• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I thought firefighters and police oficers already had the master keys to every door.

HALLIGAN_001.JPG

battering-ram-full.jpg
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: if they want in my house illegally they better bring more than that! and a change of pants too.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Look at all the empty seats in that meeting. Pathetic.

My town tried to pass an ordinance that gave the town the power to send an agent to "inspect" any rental property at any time. It would affect anyone who rents living space or working space from anyone else. The meeting was packed, overflowing the council chambers, the hallway, out to the front of the building. I'd say 95% of the people were opposed to the idea. The council changed the ordinance, such that the tenant actually had to request an inspector to come.

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    For business it makes sense since no one lives there as a personal residence, etc. For home, no freaking way man !

I suspect many people live at their offices.
    I wonder without knowing if many of them are
    single lawyers. Times are tough. Office homes
    as opposed to home offices. No joke.

Thanks

Mark

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Look at all the empty seats in that meeting. Pathetic.

My town tried to pass an ordinance that gave the town the power to send an agent to "inspect" any rental property at any time. It would affect anyone who rents living space or working space from anyone else. The meeting was packed, overflowing the council chambers, the hallway, out to the front of the building. I'd say 95% of the people were opposed to the idea. The council changed the ordinance, such that the tenant actually had to request an inspector to come.

^THIS^

Back in 1996 we found out a bunch wanted to take an abandonded railbed behind our houses for their "bikepath" (Indy Greenways). I printed up flyers and handed them out to every homeowner along this railbed in the subdivision I live in. We, and others from other additions showed up at the meeting that was held in Speedway and they were amazed, and didn't know what to think. We had over 300 people who came out to protest this land grab. So.. because of this and other reasons, for now the B&O Trail is NOT in Marion County.

To this day I will NOT support ANY business that is donating to this Rails to Trails group. Indiana law states that as soon as a railbed is abandoned it is to revert to the adjoining landowners.

NUMBERS people.. THAT is what will make them sit up and listen.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    ^THIS^

Back in 1996 we found out a bunch wanted to take an abandonded railbed behind our houses for their "bikepath" (Indy Greenways). I printed up flyers and handed them out to every homeowner along this railbed in the subdivision I live in. We, and others from other additions showed up at the meeting that was held in Speedway and they were amazed, and didn't know what to think. We had over 300 people who came out to protest this land grab. So.. because of this and other reasons, for now the B&O Trail is NOT in Marion County.

To this day I will NOT support ANY business that is donating to this Rails to Trails group. Indiana law states that as soon as a railbed is abandoned it is to revert to the adjoining landowners.

NUMBERS people.. THAT is what will make them sit up and listen.

Would you please say more about this? I happen to thing that railways no longer used make great community trails.

Perhaps a separate thread to explore the issues with this. I'm very interested, though admittedly ignorant.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    "Merit of an idea does not depend on the number of people who hold that idea."

Hmmmmm....

Sorta like the health care debate, wouldn't you think.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    A Knox Box on a commercial business is a good idea, actually. Most commercial fire alarms are false alarms, and therefore no reason to break down a door. With a Knox Box, the fire department can now enter and check the problem without having to wait 10-15 minutes for a rep. Without a Knox Box, they will sit outside waiting for a rep if nothing is showing (smoke/fire). On the chance that the alarm is legitimate, those few minutes waiting for a rep could mean the difference between the fire staying in one area to spreading to the entire building.

If I had a rental, I would place a Knox Box on simply because if there was an alarm I wouldn't want to replace a door.

I can understand not wanting cops to have access for a random unwarrented search, but firefighters have no want/reason to just muck about in your house unless its on fire. The knox box key isnt something a FD is just going to kick about all willy nilly.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You don't suppose LE could ever use the FD to gain entrance without a warrant like they do conservation officers?

A Knox Box on a commercial business is a good idea, actually. Most commercial fire alarms are false alarms, and therefore no reason to break down a door. With a Knox Box, the fire department can now enter and check the problem without having to wait 10-15 minutes for a rep. Without a Knox Box, they will sit outside waiting for a rep if nothing is showing (smoke/fire). On the chance that the alarm is legitimate, those few minutes waiting for a rep could mean the difference between the fire staying in one area to spreading to the entire building.

If I had a rental, I would place a Knox Box on simply because if there was an alarm I wouldn't want to replace a door.

I can understand not wanting cops to have access for a random unwarrented search, but firefighters have no want/reason to just muck about in your house unless its on fire. The knox box key isnt something a FD is just going to kick about all willy nilly.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Your govment at work...

We mear mortals apparently have no idea how to protect our properties or even our selves without their intervention...

They got two choices, either move out of the town or city which would limit their contributions through their taxes payed and also stop employing anyone in that town or city.... Or live there and do what is asked and file a theft or break in report with the State against the local council when their lock box key is used to break in and steal their property...

I'd vote for moving out... Ghost towns just disappear....

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Would you please say more about this? I happen to thing that railways no longer used make great community trails.

Perhaps a separate thread to explore the issues with this. I'm very interested, though admittedly ignorant.
    As someone who grew up with a railroad literally in my back yard, I take issue with this. The track running behind my house was on land belonging to my parents. The RR had an easement to use to the land for RR use. If the RR abandoned the track, use of the land would revert to the land owner. In this case, my parents. Under what authority could the local or state gov't violate that agreement and use, or take possession of that land, without any compensation? If ownership of the land in question does not transfer to the state, what rights are retained by the lawful owner? Is the owner not still liable for any injury occurring on "their land", even though they cannot bar anyone from "their land" for any reason or at any time? This not directly at you personally, Dross, but, it seems, lots of people on here talk about what they would do to protect their property rights, but seem perfectly alright taking them from others for their own benefit.

Chesh97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    NE Indiana

That's fine. If a business owner voluntarily wants to participate, more power to them. NO WAY it should be regulated and required. That is my stance on seat belt use as well. If you want to wear it, fine. But the .gov should have no mandates in place making me wear a safety belt.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    That's fine. If a business owner voluntarily wants to participate, more power to them. NO WAY it should be regulated and required. That is my stance on seat belt use as well. If you want to wear it, fine. But the .gov should have no mandates in place making me wear a safety belt.
    It's obvious you've never pulled a dead teenager out of a car after a lousy 35 mph collision slammed him into the steering wheel and crushed his chest because he felt like he had the right to ignore the seatbelt law. :noway: :noway: :noway:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace

These "Rails to Trails" groups have quite a scam going on. They claim to be non profit and want to use either TEA funds (gasoline taxes) OR get the city/county to condemn it for them to obtain control of the land for their trail, and possibly to assist paying to construct it. ALL if not most of this is paid for by the taxpayers, including me along with some donations. All to take my land from me. There have been several trails that cost more per mile to construct than a public highway.:n00b: HUH???

The dirty little secert is, the bike path is only an excuse to gain control of the property. After that is accomplished they contact pipeline, and fiber optic companies among others about granting them easements to run their pipelines or cables. Guess what, after gaining control by using public funds they suddenly are not non profit. Quite a scam huh?

Here in Indy there is another trail called The Monon Trail. I've heard that Indy "claimed" they owned parts of the railbed when they did not. They bought some, and condemned the rest. The trail has been a problem as far as crime is concerned. Criminals stand on the trail and video tape homeowners as far as their comings and goings. So they know when to strike. Criminals now have a direct entrance and escape route. Indy Greenways claims there is no crime on the Monon. They can get by with that since the Monon has no address. IMPD considers the crime happened at the nearest address.

In my case I had to agree with a ruling on ownership handed down from a judge in Carmel. Even though I had a copy of the original deed from the property from 1875 that clearly stated the railroad paid the landowner $500 to buy the materials and build a gate to keep his livestock off the railroad. The judge ruled that the railroad had in fact bought the parcel, and as of now CSX owns it. Shocking development huh?:rolleyes:

For more indepth info Google Nels Ackerson. He was/is a lawyer involved in these matters.

The secret is to gain control over the property, and then they can do with it whatever they please. Bike path, bus line, light rail, many ideas floating around.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    You don't suppose LE could ever use the FD to gain entrance without a warrant like they do conservation officers?

Highly unlikely. I don't know of any FDs that would cooperate with LE to that extent. Its hard enough to get us to move the truck off the road, let alone have us open a door for you.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

Having a lock box thing available as a service if you want it is great: that's the decision of the business owner. I'd rather they just bash my door down personally, but whatever.

However, if some government bureaucrat informs me that I MUST, by law, install and surrender the keys to such a thing? He can pound sand, and a pox upon him and his council.

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Theres no such thing as a property owner in America. The government owns everything in this country, including the land itself. We can, however, rent from them.

Top Bottom