• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Are you serious? What cave have you been living in? ALL manufacturers of cars have had serious safety recalls. Tires, air bags, stuck accelerators...you name it. Now how about this mysterious union paint falling off..... Thats because the EPA made the car manufacturers us lower VOC type paints/primers. It had absolutely nothing to do with the people applying them.

Ill second that motion! ;)
    Explain to us why union made cars are of higher quality than non-union cars. :popcorn:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    At what point does a union auto worker work BETTER after drinking bear and smoking pot?

Union workers drink Bear??

b834479f-f5c1-4b0f-9c19-c54de2de394c

That explains a few things...

mattyd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    With Colt being an American iconic name, I doubt that they will go away. Paperwork, bankrupcy, takeovers, litigation, the quality of product may change, but my bet is the name is here to stay.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    With Colt being an American iconic name, I doubt that they will go away. Paperwork, bankrupcy, takeovers, litigation, the quality of product may change, but my bet is the name is here to stay.
    Whether or not the Colt brand or company will go away is one question; whether or not they deserve to stay in the marketplace is quite another. With the lesser quality, lack of vision and innovation; ignoring of the civilian market and greed; I'd not shed any tears over their failure.

mattyd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Whether or not the Colt brand or company will go away is one question; whether or not they deserve to stay in the marketplace is quite another. With the lesser quality, lack of vision and innovation; ignoring of the civilian market and greed; I'd not shed any tears over their failure.
    I don't disagree and most of the time you are right. I do hate to see lives of employees and their families interrupted when this type of event happens. In most cases it is up for the consumer to decide where they spend their money...albeit civilian or otherwise.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Explain to us why union made cars are of higher quality than non-union cars. :popcorn:

On the surface a possible answer might be that most unions seem to have employees that have been there longer so perhaps more experience? Factory's ran by temp agencies may not have as much attention to detail. :dunno:

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010

Much like Indian they may go out of business but people will still buy the rights to the name, maybe even some of the designs and machinery, and try to revive the company several times but the name will still be around.

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    Great Thread. Colt cult, union bashing, name calling, bad gun talk, greedy owners, driving into bankruptcy, and churning ownership. A lot to think about. INGO didn't disappoint.
    Lost

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    On the surface a possible answer might be that most unions seem to have employees that have been there longer so perhaps more experience? Factory's ran by temp agencies may not have as much attention to detail. :dunno:

Just ask firestone about that dilemna....lock out union workers...hire temps....train overnight and you have tire blowouts on some Ford vehicles that those specific tires were contracted to be made for. It happened at the Decatur, IL. plant and it was shutdown shortly after. Remember all those rollovers and tire blowouts? Firestone Tire Accidents - Defective Tire Injuries and Death Would "you" rather have someone experienced (its their trade) making car parts, tires, etc for your car or would you rather have a high turnover rate for various reasons of employees that make those same parts, tires, etc. ? More than likely the union person will have been doing it for most of their life and it is their forte.
    Many union workers still take pride in their work and the finished product. How many temps do you think truly care as long as they get a chump change paycheck?
    I am a Federal Union member and President for the state of Indiana for my Chapter. I take pride in my work and nothing less than perfect will do. I will not accept any less from a manager when it comes to whether or not my equipment that I service is working perfectly or taken out of service because it does not meet tolerances even though there is a manager whining about "the numbers" aka metrics. I dont care....if it does NOT meet tolerances, it is removed from service.
    Now when my equipment is removed from service it isnt as easy as a drill press doesnt work or a milling machine is loose. I work for the Federal Aviation Administration and it is part my responsibility to make sure the flying public are safe in the air when navigating using the signals from my equipment. If I were to slack...People....lots of people could die. You want a temp in my spot (one every other couple weeks or so) or do you want me to do my damn job and get paid what I deserve considering my level of training and experience?
    All this anti union mentality comes from the ignorant and uniformed or they just have never seen the better parts of a Union. Listened to too many UAW or Steel worker stories....from the 70-80's maybe? **** just is not like that anymore...atleast no in my union.
    Nothing less than perfection...my family and friends are part of the flying public too. ;)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I don't disagree and most of the time you are right. I do hate to see lives of employees and their families interrupted when this type of event happens. In most cases it is up for the consumer to decide where they spend their money...albeit civilian or otherwise.
    Yes, that is the sad part. Workers are the ones that take the biggest hit when a company fails.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    If I remember correctly the problem with Firestone tires was not the design of the tire it was the improper use of that design of tire for a vehicle that heavy and large. Ford later tested the same tires in the same conditions on the Ford Ranger and had no problems. Also there was a miscommunication between the manufacture of the tire and the manufacturer of the vehicle about proper inflation pressure, which led to the tires being underinflated even when they were inflated to what they thought was a proper specs. I'm not sure what unions have to do with that. Unless you're suggesting that and employer utilizing unions will make no mistakes while an employer that does not utilize unions will make mistakes which is completely preposterous.
    Just ask firestone about that dilemna....lock out union workers...hire temps....train overnight and you have tire blowouts on some Ford vehicles that those specific tires were contracted to be made for. It happened at the Decatur, IL. plant and it was shutdown shortly after. Remember all those rollovers and tire blowouts? Firestone Tire Accidents - Defective Tire Injuries and Death Would "you" rather have someone experienced (its their trade) making car parts, tires, etc for your car or would you rather have a high turnover rate for various reasons of employees that make those same parts, tires, etc. ? More than likely the union person will have been doing it for most of their life and it is their forte.
    Many union workers still take pride in their work and the finished product. How many temps do you think truly care as long as they get a chump change paycheck?
    I am a Federal Union member and President for the state of Indiana for my Chapter. I take pride in my work and nothing less than perfect will do. I will not accept any less from a manager when it comes to whether or not my equipment that I service is working perfectly or taken out of service because it does not meet tolerances even though there is a manager whining about "the numbers" aka metrics. I dont care....if it does NOT meet tolerances, it is removed from service.
    Now when my equipment is removed from service it isnt as easy as a drill press doesnt work or a milling machine is loose. I work for the Federal Aviation Administration and it is part my responsibility to make sure the flying public are safe in the air when navigating using the signals from my equipment. If I were to slack...People....lots of people could die. You want a temp in my spot (one every other couple weeks or so) or do you want me to do my damn job and get paid what I deserve considering my level of training and experience?
    All this anti union mentality comes from the ignorant and uniformed or they just have never seen the better parts of a Union. Listened to too many UAW or Steel worker stories....from the 70-80's maybe? **** just is not like that anymore...atleast no in my union.
    Nothing less than perfection...my family and friends are part of the flying public too. ;)

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Colt

2ADMNLOVER;5430116 Never was a big Colt fan myself but I sure don't want them to go under either. I have a belief that S&W or Ruger might end up acquiring them if it goes that far south. Which might not be a bad thing.[/QUOTE said:
    I don't think so. For one, Ruger had the opportunity to buy EVERY major manufacturer at one time or another that was "American made". It never made a purchase. What would Ruger be getting from Colt other than the name? I don't think they get enough to divert the money from their own research and development programs.:twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I spent a lot of years outside the union in my trade. HVAC-R.
    When I went into a building or any facility I could "Always" tell if it was a union job. It was top notch if it was union. It cost more to do the job but the end results were always very noticeable to anyone with a discerning eye. Everything was level/true and on point.
    When I went union in 1998 and worked those jobs I understood why that was. Yes, it takes a bit longer to do it the right way and for the most part that was the standard. The systems ran better and lived longer. Just my personal observations.
    Now the politics involved with being union sucked but the pay and the benefits were worth it.
    How this relates to the auto industry is not known to me but I do know some top notch folks that work in the UAW. I did say "Some" top notch folks.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Explain to me where I posted anything about union made cars being better than anything? Or are you just making stuff up as we go along? :dunno:

But since you mentioned it....read post #129. ;)

I'm glad you could finally make a post without profanity and personal insults. :+1:

You're constantly talking up unions and how great they are. Why should I, as a cost conscious consumer, buy a union made vehicle? Are GM cars better than Toyota cars?

If you are going to ramble on about how great unions are, I'd love to see some evidence as to how they help this nation today. How do unions help Colt, GM, or any other cash strapped business? They don't.

You're in Terre Haute, so I have a union story that hits close to home. I used to work for an attorney in Terre Haute that was trying to get a non-union business to town. The unions were adamantly opposed to it coming. The lawyer's garage was torched. Hundreds of thousands of dollars of antique cars burnt, including a Lotus, E Type, and XK-150. As if the unions burning his garage weren't enough, they fire bombed his house. Tell me again how great unions are.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm glad you could finally make a post without profanity and personal insults. :+1:

You're constantly talking up unions and how great they are. Why should I, as a cost conscious consumer, buy a union made vehicle? Are GM cars better than Toyota cars?

