CIVIL RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION: General Religious Discussion...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    These last few pages have me longing for Byzantium...

Eastern humor is eluding me now...

Anyways, I hope breakingcontact comes back today to discuss this (like he said he wanted to) I really want to hear what he has to say.

PS - I had this terrible dream last night where I was working at a church where they replaced the wine and the bread with coffee liqueur and chocolate... :n00b:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think foszoe is reminiscing over a time when the Church was - basically - of like mind on dogmatic issues.

Either that or he had a lovely trip to the Mediterranean and can't wait to go back. :)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Anyways, I hope breakingcontact comes back today to discuss this (like he said he wanted to) I really want to hear what he has to say.

PS - I had this terrible dream last night where I was working at a church where they replaced the wine and the bread with coffee liqueur and chocolate... :n00b:

That's served at the altar out by the front door...but the ones I've seen charge for it.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    "I liked him when he went after white people for being religious, but, since he made fun of the brown people religion, I don't like him now."

DiW_NKmUwAAweYa.jpg:small

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    What would you like to discuss?

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I've heard a good many non-believers acknowledge Christianity as not only a good force in the world but one that has protected them from evil forces.

This is often said in between attacks on actual Christian principles.
    "I liked him when he went after white people for being religious, but, since he made fun of the brown people religion, I don't like him now."

DiW_NKmUwAAweYa.jpg:small

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What would you like to discuss?
    Hi!

Well last week I posted this: "However, you still haven't given one modern day example or commented on the few examples I presented. In other words, illustrate some present day instance of this principle being put into practice."

I'm still interest in (A) how this works now (i.e. what about Kim Davis?). and (B) what are some things occurring now that require invoking this "lesser magistrate" concept (no sure if that's the right word).

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Hi!

Well last week I posted this: "However, you still haven't given one modern day example or commented on the few examples I presented. In other words, illustrate some present day instance of this principle being put into practice."

I'm still interest in (A) how this works now (i.e. what about Kim Davis?). and (B) what are some things occurring now that require invoking this "lesser magistrate" concept (no sure if that's the right word).

A. How this works? Rally the lesser magistrates to defy unjust law. Kim Davis was entirely justified in her office to defy that unjust law.

B. Modern day? If a local zoning commission would disallow an abortion clinic from being built, same thing. Using the office of magistrate to restrain evil and promote what is good and right, whether the rest of the layers of government agree or not. The people should rally behind those magistrates and encourage them to uphold just laws and defy unjust laws.

There you go. Answered your questions directly. Thanks for reaching out to bring me back to the thread.

My view can be summed up as follows: The State is Not God

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    As a tangent, I have been meaning to discuss church attendance with you all.

I haven't been in 2 weeks now, which is very unusual and man can I feel the difference in my spirit.

Looking forward to Sunday though I may try to attend a mid-week gathering of some brothers tonight.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A. How this works? Rally the lesser magistrates to defy unjust law. Kim Davis was entirely justified in her office to defy that unjust law.

B. Modern day? If a local zoning commission would disallow an abortion clinic from being built, same thing. Using the office of magistrate to restrain evil and promote what is good and right, whether the rest of the layers of government agree or not. The people should rally behind those magistrates and encourage them to uphold just laws and defy unjust laws.

There you go. Answered your questions directly. Thanks for reaching out to bring me back to the thread.

My view can be summed up as follows: The State is Not God

Who defines what is good and evil? Just and unjust? Seems more like a matter of opinion... and if the "state", by the will of the people, enact certain laws... what makes some okay and some not okay to defy?

Your morals? Not everyone shares those...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Although I join GP's questions, my other primary concern would be the identity of the lesser magistrates? Who decides that? Those who are called?

A "big picture" problem arises in the sense that this same mechanism would allow things like Shariah law to be enforced in certain communities, using the exact same rationale.

I am confused by the double negative in the abortion clinic example. (Although, I do understand that double negatives are quite popular now.) ;) You seem to suggest that a local zoning board (an agent of the government/state) might block an abortion clinic from being built, that would be appropriate. I'm probably reading WAY too much into that hypothetical, because I actually know how those things work. If the abortion clinic is an otherwise appropriate use and conforms to the applicable standards, there's no legal reason for the local board to block it. I think you're saying that the local board would be justified in ignoring the law to block the clinic.

Or are you saying that, in that instance, the local board would actually BE the lesser magistrates?

Can you elaborate on that a bit? I'm sorry if I'm missing something.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Who defines what is good and evil? Just and unjust? Seems more like a matter of opinion... and if the "state", by the will of the people, enact certain laws... what makes some okay and some not okay to defy?

Your morals? Not everyone shares those...

This depends upon how you view God's law as still binding on state and man today.

Top Bottom