• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Some people just unintentionally mix their metaphors. You should hear my wife. Maybe don’t assume malice for what is easiest explained by mistakes. Everyone on each side has to scrutinize every word-choice and infer nefarious motives, to confirm what they already believe about the person. Of course you’ll believe America oppress black people if you already believe it does. How about just stop caring that some people use clumsy language?

If one apologizes, then one can be forgiven for a slip of the tongue. Given the context where this owner made the statement, it's hard for a player (and those who agree with them) to not care how that message was relayed.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If one apologizes, then one can be forgiven for a slip of the tongue. Given the context where this owner made the statement, it's hard for a player (and those who agree with them) to not care how that message was relayed.

Nah, I ain’t buying that. You’re seriously stereotyping an entire region? For stereotyping? :rolleyes:

No wonder this country is so divided. Everyone is so divisive. Like water is off a duck’s ass, so are the words of a fool. If everyone sought less moral outrage to find in everyone’s words, people would care much more about things that really matter. Don’t become subsumed with the words of people you disagree with.

I’m not saying words don’t matter at all. Sometimes they’re predictors of intentions. But jeez.

If hou want to mince words, that dude just called the NFL a prison! Why isn’t the NFL offended by that?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Nah, I ain’t buying that. You’re seriously stereotyping an entire region? For stereotyping? :rolleyes:

No wonder this country is so divided. Everyone is so divisive. Like water is off a duck’s ass, so are the words of a fool. If everyone sought less moral outrage to find in everyone’s words, people would care much more about things that really matter. Don’t become subsumed with the words of people you disagree with.

I’m not saying words don’t matter at all. Sometimes they’re predictors of intentions. But jeez.

If hou want to mince words, that dude just called the NFL a prison! Why isn’t the NFL offended by that?

First, I made no statement that could be possibly construed as stereotyping anything. I made a statement that was specific to one person, not a group, not a region, not anything more than that particular individual.
    The owner made that statement during a meeting with other owners. Obviously NFL owners are a very small group. He's attempting to influence the rest of the owners to see it from his point of view when he said "we can't let the inmates run the prison." That's not a statement of the NFL. It's a statement of one owner, who potentially has great influence upon the league due to his stake in the league. If he made a mistake he should apologize. If he didn't, his feet should be held to the fire. The words of a fool don't mean much to most people.... unless that fool is writing your checks. It's not the macro of the NFL, but the micro of that individual team.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    In what prison are all the inmates paid millions of dollars a year?

Obviously, it's a question of perspective. When someone refers to another as being a "pleb," I do not think they are actually referring to the ordinary citizen of the Roman Empire. It's an expression of a relationship dynamic, not to be taken literally.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    First, I made no statement that could be possibly construed as stereotyping anything. I made a statement that was specific to one person, not a group, not a region, not anything more than that particular individual.
    The owner made that statement during a meeting with other owners. Obviously NFL owners are a very small group. He's attempting to influence the rest of the owners to see it from his point of view when he said "we can't let the inmates run the prison." That's not a statement of the NFL. It's a statement of one owner, who potentially has great influence upon the league due to his stake in the league. If he made a mistake he should apologize. If he didn't, his feet should be held to the fire. The words of a fool don't mean much to most people.... unless that fool is writing your checks. It's not the macro of the NFL, but the micro of that individual team.

So he’s saying he’s running a prison?

I regret I used that expression. I never meant to hurt anyone and I was not referring to our players. I used a figure of speech that was never intended to be taken literally. I would never characterize our players or our league that way and I apologize to anyone who was offended by it.”

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So he’s saying he’s running a prison?

I regret I used that expression. I never meant to hurt anyone and I was not referring to our players. I used a figure of speech that was never intended to be taken literally. I would never characterize our players or our league that way and I apologize to anyone who was offended by it.”

It's an expression of a relationship dynamic, not to be taken literally.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Obviously, it's a question of perspective. When someone refers to another as being a "pleb," I do not think they are actually referring to the ordinary citizen of the Roman Empire. It's an expression of a relationship dynamic, not to be taken literally.

It's much like a person living in our modern world trying to say that their experiences equate to living as a slave. I find that completely offensive. To try to conflate living in 21st century America with being a slave is possibly the most idiotic thing I've ever heard and anyone who actually had a slave as an ancestor should be appalled.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    To be honest, I used a similar saying not too long ago. I asked why are the inmates running the asylum? I think he just butchered a fairly common statement, and it was taken the wrong way by individuals looking for an excuse to be offended.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No one has a monopoly on judging on what people should and should not find outrageous.

No. But there’s a range what is reasonably outrageous. And this national “outrage” is exploitative, just poking to poke the Other.

But anyway, he apologized. So, to your own words, forgiven?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    To be honest, I used a similar saying not too long ago. I asked why are the inmates running the asylum? I think he just butchered a fairly common statement, and it was taken the wrong way by individuals looking for an excuse to be offended.
    That’s how I took it. But how dare you deprive one side of their delicious course of outrage.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No. But there’s a range what is reasonably outrageous. And this national “outrage” is exploitative, just poking to poke the Other.

But anyway, he apologized. So, to your own words, forgiven?

This is an opinion.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I think it is an example of why we are at the place we are at, with the constant outrage, that I have seen two reports on tv about this incident and read the article in the newspaper, and it was from reading this thread that I learned what he actually said. Until now I was under the impression that he literally called the players inmates without any other context.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's an honest assessment of those who hold that opinion. It's a dishonest assessment of those who disagree.
    One person says something. Another person interprets the thing said as a stereotype of the person saying it and is offended. Outrage ensues. The outrage is real. The offense is real, the reason is most likely imagined.

The world needs a lot more Yu Darvish’s and a lot fewer outrage hungry ideologues so that we can stop caring so damn much about race.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    World needs to remember the old "sticks & stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me". Geez, so you're offended, you going to wake up with leprosy because of it?

Oh Lawd, I ended a sentence with a preposition, the world will now have leprosy tomorrow!

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Does it seem strange that the NFL is still not at all willing to take the side of the fans?Is it not strange that Goodell will probably got another 5 year contract, considering he increased revenues by 8 billion over 10 years?Is it not strange that after 14 months,the NFL still does not know why fans are turning away?Who is setting the narrative,the NFL or the fans or Trump?I truly think this is a " look,there is a squirrel" moment.Is the NFL trying to bring in the SJWs into the fan base?Again,I wonder if this is a moment in which the NFL can renegotiate contracts?With the brain trauma lawsuits on the horizon,I can't seem to make ANY sense of any of it.One thing for sure,is the arguing will never stop...........have a good day.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Larsonboys78
    Top Bottom