Not open for further replies.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I mentally turn that around a bit. What happens when AI determines that there is a God and wants to be baptized. ;) :)

("Careful with the water, Father.")

You sprinkler will have an edge if the robots are friendly, but if not, us Baptist will win the robot war. :):

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wait.

Maybe this sub-thread should switch to the church defenses thread? :D

(Seems like our church nursery might as well be a germ warfare armory.)

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Water is only one baptism. ;)

Terminator-Genisys.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I got sucked into watching some You Tube of the KJV only crowd. :nuts:

What bothers me most is the absolute smug attitude and condemnation of everything they are not - regardless of actual scriptural basis. These people are a prime example of the folks that have have determined what color of carpet is sinful and know the exact number of angles that fit on the head of a pin.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a firm believer in truth and Scripture, but this thread is a prime example of all the grey area where we can disagree. There's plenty of points where scripture is unclear; mostly with regard to eschatology and soteriology that it's OK to say "I don't know, and that's OK". *

The YouTuber's page:
    THE BIBLE-BELIEVING FUNDAMENTALIST

And the perfectly matched sarcasm:
    KJV-Only Church Still Staunch Defender Of Early Web Design Principles

* Of course, there's far more points of doctrine where we can proclaim, "I do know!"

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I was raised in a hardcore KJV only denomination. And if you know the story, it is amazing how God worked at that time period with those men to get the KJV made. There is no doubt in my mind that it was God who made all that happen in order to get a translation to the English speaking peoples, and that the KJV is as accurate as English can be. Now, having said that, do I think it’s the ONLY translation you can use? Not at all. It’s what my church uses, but it’s not always what I use for my personal devotions. I completely agree with Jetta that the KJV-only people can be very...uhh....firm in their beliefs, even though the KJV has been revised like three or four times now. IMHO, 17th century English is no longer a spoken language anywhere on planet. I can (and do) read the KJV and understand it easily because it’s all I’ve ever known, so it is kind’ve like a second language to me.

There are right and a wrong ways to translate scripture, and there are right and wrong manuscripts. So if your version uses the right manuscripts and translates literally, then it gets my thumbs up. :yesway:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was raised in a hardcore KJV only denomination. And if you know the story, it is amazing how God worked at that time period with those men to get the KJV made. There is no doubt in my mind that it was God who made all that happen in order to get a translation to the English speaking peoples, and that the KJV is as accurate as English could be.
    My early Baptist experience was in a KJV-only church. It took me a long time to work my way back to a church with "Baptist" on the sign.

The problem is that English is a living language and has changed. In many cases word means are now the opposite of what they were. None the less, the KJV can never be over appreciated for what it did for Christ and the English language (you know how many idioms come from it?!). Just don't tell me that I must hear it from pulpit.

To say that one particular KJV (there were four versions, IIRC), is the only way that God can speak is so demeaning to God and his ability...

FWIW, our church switched from NRSV to ESV last year. I like it, but I also am intrigued with the SBC's Christian Standard Bible, which is an update of the Holman Christian Standard Bible. An honestly, if I'm just reading, I sometimes read the ISV.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    How To Get Along With Christians From Other Denominations

[FONT=&amp]1.) Immediately question their salvation.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]2.) Try to find extremely minor points of disagreement.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    3.) Punch them in the face.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    4.)Use air-quotes every time you call them a “Christian.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    5.) Intentionally misunderstand all their theological statements.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    6.)Make sure you loudly proclaim how much better you are.[/FONT]

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...FWIW, our church switched from NRSV to ESV last year. I like it, but I also am intrigued with the SBC's Christian Standard Bible, which is an update of the Holman Christian Standard Bible. An honestly, if I'm just reading, I sometimes read the ISV.

I have started using the ESV in recent years. Going back to my college days and after, I used a KJV/NIV parallel. My son uses the Christian Standard. My wife lives NIV, but uses ESV as well.

Here's a good article on translations:

Bible Translations: Which One Should I Use? ? BenHammond.org

Of course, I read the Message for comedic value.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom