• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sports guy on 59 news went ballistic on this today, condemning anybody who didn't agree with it and him as racists. It was irritating so I turned the tv off.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mission accomplished

Cs-BqBYWIAAKcH8.jpg:large

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    29% that's a fair amount. But I'll offer this nugget, 1966, Martin Luther King Jr was the most disliked man in America, 63% unfavorable. In current times, he's in the mid-90s%

Your implication that history will revere Kupernick in the same vein as Dr. King is, to me, more than ludicrous. Kupernick has risked no personal blood nor treasure and I doubt he will. His failing career is not likely to be negatively impacted by a diminution of his contract. His employers apparently lack the fortitude to impart any type of sanction against him.

His actions give meaningless word play to a real problem - but impart no solution nor plan of action to make a real meaningful impact.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Your implication that history will revere Kupernick in the same vein as Dr. King is, to me, more than ludicrous. Kupernick has risked no personal blood nor treasure and I doubt he will. His failing career is not likely to be negatively impacted by a diminution of his contract. His employers apparently lack the fortitude to impart any type of sanction against him.

His actions give meaningless word play to a real problem - but impart no solution nor plan of action to make a real meaningful impact.

That's not the point. MLK Jr shed both blood and treasure, and at the time was still looked upon unfavorably. I can say with almost complete confidence, that history will look back on Kap favorably. Keep in mind that generally speaking, it was your parents and grandparents that thought ill of Dr King, and their subsequent children believed differently. I'd imagine the same thing will happen again, especially considering the way the nation has been trending.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So now protesting the anthem of a nation that affords you freedom to do so is now equivalent to marching through cities who specifically work to deny freedom.

Dr. King has been lowered to the level of an overpaid brat. I wish I could be surprised.

And Kut, you're right in the sense that this will be viewed favorably by some future people, because the narrative has been set already by the sports media. But I think history will get this part right: they will relegate Kaepernick to trivia where he belongs, and King will continue to rightly hold a place of high regard.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Kaepernick and Obama will both go down in history as opportunists who both could have been successful with race relations, had they chosen an inclusive rather than divisive path. Sadly they will have similar notoriety to Jackson, Sharpton and those rioters who loot and burn.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's not the point. MLK Jr shed both blood and treasure, and at the time was still looked upon unfavorably. I can say with almost complete confidence, that history will look back on Kap favorably. Keep in mind that generally speaking, it was your parents and grandparents that thought ill of Dr King, and their subsequent children believed differently. I'd imagine the same thing will happen again, especially considering the way the nation has been trending.
    Dr. King did so in a time when there truly was widespread public and institutionalized oppression, and he did it with grace and honor, in a peaceful manner. I wish today's protesters could take the same tack (not saying the anthem kneelers are violent, just misguided). I submit that the perceived oppression that they're protesting against doesn't exist on a scale anywhere close to what it was in MLK's day.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Dr. King did so in a time when there truly was widespread public and institutionalized oppression, and he did it with grace and honor, in a peaceful manner. I wish today's protesters could take the same tack (not saying the anthem kneelers are violent, just misguided). I submit that the perceived oppression that they're protesting against doesn't exist on a scale anywhere close to what it was in MLK's day.

Of course not, but that's doesn't mean that the situation now is worthy of protest. I can only go by my own personal experiences, and what I see. I've stopped for nothing, followed in stores, had a dog walked through (not around through) my parents car without consent, been straight up called a checkbox, had our PD cleaners decline to wash my clothes because he didn't believe I was an officer, asked countless times if I was selling drugs, had my own PD called in on me as I walked through my neighborhood, had a woman say verbatim "take your hands off me ******, I'm a white woman," asked "can you afford this" in a store and a litany of other things that make me go WTF? I'm a college educated, gainfully employed, multi-lingual, law-abiding (and enforcing), never used a drug, clean cut, articulate, well read, own car/own home having, Southern (yes sir/yes ma'am), please and thank you black guy. And from my friends that are of a similar description, my complaints aren't uncommon.
    I had a complaint one time from an IUPUI professor, because I ticketed him for a U-turn, and gave him a field adjustment after he jumped out of his car and ran into a store (keeping in mind my lights were on). He wrote a letter saying how obviously I wasn't from Hamilton County, and probably from some urban environment because of the way I spoke to a person who doesn't meet the criminal profile. I got another complaint because I gave another guy a ticket, some doctor, and he said "do you know what I've done for your people?" Like a smart ass, I asked "which people, cops?" His complaint referred to me as "the black officer" over and over, nevermind the fact, that my name is on the damn ticket. W-T-F?
    So my experiences, given who I am, I do have to wonder. How are black people who aren't so well off, or articulate, fare? It may be better, but there are still LOTS of people that treat you a certain way simply because of the way you look. Am I bothered by it? No, I got over it as a kid, mainly because I looked at what my parents and grandparents had to go through, and thought "they hacked, so can I," but that doesn't mean I wander the world oblivious. I'm am quite aware of my personal challenges created simply because of the way I look.
    One day, I'll tell you a story that takes the cake, but I really can discuss that here.... and it's not the time a SWAT team in Ozark, AL conducted a takedown of my family because they thought they were running drugs (also a true story. I was away at college)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom