• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I can accept that. But I'm not going to let sexual predators be compared to people that have distasteful, and lawful, opinions. Such a comparison, IS skewed.
    And you have a valid argument there. Where you went off the rails was when you wanted to make it an issue of race.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And that viewpoint was exposed quite vividly.

It's always vivid. If I complained about the oppression of Christian white straight males (let me guess have never seen that, right?), I would be in lockstep with most here, and no one would notice.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There's certainly an argument to be made that Watt deserved the award. But I don't know the criteria for how GQ chose who won. Kaepernick certainly belongs in the discussion, and often such awards are given based on the amount of social upheaval and personal sacrifice associated with that person.

Kaepernick did more to divide than to unite around equal treatment for all. Again. What is everyone talking about? Equality? No. Actually. Now. No one's really talking about it anymore, other than venues trying to cash in on leftist virtue-signaling. The NFL just had their tribute to armed services. No one is kneeling anymore, or at least, no one is talking about Kaepernick's cause anymore. At most they're talking about Kaepernick, like plastering his face on a magazine that has venerated the likes of sexual predators.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kaepernick did more to divide than to unite around equal treatment for all. Again. What is everyone talking about? Equality? No. Actually. Now. No one's really talking about it anymore, other than venues trying to cash in on leftist virtue-signaling. The NFL just had their tribute to armed services. No one is kneeling anymore, or at least, no one is talking about Kaepernick's cause anymore. At most they're talking about Kaepernick, like plastering his face on a magazine that has venerated the likes of sexual predators.

Because it was hijacked by those who disagreed with him. People who wanted to make it about being personally disrespected.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    And you have a valid argument there. Where you went off the rails was when you wanted to make it an issue of race.

Yeah, the meme was toxic enough without the obviously unfounded racial twist. Why is that always thrown in where it doesn't belong? It's almost like there is an agenda to silence criticism by bludgeoning any opponent, regardless of topic, with the same hammer. To some it has become like the little boy crying wolf. There does need to be a discussion about race relations in this country. But, if you make it every discussion whether it fits the topic or not people are just going to quit listening.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah, the meme was toxic enough without the obviously unfounded racial twist. Why is that always thrown in where it doesn't belong? It's almost like there is an agenda to silence criticism by bludgeoning any opponent, regardless of topic, with the same hammer. To some it has become like the little boy crying wolf. There does need to be a discussion about race relations in this country. But, if you make it every discussion whether it fits the topic or not people are just going to quit listening.

"Quit?" You have to start listening before you can quit.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How would you know? You don't you're just offering an opinion. Hell, Roy Moore has stated that not standing for the flag is against the law. So given his support, one could assume there are plenty of people that think like that. And for the record, I never said that the was implying that Kaepernick was a criminal. What is IS doing, is implying that 2 sexual deviants and one NFL kneeler are of a similar character.

Well. Sure. It's an opinion. And I suppose there are infinite ways to interpret the meme. However, the viable explanations are constrained by rationality. Your interpretation isn't rational because it's about a person being chosen by a magazine to venerate. Why put Kaep's picture in with other people that magazine put on their covers? To imply he's a sexual predator too? Not likely. So then you say it's to imply that the brown person is a criminal? Not reasonable either.

"Two guys accused of committing sexual assault crimes. What's Kap's crime?... oh right... brown skin."

Nah. You got trolled. It's okay. It happens. You feel passionately about something, and it skews your perspective. That perspective got exposed. So what. But. Maybe next time. You question yourself if the thing is really racist. Or is it about something else.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Because it was hijacked by those who disagreed with him. People who wanted to make it about being personally disrespected.

LOL. Dude. You **** on someone's sense of patriotism and they're not going to pay attention to your cause. They're going to pay attention to you ****ting on their sense of patriotism. I told you that in not so many words all throughout this. It's the wrong venue to use if you're really serious about solving the problem. But, you can't see that. You haven't seen that throughout. You've insisted that the same strategy worked for MLK. You don't even see that it wasn't the same strategy.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    LOL. Dude. You **** on someone's sense of patriotism and they're not going to pay attention to your cause. They're going to pay attention to you ****ting on their sense of patriotism. I told you that in not so many words all throughout this. It's the wrong venue to use if you're really serious about solving the problem. But, you can't see that. You haven't seen that throughout. You've insisted that the same strategy worked for MLK. You don't even see that it wasn't the same strategy.

I didn't say that. What I said was that MLK's protests were less popular than Kap's.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    "Quit?" You have to start listening before you can quit.

I think that's unfair. You see things from your perspective. I get that. But other people seeing things from their perspectives doesn't mean they're not listening to you. I listen to you. Sometimes I think you have some really good things to say from your perspective. And sometimes I think the things you say indicate that your perspective is skewed from reality. Not every statement people are making means the thing you think it means concerning race. You tend to hear dog whistles that aren't there. Sometimes they are. Sometimes they're conspicuously missing.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Naw most are at the cleaners due to regular use.

I think you don't realize the pain such suppositions cause. There are an awful lot of well meaning but imperfect people who truly want to rid this country of the blight of racism. So to suggest that they are closet klan is demoralizing at the very least.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I didn't say that. What I said was that MLK's protests were less popular than Kap's.

Patato Pah-tah-toe. Okay. Let's take it the way you said it then. Same point. You used it to justify Kaep's strategy. And you don't even see that the two bear no equivalence.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Patato Pah-tah-toe. Okay. Let's take it the way you said it then. Same point. You used it to justify Kaep's strategy. And you don't even see that the two bear no equivalence.

Exactly..... I'm just a regular potato guy myself.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think you don't realize the pain such suppositions cause. There are an awful lot of well meaning but imperfect people who truly want to rid this country of the blight of racism. So to suggest that they are closet klan is demoralizing at the very least.

Well, when people talk about how lucky black people in America, today, were to have ancestors that were kidnapped from Africa, brought here, and endure hundreds of years of slavery... without pushback, other than from the "resident black guy," I'm not all that convinced.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Kut. Wow. You really did get trolled by a meme. Once again, isn't implying that Kut is a sexual predator. No one to my knowledge has ever accused him of that. That's utterly nonsense. It's not implying he's a criminal. There's nothing about that meme, except to a biased person, that should convey that meaning. You pulled that from thin air.

And hence the classic troll. A classic troll says something that has an obvious meaning to most people, but it's said in a way you know your opponents will take the wrong way, thus exposing their thinking.

You keep harping about Kut getting "trolled", but I'm not sure that your own perceptions aren't tilting your opinion maybe just a little.

If someone put my picture up next to pictures of others, who were unsavory characters and said that I was "In their company", I'd want to have a "face-to-face conversation" with that guy (as Churchmouse says).

The meme doesn't outright say that Kaep is a sexual predator, but to say that it's totally off-base to think that, in my mind, shows your own mind-set. That meme was conceived so that the obvious implication could be denied.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom