Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To me this is pretty simple. I served most of my adult life in the military and have known many people who have given their lives for that flag. But it wasn't really the flag that they died for. It was the ideals that the flag represents. The flag itself is just a piece of cloth. While we hold it in very high regard and honor and respect it as we should, it is still just that, a piece of cloth. What it represents, of course, is much deeper and more profound. I used to get incensed when I saw some knucklehead burning the flag in protest. My first reaction to this story was very similar. But that is just emotion. After some reflection I realize that the act of burning the flag, or kneeling for the anthem, is an act of ignorance. Think about it. They are burning or disrespecting the very symbol of their right to protest. In many countries around the world they might already be in jail. In the good old U.S. of A. they are free to express their contempt for their country and its symbols. I understand they are trying to call attention to what they perceive as injustice. This is an effective tool as it triggers emotions in most all of us. But when I think of those folks I have known and the thousands upon thousands I never had the honor to meet I realize one thing. They did not die for a piece of cloth. They died to preserve a country where every citizen has a right to be heard. In these times where the first amendment is under direct attack and protesters are doing their level best to shut down free speech simply because they don't agree with it I find myself heartened by these players' actions. It lets me know that freedom still exists in our country and that my friends and those thousands of others did not die in vain.

Well said my friend.

Well said.

I till get seriously irritated at a flag burner. Maybe it is just the idiot doing the burning that gets my hair up.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    To me this is pretty simple. I served most of my adult life in the military and have known many people who have given their lives for that flag. But it wasn't really the flag that they died for. It was the ideals that the flag represents. The flag itself is just a piece of cloth. While we hold it in very high regard and honor and respect it as we should, it is still just that, a piece of cloth. What it represents, of course, is much deeper and more profound. I used to get incensed when I saw some knucklehead burning the flag in protest. My first reaction to this story was very similar. But that is just emotion. After some reflection I realize that the act of burning the flag, or kneeling for the anthem, is an act of ignorance. Think about it. They are burning or disrespecting the very symbol of their right to protest. In many countries around the world they might already be in jail. In the good old U.S. of A. they are free to express their contempt for their country and its symbols. I understand they are trying to call attention to what they perceive as injustice. This is an effective tool as it triggers emotions in most all of us. But when I think of those folks I have known and the thousands upon thousands I never had the honor to meet I realize one thing. They did not die for a piece of cloth. They died to preserve a country where every citizen has a right to be heard. In these times where the first amendment is under direct attack and protesters are doing their level best to shut down free speech simply because they don't agree with it I find myself heartened by these players' actions. It lets me know that freedom still exists in our country and that my friends and those thousands of others did not die in vain.

That's an excellent viewpoint from the other end of the spectrum. While I would never do anything similar to Kap (and not just because my father would slap the teeth out of my mouth), I do understand why he's did what he did, and respect his right to do so. He put his livelihood and reputation on the line for his ideals, and both have suffered greatly... and yet, I am unaware of him complaining. I can't help admire (not the act but the commitment) anyone who is so staunch in their beliefs.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That's an excellent viewpoint from the other end of the spectrum. While I would never do anything similar to Kap (and not just because my father would slap the teeth out of my mouth), I do understand why he's did what he did, and respect his right to do so. He put his livelihood and reputation on the line for his ideals, and both have suffered greatly... and yet, I am unaware of him complaining. I can't help admire (not the act but the commitment) anyone who is so staunch in their beliefs.

Depends on the belief.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Birds Away again.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

True to a degree. I doubt we will see him in a bread line anytime soon. But, you are correct in that he has taken a stand and suffered without complaint as far as I can see.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not sure where this decline stands but Moms have already have been keeping their baby's out of football for awhile now.

