• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I use the Hario:

Amazon.com: Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton Storage Capacity (100g): Manual Coffee Grinders: Kitchen & Dining

8124%2B2WohlL._SL1500_.jpg

mike45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    east central
    Is there that big of a difference in store bought and grind your own. I drink a lot off coffee and am wondering if I am missing out.

You are killing me with this coffee talk****** I need a cup now.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    For optimal flavor, it's best to use fresh roasted beans. They rest 2 days @ r.t. to outgas, then are useable. Best to grind right before using. Grind loses flavors much quicker than whole beans. After 20 minutes, the grind will stilll taste good, but some of the more subtle flavors will be lost. I became a roaster just to taste the difference. If you grind more than a days supply, store it in liquid nitrogen or outer space, or both. Whichever is cheaper. I store my grind in the freezer, in a freezer bag in a glad cup. Fresh ground 2 day old roast smells much better than anything you've ever tasted. You got to get in really close. I could bring some to Union Jack and grind it there. But, then, folks, I will need yer noses.......

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I use an older coffee/spice grinder. Works find for me and I can control the amount of grind by just grinding longer or shorter. I usually grind for one cup or three. You can pick up a newer version for about 10-15 bucks.

I use a reverse press for the 3 cup. Found it at T.J. Maxx and have not seen another. You push the press all the way down, put in the coffee, then pour in the water. When it has steeped long enough you just pull it to the top and it traps all of the grounds between the screen and the top and you can then just empty that out. Slick.

regal-moulinex-coffee-and-spice-mill-505-21744123.jpg

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ah, went and looked at my press and it is made by Trudeau and called a French Pull, the same process that is used by the Starbucks Clover machine. They evidently don't make it anymore. Too bad. There are a lot of instructions how to turn your French Press into a French Pull.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    While we are talking mods and coffee... I LOVE this one...

"Disable" the DRM (Digital Rights management) on the new Keurig 2.0...

(summary: the 2.0 units wont work unless you use Keurig brand cups... No generics, no refillables, etc. you can fool the unit by cutting foils off used genuine cups and putting them over the tops of the generics/refillables)

How To Hack Your Keurig 2.0 | www.whio.com

Last edited:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the topic Fenway

I'm happy with our electric Capresso for every day use, but you all have given me the idea of a manual grinder for a backup or when we have my parents visiting (they wake up easily).

Our current power-outage grinder is simply a mortar and pestle, but that's a lot of work when you make more than a cup. (we boil the water on the grill and use the French Press)

I'm going to put a manual grinder on my wish list.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    While we are talking mods and coffee... I LOVE this one...

"Disable" the DRM (Digital Rights management) on the new Keurig 2.0...

(summary: the 2.0 units wont work unless you use Keurig brand cups... No generics, no refillables, etc. you can fool the unit by cutting foils off used genuine cups and putting them over the tops of the generics/refillables)

How To Hack Your Keurig 2.0 | www.whio.com

Hmmm.... I use a Keurig at my office so that we can make coffee quickly for clients, and so that each person can have their own type. I've heard rumors that the Keurig 2.0 doesn't allow for refillables but their packaging says that it does. I am annoyed that the Keurig I bought in March is starting to fail already, whereas the older ones lasted several years.

IIRC, Keurig evolved from Green Mountain Coffee Company. Once upon a time, Green Mountain offered good coffee blends delivered UPS. I bought their coffee before I ever heard of Starbucks. It's too bad they are now playing a game of outwitting consumers rather than just selling good coffee.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm sure that Keurig will have a 2.0 refillable, but mark my words it will be a painful purchase ($50? more?)

I can understand DRM if they were selling brewers at a loss and expecting to recoup costs via the branded cups, but given the 2.0 units are $100+, screw them!

But for now I'll stick to my $9 walmart brewer. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom