• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    What's the problem with carrying a back up gun? I don't always carry a BUG but sometimes I do. What I do carry 99% of the time is one gun with a backup mag and a knife. What you are doing is picking situations only where the BUG wouldn't do you any good. What if you were taken hostage by a singe assailant and all he got from you was the primary gun, bet you would be pretty stoked to secretly have your BUG in that situation wouldn't you?

I also fail to see how having a back up mag isn't a benefit when you are dealing with a gun that can malfunction at any given time. This has nothing to do with watching movies.

We can come up with hypotheticals all day but I think if you can carry more firepower you should always do it. Just my :twocents:

I second this. We can talk scenarios all day long and anyone can fabricate a possible scenario to support a viewpoint.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    In my opinion, .380 is the smallest I will go for a defensive caliber. I believe the current generation of .380 defense ammo, Critical Defense and Duty, and HST to name a couple, are very good. I have faith that if I do my part in shot placement, the bullet will do its job. From the tests I've been a part of, seen and/or read the results of, .380 defense ammo will do whats required within reason. No it may not punch windshields or car doors. But I have every confidence in it to stop a threat.

Stay safe

I think I am going to go ahead and get a Ruger LCP

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    So admittedly, after reading a few pages of flaming and male posturing, I skipped to the last page. I do carry either a P238 (.380) or a KelTec P-11 (9mm) as my BUGs. There are sometimes where I cannot carry a BUG, though. +1 to whomever said carry a blade, too. I always carry at least a knife on my person.
    Scenarios aside, I can see a number of reasons you might not be able to use your primary and why it makes sense to have a BUG.
    I'm personally not a fan of the LC9 or LCP....I think the trigger pulls on them are god awful and you'll take a trip to the moon and back before it breaks (so is the KelTec--but since the P-11 is a double stack, I can grip it better and the long pull is more manageable for me....).
    Sig also just released the P938 (same frame style as the P238, but chambered in 9mm--its quite nice)

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Oh, and my $0.02 on ankle carry is that it is effective in a car (it seems like it would be easier to reach). But drawing is slow....if that's how you want to carry, that's your choice. But I personally have to stay away from it. If you are on the fence how you want to carry your BUG, buy a holster of the style that you want and wear it around your house for a while. Practice getting to your holster and see how it feels to you..... (this is the equivalent of testing out new shoes before wearing them outside!!) If you don't like the holster, return it!

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Well Justin, I started to read this thread, but couldn't get past the first few pages of tactical internet cowboys taking you out of context and jacking your thread..........so I apologize if my thoughts have been previously recorded in your thread.

BUG's are excellent habits to get into. I personally classify BUG's into 2 categories. Pocket guns and non pocket guns. For example, an LCP is a pocket gun. Don't let anyone try to convince you that you should go with an LC9 or similar because it's "almost" the same size. This is simply not true and negates the very purpose of a pocket gun......DEEP CONCEALMENT. If you find a void in your EDC that needs to be filled with a pocket gun, then buy a pocket gun (LCP, 238, Bodyguard, etc.)

Now, if you're looking for something that does not necessarily need to be deeply concealed, then I would go with as much firepower as is comfortable within your attire and set up. This could be an LC9 IWB, an sp101 on your ankle, or an identical firearm to your EDC carried reaction side. These are all obviously personal decisions. For me, I am going to carry as much firepower as the situation will allow. Sometimes that may be an LCP in my back pocket. But ideally, The LCP is a BUG at best.

For some reason, folks will always try to convince others to go bigger. Well that's fine and dandy, but when I'm trying to go smaller, than going bigger doesn't really add to the cause. .380's in you pocket are not ideal, but they are better than nothing. Effectively training with your BUG's is obviously important and often overlooked by the average person. Deploying that pocket gun from a wallet holster can be a bit tricky.

Bottom line.......choose somthing that fits your life style. If deep concealment isn't a huge consideration for you on a regular basis, then start with something in the sub-compact department and see if you can fit it in to you EDC. If deep concealment is a priority and a pocket gun would fill a void, then start there. Personally, I find myself in both situations, so I will switch it up as my life dictates. Good luck with your decision!

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Oh, and my $0.02 on ankle carry is that it is effective in a car (it seems like it would be easier to reach). But drawing is slow....if that's how you want to carry, that's your choice. But I personally have to stay away from it. If you are on the fence how you want to carry your BUG, buy a holster of the style that you want and wear it around your house for a while. Practice getting to your holster and see how it feels to you..... (this is the equivalent of testing out new shoes before wearing them outside!!) If you don't like the holster, return it!

Thank you for the advice! I'll have to check out my other options before picking up that LCP. I was planning on carrying the LCP in a wallet holster. My strong side is my left side and I carry my wallet on my left side. My thinking is that my right rear pocket would make for a great place for my BUG (or right front depending on the jeans im wearing) I can still fire accurately with my right hand and also if something happened to my left hand (strong hand) or my sidearm, I still the my right hand and the BUG on my right side.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Well Justin, I started to read this thread, but couldn't get past the first few pages of tactical internet cowboys taking you out of context and jacking your thread..........so I apologize if my thoughts have been previously recorded in your thread.

BUG's are excellent habits to get into. I personally classify BUG's into 2 categories. Pocket guns and non pocket guns. For example, an LCP is a pocket gun. Don't let anyone try to convince you that you should go with an LC9 or similar because it's "almost" the same size. This is simply not true and negates the very purpose of a pocket gun......DEEP CONCEALMENT. If you find a void in your EDC that needs to be filled with a pocket gun, then buy a pocket gun (LCP, 238, Bodyguard, etc.)

Now, if you're looking for something that does not necessarily need to be deeply concealed, then I would go with as much firepower as is comfortable within your attire and set up. This could be an LC9 IWB, an sp101 on your ankle, or an identical firearm to your EDC carried reaction side. These are all obviously personal decisions. For me, I am going to carry as much firepower as the situation will allow. Sometimes that may be an LCP in my back pocket. But ideally, The LCP is a BUG at best.

For some reason, folks will always try to convince others to go bigger. Well that's fine and dandy, but when I'm trying to go smaller, than going bigger doesn't really add to the cause. .380's in you pocket are not ideal, but they are better than nothing. Effectively training with your BUG's is obviously important and often overlooked by the average person. Deploying that pocket gun from a wallet holster can be a bit tricky.

Bottom line.......choose somthing that fits your life style. If deep concealment isn't a huge consideration for you on a regular basis, then start with something in the sub-compact department and see if you can fit it in to you EDC. If deep concealment is a priority and a pocket gun would fill a void, then start there. Personally, I find myself in both situations, so I will switch it up as my life dictates. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for your thoughts and advice! Unlike some other people on this forum baggy cargo pants and hawaiian shirts just aren't always an option for me ;). I wouldnt say deep concealment is always a requirement but sometimes it is. And for me, as with many other people around here I am sure "you can never have too many guns". So what the hell, I will probably pick up a true pocket gun here soon, along with an LC9, Shield or something along those lines for when my attire dictates that the Glock just isnt an option. :yesway:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have been shopping for a new daily carry weapon and am almost burnt out at this point! To change gears in my mind a bit I am looking for advice for what I call a "back up" gun or secondary weapon. To me this weapon would be ankle or pocket carried, used as a second option if your primary weapon failed, malfunctioned, or was somehow taken from you. This weapon could also be of use when you dont want to or cannot carry your usual daily carry weapon.

What do you guys think is an appropriate gun for this application?
    Can't beat a S&W WHEEL GUN. The 637 or 60 are two great little J frame revolvers. Reason i chose them is I really like a hammer. Single action should ALWAYS be an option for a revolver, IMO.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I personally classify BUG's into 2 categories. Pocket guns and non pocket guns. For example, an LCP is a pocket gun. Don't let anyone try to convince you that you should go with an LC9 or similar because it's "almost" the same size. This is simply not true and negates the very purpose of a pocket gun......DEEP CONCEALMENT. If you find a void in your EDC that needs to be filled with a pocket gun, then buy a pocket gun (LCP, 238, Bodyguard, etc.)

I think it depends on the size of your pockets!

I can, honest to goodness, carry a LC9/Shield in my pocket (jeans, khakis, etc) with no problem whatsoever. Same with a j-frame revolver. These days with cell phones and everything else, people don't even think about a bulgy pocket. And no, I'm not talking about cargo pants or anything drastic - regular cut bluejeans or chino-style dress pants. I'm a country boy so I only own one suit, and the pocket material is thin enough I wouldn't trust a wallet in there - when I wear that, I use a Smartcarry holster.

My wife, on the other hand, has pockets about the size of a sugar packet on all her pants. You could fit a car key in them, much less a knife or gun.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thank you for your resonse and insight!! Also thank you for writing out that scenario. That was exactly what I was getting at and wish I would have maintained my composure last night and typed up something similar!

Just invisioning a possible set up.. I was thinking Glock 19, 23, or 27 on my strong side (left side). I also carry my wallet on my left side. Buy a Ruger LCP and either ankle carry on my right ankle OR carry it in my right rear pocket and employ one of those "wallet" holster they make for the LCP

Thoughts?

Either would work. The .380 is the smallest round I would go with. Its a respectable round up close. Enough to fracture a femur or to go through an adult's abdomen. The LCP doesn't work for me, it just doesn't fit my hand well enough to be comfortable with, but if it works for you its a good choice.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I think it depends on the size of your pockets!

I can, honest to goodness, carry a LC9/Shield in my pocket (jeans, khakis, etc) with no problem whatsoever. Same with a j-frame revolver. These days with cell phones and everything else, people don't even think about a bulgy pocket. And no, I'm not talking about cargo pants or anything drastic - regular cut bluejeans or chino-style dress pants. I'm a country boy so I only own one suit, and the pocket material is thin enough I wouldn't trust a wallet in there - when I wear that, I use a Smartcarry holster.

My wife, on the other hand, has pockets about the size of a sugar packet on all her pants. You could fit a car key in them, much less a knife or gun.

Yeah....I can carry a government 1911 in many of my front pockets too........doesn't make it a pocket gun:D

I hear ya though.......a person's size makes a difference. Larger clothes usually translate to larger pockets. Personally being on the thinner side (5' 11" 175#) a pocket .380 is perfect. LC9/Sheild/PPS, these are better suited for SOB or Reaction IWB for me. But you are right, if it works for you, might as well do it!:yesway:

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Yeah....I can carry a government 1911 in many of my front pockets too........doesn't make it a pocket gun:D

I hear ya though.......a person's size makes a difference. Larger clothes usually translate to larger pockets. Personally being on the thinner side (5' 11" 175#) a pocket .380 is perfect. LC9/Sheild/PPS, these are better suited for SOB or Reaction IWB for me. But you are right, if it works for you, might as well do it!:yesway:

I am with you. 5'11" 155 lbs. LC9, Shield, maybe Glock 26,27 IWB and LCP etc BUG

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I recently picked up a Smith & Wesson Airweight .38 spl! I love it. Reliable and fits in my pocket. Mission accomplished. Now to pick out a new semi auto CCW :D

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I recently picked up a Smith & Wesson Airweight .38 spl! I love it. Reliable and fits in my pocket. Mission accomplished. Now to pick out a new semi auto CCW :D

Good choice. Tough to go wrong with a lightweight .38. Put some quality +P rounds it in for carry, and enjoy.

Side note, get you a decent pocket holster. They are cheap and they'll save your pants from getting a hole warn in them as the front sight will eventually eat through your pants if you pocket carry without one. I use a Blackhawk Size 1. It covers the barrel and stays in the pocket when you draw, plus keeps it upright and easy to grasp without adding a bunch of bulk. In fact, it breaks up the outline a bit when you're sitting down and it looks more like a wallet and less like, well, a revolver.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

I love my Smith 642 AirWeight. I have played with several holster options and here are a few that work for me. 1) pocket holster- I went with the Mika. 2) belly band as silly as it sounds. 3) strong side belt- I went with an IWB but even OWB with an untucked shirt will work.

If it is a new Smith I would also recommend a competent gun smith do a trigger job on the gun. Some of the new guns have decent triggers when others are not good at all.

Top Bottom