In all of this kids no longer gather for a game at the park. When I was younger and even my kids there was always a game of football or baseball somewhere even if it was just 6 kids in our back yard. You just do not see this much anymore.
    Are kids these days sissy's. Helicopter parents. Social media. Bravo Sierra bully activity's in the local parks.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

That's too bad. I'm a big football fan, especially college football. I used to follow the NFL too. During cold, wet fall weather, I'd be watching football morning till night--both college ad pro. I'd listen to tv/radio programs about the sport and comb through magazines and papers looking for news about my favorite teams.

But I've all but given up on NFL ball. I don't know if I'd go watch the Colts live now, if you gave me the tickets. I'll still watch their games on tv -- if it's convenient but that's about it. And a large part of that reason is politics and their SJW angles. I might have to pur up with hearing about in other places in my life but sports is optional and I don't have to subject myself to that inanity when all I want to is watch a game. The NFL is after another demographic than me. As I'm learning, I can live with that.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

This is where this discussion belongs. It belongs in the public square where good ideas should survive the harshest criticism and bad ideas should be allowed to die. Kaepernick has a right to his own beliefs, and he has a right to express those beliefs. But he doesn't have a right to have his beliefs and actions go unscrutinized and uncriticized. His blackness gives him no special protection from public scrutiny anymore than anyone of any other race.

Kaepernick is full of **** and it's right that people should be able to stand up and say what **** he's full of.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Frankly I think his critics give him much more importance on this issue than his supporters. You know that happens sometimes.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This is where this discussion belongs. It belongs in the public square where good ideas should survive the harshest criticism and bad ideas should be allowed to die. Kaepernick has a right to his own beliefs, and he has a right to express those beliefs. But he doesn't have a right to have his beliefs and actions go unscrutinized and uncriticized. His blackness gives him no special protection from public scrutiny anymore than anyone of any other race.

Kaepernick is full of **** and it's right that people should be able to stand up and say what **** he's full of.

This is a telling statement Jamil. I wonder how many others people think the same way. I thought Kap was under scrutiny because he took a knee, but obviously seem to think that he and his supporters believe it's because he is black. The indication is that if a white person had done the same thing, the backlash wouldn't have been so harsh. Where is that mentioned, Jamil? Kap's protest may be because of what he personally thinks concerning the treatment of black people, but doesn't translate to his personal scrutiny being about anything other than his act.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is a telling statement Jamil. I wonder how many others people think the same way. I thought Kap was under scrutiny because he took a knee, but obviously seem to think that he and his supporters believe it's because he is black. The indication is that if a white person had done the same thing, the backlash wouldn't have been so harsh. Where is that mentioned, Jamil? Kap's protest may be because of what he personally thinks concerning the treatment of black people, but doesn't translate to his personal scrutiny being about anything other than his act.

For a minute there, I thought you said "blacklash"....but that's just wrong.

Is my inherent bias showing?

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    That's too bad. I'm a big football fan, especially college football. I used to follow the NFL too. During cold, wet fall weather, I'd be watching football morning till night--both college ad pro. I'd listen to tv/radio programs about the sport and comb through magazines and papers looking for news about my favorite teams.

But I've all but given up on NFL ball. I don't know if I'd go watch the Colts live now, if you gave me the tickets. I'll still watch their games on tv -- if it's convenient but that's about it. And a large part of that reason is politics and their SJW angles. I might have to pur up with hearing about in other places in my life but sports is optional and I don't have to subject myself to that inanity when all I want to is watch a game. The NFL is after another demographic than me. As I'm learning, I can live with that.
    I too feel the same way.I am bombarded with politics 24/7,and the last place I want to see it in football.If Payton Manning protested during a game the killing of the whales,I would feel the same way.Kaep could have choose another platform for his protest to sow the wind and reap less whirlwind.It was his choice.I do respect his right to protest,but he choose poorly.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I too feel the same way.I am bombarded with politics 24/7,and the last place I want to see it in football.If Payton Manning protested during a game the killing of the whales,I would feel the same way.Kaep could have choose another form of protest to sow the wind and reap less whirlwind.It was his choice.I do respect his right to protest,but choose poorly.

Do you even football, bro?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom