• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    An M1 Garand has been on my wish list for a long time because World War II history is one of my favorite periods of American history. I was browsing the CMP's website today and noticed that almost all the grades are listed as "Sold Out." M1 Garand - Civilian Marksmanship ProgramCivilian Marksmanship Program

For those of you who are more familiar with the CMP than I, is this the end of M1 Garand sales through the CMP? At some point in time, the supplies of M1s will be exhausted. Has this point been reached? Or, did they temporarily suspend sales to allow them time to clear the order backlog? I tried to find info on the CMP's website and forum but was unable to find anything related to the current sales suspension.

Thanks!

Bobby

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    They are mostly gone. The last I read they had a few overpriced M1C and M1D models left on the shelf.

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    Garands are temporaily sold out until they get caught up on orders. If you want a Grand get it soon as the end is near to whe they will be sold out for good

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I am headed over there this weekend, I will get the full story when I am in the CMP store.....but I heard they have no more to sell, the DEMS/PRESS did a "no re import" order, Bill Clinton did the same , so all the lend/lease guns that are off shore are not allowed back in the country and will be destroyed , if you can't outlaw guns, just make someone else do your dirty work ,like destroying historic rifles.

the CMP was a government program , now it is a private org, I think the DEMS did this so they could legally kill the program congress set up in the early 1900's to promote marksmanship

this was done (IMHO) because we know how evil guns are and how scary people with old military guns are

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    I am headed over there this weekend, I will get the full story when I am in the CMP store.....but I heard they have no more to sell, the DEMS/PRESS did a "no re import" order, Bill Clinton did the same , so all the lend/lease guns that are off shore are not allowed back in the country and will be destroyed , if you can't outlaw guns, just make someone else do your dirty work ,like destroying historic rifles.

the CMP was a government program , now it is a private org, I think the DEMS did this so they could legally kill the program congress set up in the early 1900's to promote marksmanship

This is all incorrect information
    CMP does not Import anything so the block on Importing the Korean Garands/Carbines has absolutly no affect on CMP
    When rifles are returned to theUS Army that were loaned to oter countries they are then turned over to CMP
    CMP is not out of rifles, again they are marked as sold out until they catch up on orders. Mark Johnson theDirector of operations stated that they will run out soon unless more rifles are returned from the Army. As I remember the soul last until 2017

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I too will be at Camp Perry on Saturday to shoot the afternoon Garand match. I will stop by the store also. I expect that there will be something posted on the wall regarding this issue. If so, I will take a picture and post it.

No matter if CMP imports or not, there are only just so many rifles that were built. I got one of the biggest serial number rifles back when you could only get one in a lifetime in 1994. It was brand new, never been fired. I will be shooting it Saturday. A few years ago I was 7th overall with this rifle.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I too will be at Camp Perry on Saturday to shoot the afternoon Garand match. I will stop by the store also. I expect that there will be something posted on the wall regarding this issue. If so, I will take a picture and post it.

No matter if CMP imports or not, there are only just so many rifles that were built. I got one of the biggest serial number rifles back when you could only get one in a lifetime in 1994. It was brand new, never been fired. I will be shooting it Saturday. A few years ago I was 7th overall with this rifle.

I wish you God's favor my friend.

That being said, with over 5 million receivers cast, I have to believe the CMP is not exhausted. I have heard that they still have crates that have not been opened. So, it will be interesting what story you hear this weekend.

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    A friend of mine went to a build class at CMP in Anniston, AL.
    It was a three day class where he built his own M1 Garand.
    He said the cost to build was only $300 more than just buying it off the shelf. He also said they didn't have them currently on the shelf due to holding back parts for classes.

Seems like he said it was $1,800 for the class.

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    I wish you God's favor my friend.

That being said, with over 5 million receivers cast, I have to believe the CMP is not exhausted. I have heard that they still have crates that have not been opened. So, it will be interesting what story you hear this weekend.
    Then subtract all the rifles that were lost or destroyed during war, destroyed by the Govt by Capt. Crunch, given or sold to other countiries, given to Verterans groups and rifles held in reserve for Veterans groups . How many does tha leave? I dont know
    Yes there are unopened crates, CMP knows how many serials are per crate. Thing is they may not be complete rifles, may only be receivers or whio knows what condition
    Agin, the Director of Operations said tha if no more rifles are returned by the Army and at current sales rifles will run out in 2017

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Thank you for the replies, everyone! I appreciate hearing from you. It sounds like I had better order mine as soon as the backlog has been cleared.

I would be interested in anything you can find out. Thanks!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Then subtract all the rifles that were lost or destroyed during war, destroyed by the Govt by Capt. Crunch, given or sold to other countiries, given to Verterans groups and rifles held in reserve for Veterans groups . How many does tha leave? I dont know
    Yes there are unopened crates, CMP knows how many serials are per crate. Thing is they may not be complete rifles, may only be receivers or whio knows what condition
    Agin, the Director of Operations said tha if no more rifles are returned by the Army and at current sales rifles will run out in 2017

True enough. Hundreds of thousands, I'm sure. Maybe over a million. Your comments remind me of the Garands stuck in Korea thanks to the current administration.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The moral of the story is, I think, if you're wanting a Garand and you run across one for sale at a decent price, you might want to grab it. They're probably not going to get any cheaper.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Shucks, I was hoping to get one for my wife...as a commemorative memorial for her paternal grandfather who carried one in Europe during WWII.

BTW...we celebrate their 70th Wedding Anniversary tomorrow...at least we still get to speak with him and shake his hand!

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    True enough. Hundreds of thousands, I'm sure. Maybe over a million. Your comments remind me of the Garands stuck in Korea thanks to the current administration.

this is part of the do not reimport band.....thank the dems/current press for this anti gun ..... makes me sick!!!!

Top Bottom