son off, who is an avid Bears fan. I hope they do it, lol.
    Da Bears would likely still get the D guy they want and some bonus picks. It also has the affect of keeping another team from moving up to get a QB and possibly knocking the Colts out of QB contention for any of the top QB’s.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah I’m kinda with you on that. Levis and Richardson seem like they’re the guys with the highest upside, but they’re all kinda “meh” prospects.

The only caveat I have is, if the scouting staff absolutely falls in love with a guy, then they have to do whatever it takes to get him. You just have to. Quarterback is that important.
    Yeah. But that's part of the rub. They can fall in love with the wrong guy. But, I'll say they were right falling in love with Manning and Luck. Those were true franchise QB's. It's unfortunate that Luck got his ass beat every week. He'd probably still be playing.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I hadn't considered that. And oh, that would really **** my son off, who is an avid Bears fan. I hope they do it, lol.

I dunno though. I'm just having a hard time believing that Colts would trade up for this QB class. Young, Stroud, or Levis. Talent there for sure. But Young just doesn't seem big enough to me to be one of those top picks that actually becomes the franchise player that you build your whole team around. And really, I'm not sure Stroud or Levis can become that either. But who knows. In a way, I'm kinda wondering if it might be worth it to trade down to SF and see if they can make a deal for Purdy. I'm not really serious about that. Just toying with the idea.
    If we look at the link I posted we see the Colts are in the third position of QB needy teams. Then the next five teams are also in need of a QB, so I expect at least a couple of them to try to move up to get a QB, leapfrogging the Colts. It may also be that AZ will want a QB as well making the Colts the fourth QB pick with three top QB’s.

Going to be interesting to see this play out.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Yeah. But that's part of the rub. They can fall in love with the wrong guy. But, I'll say they were right falling in love with Manning and Luck. Those were true franchise QB's. It's unfortunate that Luck got his ass beat every week. He'd probably still be playing.

Even then, you gotta take a swing. You can’t bunt every at bat.

We can’t keep doing this re-tread thing.

Yeah maybe he’s a total bust. You’ll be terrible for season or two and then get another high pick.

Yes QB purgatory stinks, but QB purgatory when it’s the Carson Wentz’s and the Matt Ryan’s of the world, no thanks.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's unfortunate that Luck got his ass beat every week. He'd probably still be playing.
    It is. But I also believe Luck lost his desire to just play the game. Is Ballard somewhat to blame for talking him out of retirement and not contingency planning to replace a guy that was making it clear he wanted to quit?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Da Bears would likely still get the D guy they want and some bonus picks. It also has the affect of keeping another team from moving up to get a QB and possibly knocking the Colts out of QB contention for any of the top QB’s.

No. I want to see the Bears screw the pooch again in the draft. Schadenfreude. I guess. Between my son and I, it's what we do. :):

Seriously, I think the bears trading down makes sense. Will Anderson Jr would be a nice get on defense. And they could probably trade down several spots and still get him.

I think Houston will pick Young. That leaves Stroud and Levis. Would the Colts trade up to go after either of those?

It's all speculation anyway.

Edit: Looks like the Mock Draft has the bears going after Anderson.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Even then, you gotta take a swing. You can’t bunt every at bat.

We can’t keep doing this re-tread thing.

Yeah maybe he’s a total bust. You’ll be terrible for season or two and then get another high pick.

Yes QB purgatory stinks, but QB purgatory when it’s the Carson Wentz’s and the Matt Ryan’s of the world, no thanks.

Can a leopard change his spots?

If the Colt's pick one of the top 3 rookies, which I think at least one of them will be on the board by the time the colt's pick if they don't trade up, I think I favor Will Levis. Probably Stroud is a better pick, but I didn't say that because he's a Butteye, and therefore I must hate him. Assuming Young goes to Houston, that leaves Levis. He's got a strong arm. He's got a good size for QB. Athletic. Not Manning/Luck slow. Tough. I dunno.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This illustrates the gamble with drafting QB’s.

“For all the praise heaped upon Vegas when it comes to nailing the betting odds regarding the draft, the oddsmakers flat-out blew it on Willis. He was supposed to be the first quarterback taken. He was the third.”

“The fact that Vrabel so nonchalantly switched from Willis to Dobbs suggests that, like the A.J. Brown trade, the Willis selection was part of the divide between Vrabel and now-former G.M. Jon Robinson.”

“If Willis was a Vrabel guy, Vrabek wouldn’t have benched Willis, a young player who needs live reps, for a journeyman who wasn’t even on anyone’s active roster two weeks ago. The fact that Vrabel did it — and that Dobbs passed the eyeball test — points directly to Dobbs being the quarterback next weekend in Jacksonville.”

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    This illustrates the gamble with drafting QB’s.

“For all the praise heaped upon Vegas when it comes to nailing the betting odds regarding the draft, the oddsmakers flat-out blew it on Willis. He was supposed to be the first quarterback taken. He was the third.”

“The fact that Vrabel so nonchalantly switched from Willis to Dobbs suggests that, like the A.J. Brown trade, the Willis selection was part of the divide between Vrabel and now-former G.M. Jon Robinson.”

“If Willis was a Vrabel guy, Vrabek wouldn’t have benched Willis, a young player who needs live reps, for a journeyman who wasn’t even on anyone’s active roster two weeks ago. The fact that Vrabel did it — and that Dobbs passed the eyeball test — points directly to Dobbs being the quarterback next weekend in Jacksonville.”

Oh we’re definitely all on the same page that it’s a big gamble. It’s more likely that he will be a bust technically. You HAVE to step up to the table though. You gotta push all in on red.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Oh we’re definitely all on the same page that it’s a big gamble. It’s more likely that he will be a bust technically. You HAVE to step up to the table though. You gotta push all in on red.
    Gamble is the word for it. :lmfao:

Many think it a big deal when they hear about some player gambling thousands on golf or other games but don’t seem to realize that an NFL owner is one of the biggest gamblers on the planet and billionaires are paying 7 billion up front to get in the game.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I think it's a gamble, but I don't think it's as much as a gamble on the luck of it.

Everyone knew Payton Manning would be a franchise QB. Everyone knew Luck would be, albeit we did not know he would leave the game in his prime. When a QB has "it" people know. Maybe people think they see "it", when the "it" they see is probably enhanced by wistful thinking. Ballard whiffing ever since Luck quit makes me not trust his "it" instincts. So I think whatever he does will be a gamble.

I think this draft's top QB's are a gamble. The franchise "it" isn't apparent. I've been reading up on Levis since the mock drafts (which are a gamble) keep saying Colts are picking him. My gosh people are nuts. I've found articles claiming that he's the best pick out of the top 3! Studying his stats and scouting reports. Meh. I think he has a lot of potential for the reasons I said earlier. But that's a gamble. He reminds me now of Trubiski, but with a little more experience and accuracy.

Bottom line, if the Colt's pick any of this years crop of QBs, it'll be a gamble. But I think they should try with one of them. I wouldn't be angry if they got Hooker. Or really any of them. Gamble that 1st round pick. Go for it. Just remind me when I start cussing when it goes wrong that I said I'm okay with it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Everyone knew Payton Manning would be a franchise QB. Everyone knew Luck would be, albeit we did not know he would leave the game in his prime. When a QB has "it" people know.
    Have you forgotten all the pressure put on Poulian over Manning vs Leaf? To me, and apparently you, it was a no brainer but there was much discussion. Then there was the Luck vs RGIII questions. So not everyone “knew”.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    More on the QB market…

“…the NFL will have had 64 different starting quarterbacks through 17 weeks.”

“Nine teams have started three different quarterbacks: the 49ers, Titans, Jets, Colts, Dolphins, Patriots, Rams, Panthers, and Texans.”

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Who is starting the 2023 thread?

We should have title suggestions.

Generally I think we start the new one after the Super Bowl I think? Maybe?

I guess we could start when the season’s over since we won’t be in the playoffs.

You can go back a couple pages to see the title suggestions so far. I’m always open for more ideas!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom