• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I dont read anywhere that communion should be a thing at all, I read that particular bit as figurative/ a one time thing. If all I had was the bible and no one told me I had to eat a bread wafer and drink wine on Sunday i dont think i would have come to that conclusion. When people started making the religious rules they decided we needed some weird rituals to make it stick and make us feel like we need a hierarchy of humans telling us what to do.

I Corinthians 11:

26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

It is interesting that Communion, or "the Lord's Supper" as we are prone to saying was a source of problems from the beginning. From my view, this isn't so much a reason to not do it, it's a reason to continue to strive to get it right. It is a shame that it is a wedge issue at times. It most definitely was not supposed to be that.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I Corinthians 11:

It is interesting that Communion, or "the Lord's Supper" as we are prone to saying was a source of problems from the beginning. From my view, this isn't so much a reason to not do it, it's a reason to continue to strive to get it right. It is a shame that it is a wedge issue at times. It most definitely was not supposed to be that.

yes, lots of issues w/ it even from the beginning.

And definitely not supposed to be a wedge issue, or used as a political tool.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    So...I would say that the whole "practice" of communion is parenthetical "For I received from the Lord..." in between a whole thing about how (as usual) the Corinthians were screwing things up in the church about being charitable to one another.[/FONT][/COLOR]

For me, it's so much simpler than all that.

"Do this in remembrance of me."

When I'm not helping to give communion at my church and I get to have time to sit and reflect, and read about Jesus time on the cross and his resurrection, and pray ... I'm at a loss for words for that experience. That, to me, is the purpose of the "practice."

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    My friend, if that were the only obstacle, it would have been cleared long ago. :D

Rather, communion/nature of the eucharist is one of those dogmatic things upon which I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

For me/us Catholics, it is quite literally a mystery of faith. I can no more explain or defend it than I can explain or defend the nature of God.

So, it isn't really a fertile area of conversation. IMHO. :)

I don't really have much of a dog in this fight but it is worth reading for the occasional nugget of articulacy such as this. Very well said sir.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    As far as this discussion goes, I understand that anyone can post on INGO, but to have one that openly disbelieves and scoffs at Christianity, give their interpretation/opinion of Scripture is ludicrous.

quote_icon.png
    Originally Spoken by Y--H
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Penned by Peter
    1 Peter 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
    21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of G-d spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost .

The scripture is spiritually discerned and an unbelievers spirit is dead. Jesus said that belief was necessary to Salvation.

quote_icon.png
    Originally Spoken by Jesus
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Penned by John
    John 10:24 Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly.25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.
    26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
    27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
    29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
    30 I and my Father are one.

quote_icon.png
    Originally Spoken by Jesus
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Penned by John
    John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The Holy Ghost dwells in believers and seals until the day of Christ's return.

quote_icon.png
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Penned by Paul
    Ephesians 4:30And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

quote_icon.png
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Penned by Paul
    Ephesians 1:13b In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Note to Lex, I noticed that a member that identifies as a Jew is using the - so I Have reverted out of deference to him. It is more trouble, but respect. If I miss please give me some latitude.

Thanks Tom

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Note to Lex, I noticed that a member that identifies as a Jew is using the - so I Have reverted out of deference to him. It is more trouble, but respect. If I miss please give me some latitude.

Noted. :) Not that I'm any sort of authority about it. :D

Wait.

Oh snap.

Do people think I'm Jewish because of my avatar? Or do you mean someone else?

[This might get awkward.]

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Funny you should mention that...

I was always raised that communion was for baptized Christians only. I had no questions... till I heard a podcast discussing it. I really need to spend more time, but I think we may have taken some passages out of context - especially when you read 1 Cor. together, and in the context of how they were acting (i.e. their class structure).

Have we turned something that was suppose to be a meal in a small community, into a ceremony? And is that wrong?

I'll check out that podcast, thanks. I think there are many things that have become ceremonial or doctrinal that are based on things like class structure at the time that are applied incorrectly today, and for the wrong reasons.

I'm struggling w/ a certain part of church doctrine that the more I read and meditate on it, I keep thinking needs changing. I believe continuation of certain tradition is erecting barriers between believers and Christ. Sometimes we become like the Pharisees who would not help a sick person on the Sabbath.

-rvb

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    For me, it's so much simpler than all that.

"Do this in remembrance of me."

When I'm not helping to give communion at my church and I get to have time to sit and reflect, and read about Jesus time on the cross and his resurrection, and pray ... I'm at a loss for words for that experience. That, to me, is the purpose of the "practice."

I would suggest a word study on the word translated as remembrance

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Communion is a wedge issue in that it decides who is or is not a member of the church no matter if you define church as visible or invisible or whether you believe other individual or someone with pastoral authority makes the decision

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I would suggest a word study on the word translated as remembrance

OK. Done. Very enlightening. It means to recall, remember, bring to remembrance. Basically to keep in mind past events and not let them escape your memory. Keep the warm glow in your heart

In reference to the Christian experience to remember Christ's Sacrifice on the cross his broken body and his shed blood that paid for our Salvation.

I don't have access to the super secret orthodox library so what did I miss.

BTW if a Saved person read the Bible with the guidance of the Holy Ghost they would already know that.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Communion is a wedge issue in that it decides who is or is not a member of the church no matter if you define church as visible or invisible or whether you believe other individual or someone with pastoral authority makes the decision

Ironic, isn't?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'll check out that podcast, thanks. I think there are many things that have become ceremonial or doctrinal that are based on things like class structure at the time that are applied incorrectly today, and for the wrong reasons.

I'm struggling w/ a certain part of church doctrine that the more I read and meditate on it, I keep thinking needs changing. I believe continuation of certain tradition is erecting barriers between believers and Christ. Sometimes we become like the Pharisees who would not help a sick person on the Sabbath.

-rvb

Care to share? (publicly or privately)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

OK. Done. Very enlightening. It means to recall, remember, bring to remembrance. Basically to keep in mind past events and not let them escape your memory. Keep the warm glow in your heart

In reference to the Christian experience to remember Christ's Sacrifice on the cross his broken body and his shed blood that paid for our Salvation.

I don't have access to the super secret orthodox library so what did I miss.

BTW if a Saved person read the Bible with the guidance of the Holy Ghost they would already know that.

I'll take it easy on you because "you can't handle the truth!"

And give you a watered down Protestant viewpoint that touches upon the truth

https://corechristianity.com/resour...ve-misunderstood-do-this-in-remembrance-of-me

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Well thanks for your patronizing attitude, but I will abstain from your traditions of men and take G-d's word at face value.

Talk about Pharisaical Traditions separating us from Christ!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    :chillpill:

Foszoe's just taking the same tone we've taken for years, nothing mean spirited.

To be honest, we Baptist have traditionalized it, too. I can go to any other Baptist church and expect communion to be the same exact food, eaten the same way, in the same order...

That article kind of leads where I'm trying to figure out if I should be - have we turned it into this solemn spiritual self-reflection that it never was? And is that a bad thing? (my answer now is "maybe" and "probably not.")

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Noted. :) Not that I'm any sort of authority about it. :D

Wait.

Oh snap.

Do people think I'm Jewish because of my avatar? Or do you mean someone else?

[This might get awkward.]

Why.....
    Do you lack the foreskin to stay in this conversation?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It is kind of interesting that every Church I have been in (not limited to Baptist Churches by any means) except RC has basically followed...

1Corinthians 11:23For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:24And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
    25After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
    26For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
    27Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
    28But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
    29For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
    For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

Now I must say this is an outline, You can repeat it erratum and nor be wrong. The L-rds prayer is an outline of how we should pray. Many say it verbatim and I would say that if they are using those words to express from their heart their desires, they would not be wrong. Many seem to teach and use it as a magic incantation. Ii it is nothing but a ritual it will most likely do you no good.

I do not look at The L-rds Supper as a ritual, but a time of self examination and appreciation for my Salvation.

I spent a lot of time studying the Bible and comparing it to the sermons and teachings I heard before I landed and settled in an Independent Fundamental Baptist Church. Of all the Churches I've attended they follow the Bible most closely.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    What a minute didn’t Paul write Corinthians ?

Cause you guys know he was well the Antichrist!

proof is found here!
    LAWLESS PAUL

BTW
    This thread is helping immensely in my pursuit to become a prosperity preacher!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom