• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    We have a group of new hires that are being trained. Someone, in their infinite wisdom, decided that they should wear vests that have TRAINEE written across the back. Apparently, they didn't think to check and see if the vests were flammable, which is something you probably should avoid while working around MOLTEN METAL!!! Fortunately, no one was injured.

I'm so glad we have college educated people making the big bucks, because we would have never thought about something that stupid.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I think some people sit around with too much time on their hands and come up with bad ideas to justify their job. Years ago I worked for a company that delivered linens/uniforms/etc. I was at a very large, global corporation one day when their "safety manager" approached me. He told me that he noticed I wasn't wearing protective gloves and that if I was going to be on the property I needed to do so. When I asked him why he said that maybe the coat hangars I was handling could poke me in the hand and I would get injured. I started to tell him what a great idea it was seeing as how we'd had three guys killed by coat hangar poked hands last year, but I held my tongue.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Every time you come up with something that's more idiot-proof, some (college) will come out with an improved idiot. I was always way out on the thin edge of the normal distribution intellectually, but I was never much of a student. I am, however, an engineer. It's not just a degree, that's what I'm wired for. Your trainees wouldn't have been a fire hazard, anyway.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My Dad was an old-school engineer who came up through technical school, military experience, technician, assistant engineer, and then engineer- no college...well, there was the Ag School to learn how to manage a grain elevator, but that had limited application to designing missile guidance systems and, later, medical devices....but I digress.

Anyhoo, he had special "love" for the "college engineers"....who, if they were truly smart, started listening to the "old guys" sooner rather than later and if not, went into management.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have seen some highly educated people that didn't have a lick of common sense......and I have seen some guys with 2nd grade educations that couldn't read or write a lick, but knew how to count and died very wealthy.

Here is an example. My commercial roofing buddy gets a call from one of our crew leaders asking what brand heat gun to buy, he asks the crew leader why he was buying a heat gun? The crew leader responds that the building superintendent, architect, and engineer had told him to go get a heat gun to heat corners on a rubber roof they were installing. Needless to say, you can't have a flame near a rubber roof you are installing. The flash point of the glue is so low a spark from static could ignite it.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    I've never considered my formal education as an end-all result, but simply one tool of many to gain experience quicker to perform a job. Formal education is diminished as a useful tool without a solid work ethic, common sense, and applicable social skills.
    As others have stated formal education in many (not all) situations isn't as valuable as common sense and experience.
    IMHO

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I just got the piece of paper so I wouldn't have to keep proving myself to a bunch of HR mental deficients. I'm confident in myself that anything I haven't already done I could figure out, like brain surgery or internet hacking. I'm still tempted to do some cloning. If I could make a million clones of me, the world would be a much better place. Or worse. It'd be weirder anyway.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I have an honorary Ph.D. in "Bar Setting"

I have an actual PHD.
    317PW1SB5FL.jpg

Top Bottom