Classic Car Pics. Yours not yours, all things cool or not so cool.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikek

What, Me Worry??
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 24, 2019
    mooresville
    I have- but only 2.

In high school, my buddy (ended up being my best man) had a '63 Studebaker Lark. It's where I learned 3 on the tree:

View attachment 192907

The second 3 on the tree I drove was an '82 Chevy pickup we took in trade at the dealership I worked at in the eraly '90s. It had the inline 6 250, the 3 on the tree, a vinyl bench, rubber floor mat and AM radio. I didn't know they were still selling the 3 on the tree in '82.
    Me either and that’s a nice Lark

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My mothers '61 Falcon had column shift as well as her '67 Biscayne. Grandads Rambler was column shift. Those were my early drivers. 4 of my first 5 cars came from the factory as column shift. They were really common in the 60's cars, and least in the poor neighborhoods.

When the column linkages wore out in GM cars, and started jamming up, the cheapest (and coolest) fix was a floor shift conversion. Even JC Penny sold the "AFX" floor shift kits. Of course the "8 Ball" shifter knob was a mandatory option.

I know a lot of people who have never driven any manual transmission, let alone a column shift.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    My mothers '61 Falcon had column shift as well as her '67 Biscayne. Grandads Rambler was column shift. Those were my early drivers. 4 of my first 5 cars came from the factory as column shift. They were really common in the 60's cars, and least in the poor neighborhoods.

When the column linkages wore out in GM cars, and started jamming up, the cheapest (and coolest) fix was a floor shift conversion. Even JC Penny sold the "AFX" floor shift kits. Of course the "8 Ball" shifter knob was a mandatory option.

I know a lot of people who have never driven any manual transmission, let alone a column shift.
    Did exactly this to my 69 Chevy pickup truck. Column was wore out whenever I purchased it and in less than 2 years I got tired of jumping out, opening the hood, pulling the shift rods back into alignment, jumping back in and closing the door at stop lights.

My answer was a floor shift.

Reactions: Leo

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have- but only 2.

In high school, my buddy (ended up being my best man) had a '63 Studebaker Lark. It's where I learned 3 on the tree:

View attachment 192907

The second 3 on the tree I drove was an '82 Chevy pickup we took in trade at the dealership I worked at in the eraly '90s. It had the inline 6 250, the 3 on the tree, a vinyl bench, rubber floor mat and AM radio. I didn't know they were still selling the 3 on the tree in '82.
    When I was in grade school my dad had a Studebaker Lark wagon. It was black with a red pleather interior. I remember going on vacation riding in the back cooking under all that glass and no AC! This was pre interstate days so it was all small highways and some of those were pretty steep and twisty going through the Smokey Mountains. I remember waiving at the truckers and trying to get them to blow their horns!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I’ve lost all of my old photographs except for a few. This is the Scirocco I roared around in while I was in college and hitting the bars. I sure wish I had that car back as it was a blast to drive and handled like a slot car!

Attachments

• DC262633-4C21-4083-A4A4-D3002301CCE8.jpeg
      DC262633-4C21-4083-A4A4-D3002301CCE8.jpeg
      207.3 KB · Views: 12

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Did exactly this to my 69 Chevy pickup truck. Column was wore out whenever I purchased it and in less than 2 years I got tired of jumping out, opening the hood, pulling the shift rods back into alignment, jumping back in and closing the door at stop lights.

My answer was a floor shift.
    I did the same to my '69 Chevy pick up. :) B&M if I recall.

Top Bottom