• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    It was billed - after the fact - as a supposed "four minute ad lib". Don't care. I thought it was great. The wife and I were literally holding our sides laughing as he skewered Obama and the Democrats more thoroughly than anyone else I have heard so far. The bit with the "empty" chair was priceless. I've heard some conservatives pan Eastwood's performance, but for people my age, it did the job.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I thought Clint was a flop. He struggled be be intelligible, and spoke very slowly. He's showing his age and the attending reduction in wit.

It came off to me as a contrivance by republicans and frankly, it made them look like they were abusing a frail old man.

I would rather have had a guest appearance by Romney's Dog, complete with WW1 pilot goggles and scarf.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Liberals and many INGOers will think it makes no sense because it requires two things they do not posess; capability for abstract thought and a sense of humor.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Don't confuse misunderstanding with perfect understanding and disapproval.

I understood what it was all about-- and I think it was a mistake.

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I thought Clint was a flop. He struggled be be intelligible, and spoke very slowly. He's showing his age and the attending reduction in wit.

It came off to me as a contrivance by republicans and frankly, it made them look like they were abusing a frail old man.

I would rather have had a guest appearance by Romney's Dog, complete with WW1 pilot goggles and scarf.

Wonder how slow we will talk at 82, ad libbing with no script, no teleprompter, in front of thousands in a live audience and millions of television viewers? Just say'in. Whether you liked or disliked what he said, you have to admit it took guts to speak your mind, off the cuff, knowing how the majority of Hollywierdos ( many liberals and most of the media) have... (borrowing Benard Goldbergs book title) " A Slobbering Love Affair" with Obama. I honestly respect Eastwood.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I don't want to hear any whining in the futrue from conservatives about the office of the president being disrespected. That was my only take away. Sort of tacky for a convention. In addition, it seems as if I read the sentence Rommney aides back off/distance...a few too many times this election.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    I honestly didn't think Clint was very good. Seemed almost senile...lol. The whole bit about him talking to Obama while in the chair, just didn't seem natural. I still love Clint though....I just don't think it was his finest hour.

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    The empty chair was a normal occurrence in comedy in years gone by. It was a comedic (but truthful) skit for crying out loud. Give the 82 year old that doesn’t need a teleprompter a break. Eastwood is more a Libertarian than a Republican at times, more Democrat than either at others. He cares more about America than political affiliation. He simply stated his thoughts how he wanted to state them. Didn’t like it? I’m sure if the past is any indication of his beliefs in America, and what he thinks of others opinion, he probably doesn’t give a rats arse.:twocents:

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I thought he did very well for a 82 year old guy. The empty chair reminded of the roasts they use to have, the guy being roasted would sit in that spot next to the podium.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I enjoyed it. It was sort of like that old friend spinning a yarn... A little slow, a little disjointed, but as I watched it, I tried to look past that stuff and remember that old friend the way he was.

As I watch the news, a lot of folks are making a big deal of it. I dont get it. It was entertaining, but it doesn't seem that big a deal to me. I guess a legend, maybe a little past his prime, poking a little good natured fun at the media darling-president, makes for an convenient, easy, target.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    The empty chair was a normal occurrence in comedy in years gone by. It was a comedic (but truthful) skit for crying out loud. Give the 82 year old that doesn’t need a teleprompter a break. Eastwood is more a Libertarian than a Republican at times, more Democrat than either at others. He cares more about America than political affiliation. He simply stated his thoughts how he wanted to state them. Didn’t like it? I’m sure if the past is any indication of his beliefs in America, and what he thinks of others opinion, he probably doesn’t give a rats arse.:twocents:

Very fair and insightful post, my friend! :yesway: :yesway:

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012

Well I think he did great. I heard on the Dana show today he ad-libbed (spelling?) The entire skit. I don't think he deserves any of the criticism he is getting.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    It's always hard to watch our heroes get old,even our screen heroes. It's not unusual for someone
    in film to have difficulty speaking ad lib. Seriously, have you ever heard Sean Penn speak. Without
    a script he's like the village idiot. Jimmy Stewart (who's work I love) stuttered terribly off script.
    Marlin Brando was ok in an interview but used cue cards on set.
    It was refreshing to see someone from the left coast reveal some conservative leanings, if only
    for a few minutes. I don't believe his halting pace was caused by his age, I'm more inclined
    to believe the teleprompter story.
    Without a teleprompter Obama would still be a teacher, and probably a poor one.
    The few times we've heard him without one he's almost as bad as Sean Penn.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    I thought it was fresh and funny and entertaining. Clint is getting up there in years. He ain't as sharp as he used to be but he definitely got the job done! Good to see him out and up on stage!

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    I thought he was a class act! Very endearing. And that Biden comment? "Kind of a grin, with a body behind it." LOL :)

Top Bottom