• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If it is ever of use to anyone, I have a motion for summary judgment about the whole "we're a church- gvt. stay out of our business" thing that only needs to be updated with this latest case. Discounted for the holidays.

Scientific studies have shown it to be more effective than melatonin for inducing sleep!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Scientific studies have shown it to be more effective than melatonin for inducing sleep!

That's why I drafted a really good one about 10 years ago and have only been revising it since.

Wasn't extremely useful in a case where a local Macedonian Orthodox church was having an Easter party, some Serbian young people showed up and promptly won the lamb which was the door prize, prompting a fight in the parking lot wherein the young Serbs got beat up in tru Christian fashion....bruises on any and all cheeks and elsewhere... and the melee' was only broken up when some right thinking Macedonian youngster fired warning shots....then the Serb yutes sues the church for lax security....but I digress.

[this may be a case that, in Indiana, is only really "common" in the Region]

Y'know, representing churches over the years has produced some interesting cases, but I haven't done that in about 4 years.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    No one splits better than Protestants:
    https://www.npr.org/2020/01/04/7936...announces-proposal-to-split-over-gay-marriage

Kind of makes the word "United" in their moniker ironic.

When only 71% of your membership believe in God, and only 37% think there are moral absolutes, this isn't terribly surprising.

Source: https://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/religious-denomination/united-methodist-church/

Better headline: "White Americans kick black Africans out of UMC"

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Better headline: "White Americans kick black Africans out of UMC"

Never thought about that. It'd be real interesting to see the racial makeup pre- and post- split.

The good news is that UMC can be free to worship their diest as they see fit, without all that pesky absolute nature, morality, and whatnot. This will help them attract the, "I like the tradition and social aspects of Christianity, but I don't like someone telling me what to believe or how to live" crowd.

PCUSA, ECLA, Episcopals, and UCC have a new competitor.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    No one splits better than Protestants:
    https://www.npr.org/2020/01/04/7936...announces-proposal-to-split-over-gay-marriage

Kind of makes the word "United" in their moniker ironic.

When only 71% of your membership believe in God, and only 37% think there are moral absolutes, this isn't terribly surprising.

Source: https://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/religious-denomination/united-methodist-church/

I can tell who's running the show at the UMC now. The people who ignore the Bible keep the name and the "traditionalists" can leave....BTW, friends, it's not about tradition.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

Remember when a Rainbow was just an arch of colors formed in the sky in certain circumstances, caused by the refraction and dispersion of the sun's light by rain or other water droplets in the atmosphere?

Ya... Me neither. :dunno:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom