• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    It's obvious you've never pulled a dead teenager out of a car after a lousy 35 mph collision slammed him into the steering wheel and crushed his chest because he felt like he had the right to ignore the seatbelt law. :noway: :noway: :noway:

He does have the right to ignore the law. See the consequences?
    There are consequences to every choice. The glory of stupidity is its consequences make themselves apparent.
    Using your reasoning, what are we going to do with all of the overweight cops, firefighters, and paramedics? They are all slowly killing themselves and knowingly damaging their bodies. There is more research on this then there are on seatbelt use studies.
    The best part is these people made the choice to remain overweight by not modifying their diet or exercising. I suppose this is an ok time to have a choice?
    What about all of the times you have eaten fried or fatty foods? If you work in the medical field, you know this is shortening your lifespan and increasing you chances of stroke, heart attack or DVT correct.
    I don't have a problem with consequences. I accept the fact that I can control somethings. I HAVE choices and the freedom to choose.
    Please tell everyone about all of the accidents where people were killed wearing their seatbelt.
    God decides when your time is up. Making people wear a seatbelt when driving isn't necessarily going to change that.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    There are consequences to every choice. The glory of stupidity is its consequences make themselves apparent.
    Using your reasoning, what are we going to do with all of the overweight cops, firefighters, and paramedics? They are all slowly killing themselves and knowingly damaging their bodies. There is more research on this then there are on seatbelt use studies.
    The best part is these people made the choice to remain overweight by not modifying their diet or exercising. I suppose this is an ok time to have a choice?
    What about all of the times you have eaten fried or fatty foods? If you work in the medical field, you know this is shortening your lifespan and increasing you chances of stroke, heart attack or DVT correct.
    I don't have a problem with consequences. I accept the fact that I can control somethings. I HAVE choices and the freedom to choose.
    Please tell everyone about all of the accidents where people were killed wearing their seatbelt.
    God decides when your time is up. Making people wear a seatbelt when driving isn't necessarily going to change that.

Agreed. I think you're a moron if you don't wear your seatbelt (or a helmet while on a motorcycle), but I shouldn't be able to force you to do it. You're not really hurting anyone but yourself (some will make the claim of using public resources, but a dead rider is probably less of a drain than a seriously injured one).

And Yes, I've known people killed in bike accidents with and without helmets as well as car accidents with and without seatbelts.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    In over twenty three years working the streets, and after working thousands of accidents, I've NEVER seen anyone wearing a seatbelt killed in an accident.
    In fact, I've never met any other Police Officers who have either.
    But!
    If you choose to be a statistic that's your business.
    It's just not fair to the Police, Fire, and EMS personnel who have to drag your corpse out of the vehicle.
    Things like that tend to ruin ones day. ;)
    I'm a firm believer in Darwin's Theory.
    The dumb ones die out, hopefully before they can reproduce.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Avon IN requires it on any commercial/public building that has a fire alarm that automatically calls the fire department. So, that they do not have to destroy the front door in the event of a false alarm.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I believe the current Fire Code in Indiana already requires a state approved key box (and master key) to be located at the main entrance. The Fire Dept. has a universal key for these boxes. In the case of electronic card access, one should also be kept in the box. I think an axe works better.

For business it makes sense since no one lives there as a personal residence, etc. For home, no freaking way man !

This actually very common already. Look around, you'll see them everywhere. I'm not even going to try to quote the code, but basically all business's are required to have them. Has to do with fire codes.
    This is not say whether I agree with it or not, just that's fairly common place already.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    It's obvious you've never pulled a dead teenager out of a car after a lousy 35 mph collision slammed him into the steering wheel and crushed his chest because he felt like he had the right to ignore the seatbelt law. :noway: :noway: :noway:

sad, but his choice. get out of my life govt. thank you very much. people die in tragedies. i had a good friend get hit by a car and a family member too. BAN CARS :rolleyes:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    In over twenty three years working the streets, and after working thousands of accidents, I've NEVER seen anyone wearing a seatbelt killed in an accident.
    But!
    It's just not fair to the Police, Fire, and EMS personnel who have to drag your corpse out of the vehicle.
    Things like that tend to ruin ones day
    . ;)
    I'm a firm believer in Darwin's Theory.
    The dumb ones die out, hopefully before they can reproduce.

i dont worry about whats fair to public servants who choose their professions while im out exercising my rights.

I agree with you on hoping the dumb ones die out before they reproduce:yesway:

tk21k

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    MSG2-Mt Comfort
    Avon IN requires it on any commercial/public building that has a fire alarm that automatically calls the fire department. So, that they do not have to destroy the front door in the event of a false alarm.

The difference between what Avon is doing verse the other city is that Avon requires it if you take action to have an alarm installed that rings to the fire department. If you choose not to have an alarm you are not forced to place a knox box on your property.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Whether the seatbelt would have saved his life is irrelevant, it is a stupid law. Seatbelt law almost cost me a child in a very minor fender bender my wife was in while she was pregnant because that was the only reason she was wearing one, don't get me wrong I think anyone that does not wear seatbelts deserves what they get but it should not be forced upon anyone and then to boot exempt little kids on school buses and LEO and EMS

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    But!
    I'm not a LEO or EMT but I know of several cases where people have died while wearing seat belts. In my town 3 people died in a collision all were wearing their seat belt. My brothers buddy was in an accident where the person that rear ended them died, yes the person that was DRT was wearing their seat belt. A few years ago there was another accident both drivers had their seat belt on and both were dead.

Those are just the ones I know of.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I'm not a LEO or EMT but I know of several cases where people have died while wearing seat belts. In my town 3 people died in a collision all were wearing their seat belt. My brothers buddy was in an accident where the person that rear ended them died, yes the person that was DRT was wearing their seat belt. A few years ago there was another accident both drivers had their seat belt on and both were dead.

I never said it couldn't happen.
    I said I've never seen it myself. :dunno:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

Back in '03, 5 of my good friends were in an accident and only one of them was wearing a seat belt...Guess which one died?

I know it was a fluke, but I actually believe he would have made it if he would have been ejected like the other 4 were...Regardless, my seat belt is on before my car goes into drive.

Anyway, R.I.P. Kirkman. I miss you, brother.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I think the chances of you surviving an accident are much higher if you are wearing a seatbelt. Im thinking its pretty rare that the seatbelt is actually the cause of death. Anyone got stats on it?
    I don't like the seatbelt law but its a measly 25 bucks so big deal lol

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I've seen it. I've also seen a wreck where the teenager slammed into a tree and his steering column went into the seat where his chest would have been if he'd been properly belted in. Point is that it can go either way. People know the consequences. They know the risks. I can agree with mandatory safety seats for kids who don't know any better. I'm more a fan of people being actively educated as to the risks and benefits of seat belt usage. We don't need to be protected from ourselves. We need to be able to protect ourselves from an overzealous government.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I never said it couldn't happen.
    I said I've never seen it myself. :dunno:

Don't get me wrong I am not picking on you.
    I probably didn't convey my thought clearly enough.
    You can't give people the ability to slowly kill themselves ( I.e. being overweight, eating bad foods, not exercising, not taking medications) and not give them the right to increase their risk of dying in a MVA (not wearing seatbelt or helmet.)
    Where would you draw the line? I respect your opinion but do not agree with it.
    No one likes dealing with the death of people following an accident. You're right, its not fair.
    I never liked dealing with little kids who got their hands stuck in a meat grinder because mom and dad didn't have common sense and weren't watching them. I made sure I got a job NOT working in an ER when I switched jobs. Something you might consider if you have such a distaste for that aspect if the job / profession that you chose.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Don't get me wrong I am not picking on you.
    I probably didn't convey my thought clearly enough.
    You can't give people the ability to slowly kill themselves ( I.e. being overweight, eating bad foods, not exercising, not taking medications) and not give them the right to increase their risk of dying in a MVA (not wearing seatbelt or helmet.)
    Where would you draw the line? I respect your opinion but do not agree with it.
    No one likes dealing with the death of people following an accident. You're right, its not fair.
    I never liked dealing with little kids who got their hands stuck in a meat grinder because mom and dad didn't have common sense and weren't watching them. I made sure I got a job NOT working in an ER when I switched jobs. Something you might consider if you have such a distaste for that aspect if the job / profession that you chose.
    That's OK. :)
    I didn't take offense to you disagreeing with me.
    Respectful arguments are the basis of all meaningful resolutions.
    And.
    It's far too late to change my choice of profession.
    I retired from the PD in 1995. :D

Top Bottom