• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    We were just talking about "respectful" arguments and you throw out an insult.
    Shows real class Benny. :rolleyes:

Insult? (*) much?

I just find it really, really hard to believe you've never even met a PO that has never seen someone die while wearing a seat belt, unless the town you worked in has a population of something similar to Mayberry.

Hell, I live in a small town and have lost track of the # of people I know who have had someone close to them die while wearing a belt.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Insult? (*) much?

I just find it really, really hard to believe you've never even met a PO that has never seen someone die while wearing a seat belt, unless the town you worked in has a population of something similar to Mayberry.

Hell, I live in a small town and have lost track of the # of people I know who have had someone close to them die while wearing a belt.

I'd move if I were you.
    People there are really unlucky!!

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm fine right here...I never said they all died in this town.

You've never worked with a transfer from a big city?

BTW, I'm still wondering how what I said could be even remotely construed as an insult.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I'm fine right here...I never said they all died in this town.

You've never worked with a transfer from a big city?

BTW, I'm still wondering how what I said could be even remotely construed as an insult.
    References to Mayberry, Barney Fife, and Andy Griffith, are usually taken as derogatory by LEO's of my generation.
    Add the "Goofy Noob" smiley and it looks like an insult to me. :dunno:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I could see if I called you Barney, but WTF was wrong with Andy Griffith or the town of Mayberry?

Mayberry was calm and Andy was nice and level-headed...Is that your problem?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If you choose to be a statistic that's your business.
    It's just not fair to the Police, Fire, and EMS personnel who have to drag your corpse out of the vehicle.
    Things like that tend to ruin ones day.
    I'll agree those things tend to ruin ones day. But if you can't handle it, switch to another profession. Yes I know your retired, I'm speaking of those currently in the profession.

I used to do a nasty job with frequent injuries, sometimes fatal, most of them a result of people not following safety rules. I witnessed a few of them and saw the aftermath of others. I did end up leaving that job but not for that reason. Life is not fair, don't expect your job to be. I know you are retired, but if what you saw effected you that bad, you should of left. Or sought counseling. And that is not a slight or an insult. Some people can handle it fine, some people can handle it with talking to someone, and some can't handle it at all. Nothing is wrong with any of them.

In my case I was able to handle it, partially because of my mentality, partially because of what I was exposed to as a youth, and also because I had a ER nurse who discussed her day at the dinner table when I was 12-13 on up.:n00b:

If someone can't deal with it I hold no disrespect for them, there are a few things that will make me puke that almost anyone else would giggle about. Death doesn't bother me, if they void themselves while doing so it does. A guy turns his foot into hamburger with a 47k psi spin tip, I'll joke about firing up the grill. I see a speck of mold on bread, I'm gagging. Everyone is different.

Oh and just to let you know, I dealt with the same kind of "dregs of society" as you did, gang bangers, druggies, alkies, you name it. And probably in a lot higher proportion that you did. But I wasn't tasked in arresting them.

B
    Regardless, my seat belt is on before my car goes into drive.

I think the chances of you surviving an accident are much higher if you are wearing a seatbeltl

To both of the above. I agree, and that is why I wear my seat belt. And make sure my kids are belted in. And anyone else that rides in my car. But that should be my choice not the states, if I chose opposite the results will be on my head.

I I can agree with mandatory safety seats for kids who don't know any better. We don't need to be protected from ourselves. We need to be able to protect ourselves from an overzealous government.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill this is one of the very few times I think I've disagreed with you. And it is only slightly. While I can agree with mandatory safety seats, I hate the idea of it. Yes it does protect those who don't know better, and I don't have a problem with that. What I have a problem with is that while it protects them, it kills parents rights. Where does it stop? Yes it is more dangerous to have a kid sitting loose rather than strapped in, it's also more dangerous for them to ride a bike. Or even leave the house.

If the govt says I have to strap my kids in a car seat until x lbs then a booster seat until x lbs. To ensure their safety. I'm a smoker, can they also say I can't smoke in the car with them? How about my house? How about within eyesight, everyone knows kids imitate their parents(and no purple in that). How about bike helmets? My daughter who is learning to ride a bike wears one, my son wears one when he is on trails, but not just around town. Yes it provides a bit more protection, but odds are not much at in town. If he wrecks, it will be most likely because of a car/bike accident. All the helmet will do in that case is help the funeral director. On trail speeds and a tree, it's a bit different.

But with the seat belt law for kids, it can also apply to a helmet law for kids. And it has. Lafayette has proposed a ban on smoking with kids in the car. What's next smoking with kids in the house? How about grilling with kids on the block? Or a campfire? Or here is one I know will hit you Bill, shooting rifles exposes kids to lead, among other noxious substances, so no-one under 18 is allowed at an Appleseed. Why not they don't know any better, to not expose themselves to it.

We were just talking about "respectful" arguments and you throw out an insult.
    Shows real class Benny. :rolleyes:

Mike, I think your being a bit sensitive. He asked if you worked in Mayberry, aka a small, very low non existent crime rate town. What is the insult in that? Damn I'd almost love to live there myself. I was going to ask the same thing. You were a LEO for over 20 years and you have never responded to or talked to a fellow officer that responded to a fatal accident where the person was wearing a seat belt. That sounds like mayberry to me. And that is not an insult. A EMT on here has stated they he has been to several, and I don't think he has quite 20 years on the job yet. And he's not what would be considered big city.

References to Mayberry, Barney Fife, and Andy Griffith, are usually taken as derogatory by LEO's of my generation.
    Add the "Goofy Noob" smiley and it looks like an insult to me. :dunno:

Barney Fife I can see being offensive. Mayberry and Andy Griffith not really.

And the "goofy noob" smiley I dont' think was directed towards you. I usually use and take the use of it as an expression of for lack of better words disbelief or dumbfoundedness. Not saying lying just beyond the persons experience. In the past couple of hours, I've used it a couple of times. Both towards myself and others, I used it regarding myself in that I couldn't understand it and it confused me. And in regards to others that they couldn't understand the simple controls of a 1911.

Not to put words in his mouth, but I don't think he was calling you a "goofy noob", just that he was dumbfounded that in 23 years as a LEO you never had a fatality wearing a seat belt or talked to someone that had.

"Andy Griffith" should be a compliment.

I agree.

truckie011

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    Cedar Lake, IN.
    Look around your area for key boxes on,
    especially,commercial buildings. There are Knox
    key boxes all around Fort Wayne. Nothing new
    under the sun.

Mark

The only time I have ever seen key boxes like these used, is for the post office to gain access to the hallway mail boxes of apartment buildings. But never for individual homes, apartments, or business.

Top Bottom