• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yes. How prophecy is interpreted or understood has a lot to do with the theological understanding of what is Church.
    I don't think Romans 11 needs interpretation its pretty plan spoken. Other than from Greek to English. I should probably check the language of the Greek on this chapter to see if my English translations are doing a decent job.

I do also take into account Jewish idioms and culture when I read and study scripture as well.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The people I ran across belive that Israel has been replaced by the church, yet Paul and prophecy off the top of my head says very much differently Romans chapter 11 for one instance.
    I don't think in terms of New Israel or Old Israel and I admit I don't know all the terms the Protestant world has come up with.

What I do believe is the Church is the continuation of Israel.

It can be seen in the original languages. The Hebrew word qahal gets translated into the greek word ekklesia in the Septuagint and ekklesia also appears in the NT.

That is one reason I believe the Church is the continuation of Israel.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Indeed. In our liturgy, we sing the Song of Simeon every Sunday after communion. One of the lines is, "The glory of your people your chosen Israel." It makes me cringe a touch every time because Israel and the church are not the same, but indeed, like the Israelites, we are called to be separated from the world and chosen by God.
    Here is how we sing it at the end of Vespers. Curious now about chosen vs people. Now I got some Greek to look into.

Lord, now let your servant depart in peace, according to your word; for my eyes have seen your salvation which you have prepared in the presence of all peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for the glory of your people Israel.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You know more about all this Protestant Stuff than I do. Fill me in! :)

It seems replacement theology came out of dispensationalism or is that a bad google search?
    I think so, but I don't want to get beyond my skis on this. I'm not sure if it's also related to dominionism or not.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Monday, I go in for my first "major" surgery. I am having a knee replacement. It is expected to take all day and at the end of it they expect me to walk out. First I am thankful that medicine has advanced that far but that doesn't alleviate anxiety :)

For me, the surgery couldn't happen at a better time. Tonight, after Vespers, I can make my confession. Tomorrow is the Feast of Pentecost where I will receive anointing with Holy Chrism, and Monday is Holy Spirit day. If I do go, I couldn't be more ready.

Wife is well planned for and taken care of financially if something does happen. I won't say goes wrong because my prayer is always "Thy will be done."

Surgery is scheduled for 930 am. Appreciate prayers that the the Lord's will be done. If He wills I wake up, let it be. If He wills I heal quickly, let it be, but most of all pray for what I CAN control with the Lord's help. May I not wallow in self pity from pain, may I not be a burden on my wife needlessly, may I not fall into complaining, whining, anger, resentment, or any other temptation but that, if I awake, I thank God in all things, that I live in a time that this surgery is even possible, that I am healthy enough to have it, and that I use this "down" time to read God's word, pray earnestly, and become ever more grateful that I have been given a life to live.
    Well. Last Monday I was officially back at "work" although it was WFH. Tomorrow I begin full duties. Thanks to all of you.

I can hyperextend my new knee better than my old knee. My only concern is I can't rock back on my heels as I used to which is nice when airing up tires, crawling under vehicles, tractors, installing water heaters and stuff.

Over all its gone well, I keep myself sore from trying to bend it though as I want matching ranges of motion. I hope I can still get it.

The only thing I noticed it has really affected for the "religious" crowd. I am used to making prostrations, into the hundreds during Lent, and others here and there throughout the year along with kneeling like you see in those churches with kneelers on the backs of pews. Except in an Orthodox Church there aren't usually pews or kneelers, You just kneel on the floor. Well I don't have the same sense of balance. When I kneel unassisted with my legs at a 90 deg angle, I keep falling over. Doctor said I may have to use a pillow.

And since its a gun forum, one way I got my leg to straight and hyperextend was taking my vest harness with plates installed and hanging it over my knee with my heels up on a chair. :)

Who says you hope you never has to use it :) LOL

I am trying to avoid that :)

Top Bottom