• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have only heard about it and I would like to go this year. I would ideally like to find somewhere to set up my small pop up camper and get around during the day on my bicycle with a fold up chair. How realistic would that be? How crowed and spread out is the venue? What else can you guys tell me about it? Any local farmers here that would let me camp on their property?

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I've seen people camping tent/RV on the north side of the parking lot(field) right along 63. Doesn't ever seem anywhere near full up there - but its an open field without anything resembling shade. It is an easy walk from the parking field into town and up and down the hill. A bicycle would make it quicker, but it is a small town. Right up 63 is the county fairgrounds at Cayuga, see people camping all the time there - and there is shade. It has always just been a day trip for me, but I'm local.

Press release from last year:
    {AUDIO: ”If you’re out on the highway (route 63) please be patient. Make sure you’ve got a full tank of gas. It’s going to take you a little while to get into town if you come on Saturday or Sunday midday – or late morning. If you come early you’re probably going to have a better time getting into town. Come a little later, the same thing. We do have camping – first come, first served, if you want to try to camp. But please be patient with all of our law enforcement and emergency services who are trying to get you into this as best they can – into a small town that was not built for that kind of traffic.”}
    Additional information about the Newport Antique Auto Hill Climb can be found at www.newporthillclimb.com.

Doesn't look like the website is working, at least for me.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI

VostocK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    I watched the video and 3/4 the way thru it, i said nope..not another blueberry festival turned into a damn craft show with over priced food and water.
    Sometimes I feel like that too. I have watched a couple events over the years become too cooperate with too many venders who charge way too much for low quality items, or watched crowd sizes grow to the point parking becomes a nightmare and the hassle of dealing with the crowds and long lines make it seem like its not worth it anymore.

But deep down I have a feeling I just can't shake, that someday, I'll long for the "good ol days" when a guy could round up the wife and kids on a Saturday, hop in the truck and head out for a small town (that most have never heard of) to enjoy a nice fall afternoon at an event like this (that most have never heard of).

Judging only by the video, it looks like the kind of gathering where mostly decent people with similar interests and values come together to have a good time. Maybe I am looking at the world through my Norman Rockwell brand Rose-Colored Glasses, but that looks like an event that has a wholesomeness to it that is quickly becoming a thing of the past. Good clean fun as the older generations used to call it.

It looks like one of the few remaining places where people can gather without the tension that one feels around large crowds in big cities. I highly doubt there is going to be a large drunken brawl break out. I doubt there will be much in the way of theft or vandalism. There will probably wont even be much in the way of random arguments or even unkind remarks between strangers. And I bet you wont smell weed everywhere and I bet you wont see anyone "twerking" on the hood of a car. I bet there won't be any shots fired over someone feeling "disrespected".

I bet most of the people there will be polite and courteous to one another, for the most part. I am sure the older locals will discuss how different the event is now from when they were young, and I am sure the local teenagers will talk about how its exactly the same boring thing year after year that never changes.

If I go to this event and end up spending an extra $25 or $50 more than I feel like I should have (for food and drinks), it will still beat a weekend home sitting on the couch.

Somebody way smarter than me ( maybe Mark Twain? ) once said something along the lines of " On your deathbed, you won't regret the things you did in life, you will regret the things you didn't do".

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I watched the video and 3/4 the way thru it, i said nope..not another blueberry festival turned into a damn craft show with over priced food and water.
    I've known about it for years but something always seemed to come up. This year we were planning on going but it sounds like the covered bridge festivals; a bunch of crafters and cheap chinese chit vendors taken over. I'll watch the vids on YouTube.

Top Bottom