If you are going to ramble on about how great unions are, I'd love to see some evidence as to how they help this nation today. How do unions help Colt, GM, or any other cash strapped business? They don't.

You're in Terre Haute, so I have a union story that hits close to home. I used to work for an attorney in Terre Haute that was trying to get a non-union business to town. The unions were adamantly opposed to it coming. The lawyer's garage was torched. Hundreds of thousands of dollars of antique cars burnt, including a Lotus, E Type, and XK-150. As if the unions burning his garage weren't enough, they fire bombed his house. Tell me again how great unions are.

I used to run service in Terre Haute for a non-union outfit and had at least 4 serious run ins with the locals. Hell, I had run ins with the local non-union contractors for being in Terre Haute. That town sucks a$$. Crap attitudes.
    I did love running at the local Drag Strip at the fair grounds but even some of the local racers were jack wagons. We beat them like a drum regularly but no malice was intended. It was racing and we had 2 serious cars. There was always something said or implied by the locals. Not all of them but enough to set it to memory.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't think so. For one, Ruger had the opportunity to buy EVERY major manufacturer at one time or another that was "American made". It never made a purchase. What would Ruger be getting from Colt other than the name? I don't think they get enough to divert the money from their own research and development programs.:twocents:

If acquired, Ruger specifically would stand to benifit by having a name/company to try and get back into some Military and GOV contracts. Ruger just lost the last major Gov contract. About a year and a half ago the Federal Bureau of Prisons (and Ruger since they quit supporting it) cancelled the P93 and P95 DAO handguns which were standard issue for BOP. BOP can't get parts for the P93's and half the P95's don't work with cracked frame rails as well as not cycling properly because of issues with varying slide wieghts from unit to unit. The US Marshal Service had a contract for 3" GP 100's. In the 2002 time frame that was cancelled in favor of Glock 22 and 23's in 40 cal like the FBI, DEA and Capital police. Although at the time 85% of DUSM's carried SIG's or Glocks so that wasn't a big deal to Ruger. (I worked for them back in the 1990's and only saw one that still carried a GP 100)

S&W maybe, even though they are their own force to be reckoned with their own fine products they have the bank to do it. They just acquired the company that has Tipton and Wheeler and some other firearm accessories so you never know.

I used to run service in Terre Haute for a non-union outfit and had at least 4 serious run ins with the locals. Hell, I had run ins with the local non-union contractors for being in Terre Haute. That town sucks a$$. Crap attitudes.
    I did love running at the local Drag Strip at the fair grounds but even some of the local racers were jack wagons. We beat them like a drum regularly but no malice was intended. It was racing and we had 2 serious cars. There was always something said or implied by the locals. Not all of them but enough to set it to memory.

Terre Haute is (even if it is lower in numbers now) a very Militant Union town. That attitude is what some believe cost Terre Haute the Toyota plant when Toyota overhead came there to scout around back in the 1980's. They where met with some of the loud mouths (more loud mouths per capita in Terre Haute than most other places in the state). Guess they told them.

Last edited:

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010

They'd be picking up a ton of debt.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If acquired, Ruger specifically would stand to benifit by having a name/company to try and get back into some Military and GOV contracts. Ruger just lost the last major Gov contract. About a year and a half ago the Federal Bureau of Prisons (and Ruger since they quit supporting it) cancelled the P93 and P95 DAO handguns which were standard issue for BOP. BOP can't get parts for the P93's and half the P95's don't work with cracked frame rails as well as not cycling properly because of issues with varying slide wieghts from unit to unit. The US Marshal Service had a contract for 3" GP 100's. In the 2002 time frame that was cancelled in favor of Glock 22 and 23's in 40 cal like the FBI, DEA and Capital police. Although at the time 85% of DUSM's carried SIG's or Glocks so that wasn't a big deal to Ruger. (I worked for them back in the 1990's and only saw one that still carried a GP 100)

S&W maybe, even though they are their own force to be reckoned with their own fine products they have the bank to do it. They just acquired the company that has Tipton and Wheeler and some other firearm accessories so you never know.

Terre Haute is (even if it is lower in numbers now) a very Militant Union town. That attitude is what some believe cost Terre Haute the Toyota plant when Toyota overhead came there to scout around back in the 1980's. They where met with some of the loud mouths (more loud mouths per capita in Terre Haute than most other places in the state). Guess they told them.

I have had ladders stolen/tires sliced and FTF confrontations. The latter did not end well for them but the local Cops suck as well or at least they did back in that time frame. They could have give a crap.

Top Bottom