• Status
    Not open for further replies.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    So I have missed all of this as Pre-season is a bust for me but asking you guys......what does the "O" line look like.

It's difficult to tell other than some individual efforts. This preseason is highlighting players and not a theme or plays per se. This is a complete evaluation of talent by the coaching staff.
    I'm convinced the Colts will keep the best players available to them, fill the practice squad, and trade players to give strength to the depth chart.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm just glad there were no surprise tweets this game. I'm still kinda hoping they find the "source" who ruined last week.

It didn't come from the Colts. The "source" most likely came from someone in the league office that saw the retirement paperwork go through. Luck told Irsay and Ballard of his decision on Thursday. His teammates knew Friday. But they all decided to try and wait to hold the press conference on Sunday. Why wait? It should have been announced on Friday after Luck told the team.

Shefter even called and texted several people with the Colts prior to going with the story. No one got back to him. The Colts and Luck **** the bed on the way they handled it, plain and simple.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    This morning the Colts announced the signing of veteran QB Brian Hoyer to a 3-year, $12MM ($9MM guaranteed) deal. Solid as Brissett's backup, though I wonder what this means for Chad Kelly.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    This morning the Colts announced the signing of veteran QB Brian Hoyer to a 3-year, $12MM ($9MM guaranteed) deal. Solid as Brissett's backup, though I wonder what this means for Chad Kelly.

I think it means they acknowledge he's a rookie and flaked out a couple of times.
    Hoyer is a solid pro who's started in the league for a couple different teams.
    Brissette is the one that should show some concern.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

A lot of the Twitter-verse is not happy about it. I don’t get it. If they could go sign a top-10 quarterback off of waivers they would, but that’s just not the reality of the NFL. Hoyer’s not great but he’s not Philip Walker either. I hope they pay him 9 million and he never once sees the field. Evaluate Brissett this year and make decisions next year.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I think it means they acknowledge he's a rookie and flaked out a couple of times.
    Hoyer is a solid pro who's started in the league for a couple different teams.
    Brissette is the one that should show some concern.

I think Brissett will be just fine. If it were 2017 I would be concerned; but it's not. The team is better overall, and Brissett is better individually.

Regarding Kelly, I was more wondering if the Colts keep him, or if he becomes the odd man out. I don't see this roster keeping 3 QBs.

A lot of the Twitter-verse is not happy about it. I don’t get it. If they could go sign a top-10 quarterback off of waivers they would, but that’s just not the reality of the NFL. Hoyer’s not great but he’s not Philip Walker either. I hope they pay him 9 million and he never once sees the field. Evaluate Brissett this year and make decisions next year.

I'm fine with it. It is a reasonable contract for a solid, backup, veteran QB. The Colts can - and should - win the division with Brissett.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think Brissett will be just fine. If it were 2017 I would be concerned; but it's not. The team is better overall, and Brissett is better individually.

Regarding Kelly, I was more wondering if the Colts keep him, or if he becomes the odd man out. I don't see this roster keeping 3 QBs.

I'm fine with it. It is a reasonable contract for a solid, backup, veteran QB. The Colts can - and should - win the division with Brissett.

But didn't Hoyer used to play for the Patriots? He's got cooties!! :runaway:

(Then again, so did Vinatieri and I guess he's been okay... ;))

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Extending Brissett doesn't really make a lot of sense. Having just paid Hoyer to be a backup, they could have let Brissett play on the last year of his deal and really evaluate what they had with him. It will be a deep QB draft next year so if Brissett turns out not to be the guy you let him walk, draft a QB and let him sit a year behind Hoyer.

I think they we're due to get a third round pick too if the didn't resign Brissett next season. I guess they were hedging that he is the guy and they can get him for relatively cheap for at least the next two years, rather then him playing well this year and having to pay him much more on a new deal.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Extending Brissett doesn't really make a lot of sense. Having just paid Hoyer to be a backup, they could have let Brissett play on the last year of his deal and really evaluate what they had with him. It will be a deep QB draft next year so if Brissett turns out not to be the guy you let him walk, draft a QB and let him sit a year behind Hoyer.

I think they we're due to get a third round pick too if the didn't resign Brissett next season. I guess they were hedging that he is the guy and they can get him for relatively cheap for at least the next two years, rather then him playing well this year and having to pay him much more on a new deal.

I think the latter is true. Pay him a medium wage now and avoid the big payday next year. See how he does and go from there.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I iike JB. I thought he did a yeoman's job getting thrust into the job when Luck went out the first time. Now that he's had a couple of years to learn the system, I think he could do well.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I still like the Colts chances for a successful season.
    It'll soon be time to sit back, watch and hope for the best.
    Hey, we get to "Monday Morning Quarterback" pretty soon.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

It makes a lot of sense, if the Colts believe in him, and the free agency and college prospects (available to the Colts) aren't all that promising. If Brissett has a Stellar year, then it will be a bargain.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    It makes a lot of sense, if the Colts believe in him, and the free agency and college prospects (available to the Colts) aren't all that promising. If Brissett has a Stellar year, then it will be a bargain.

And the contract is mostly front loaded so no-harm, no-foul If Brissett wets the bed. Release him and move on without a hit to the cap space.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom