• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Every encounter that I've ever dealt with the person told me they ran and called for us. Never did anyone ever tell me they, "tried to put up a fight"

I could have guess you are a LEO. Most LEO's assume everyone else is not proficient with their weapons. And to be honest with ya, If an LEO is there or nearby I would much rather have any confrontation handled by you guys. Thats what your there for. But that is not always an option. I was always told.. whether in the halls at school, out with my buddies as a teenager, or now as an adult who chooses to carry, always remove yourself from the situation/threat if at all possible. But like I said before that may not be an option in certain situations.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    IMO your "backup" should be as close to your main. i.e

carry a full size of medium GLOCK, backup with the "baby" GLOCK.

17 or 19.....backup is a 26
    22 or 23.....backup is a 27

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Not the case son. I'll be the 1st to go on record and say that some of the men and women who wear a badge have less proficiency than some civilians.
    I don't look at it from am LEO or Civilian standpoint. As far as I'm concerned your either a gun owner, a gun owner who exercises his right to carry or a non gun owner.

I have even seen non gun owners have better proficiency with firearms than gun owners. Just because they choose not to own a firearm doesn't mean they don't have the skill to use it.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I'm basing everything on your own words. no BS in that unless your talking about what you said.

And your question wasn't about a simple back up gun, it was about a 2nd weapon in case you didn't feel like carrying your primary or your clothing didn't allow it. Like I said, check your original post.

Just in case your original post decides to edit itself:

First of all again like a typical LEO your going to hijack my thread and be a smartass about everything I say. My mistake for not thinking through the wording of my original post but I think Ive made myself pretty clear now that I just want advice on a pocket or ankle gun. Which to me is an alternative to a bigger bulkier weapon in some situations!! I am not even going to explain a situation in which I would not want to carry my glock but instead carry a smaller weapon concealed in a pocket or ankle holster. Just want advice on the weapons themselves

And if this doesnt make things clear enough for you Mr. Officer, please spare me your smartass attitude about honey buns and rediculous BS of the sort. It's not needed here.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Not the case son. I'll be the 1st to go on record and say that some of the men and women who wear a badge have less proficiency than some civilians.
    I don't look at it from am LEO or Civilian standpoint. As far as I'm concerned your either a gun owner, a gun owner who exercises his right to carry or a non gun owner.

I have even seen non gun owners have better proficiency with firearms than gun owners. Just because they choose not to own a firearm doesn't mean they don't have the skill to use it.

In that case why are you making assumptions of my proficiency with my weapon(s) and just for the record I am not your son.. and I am not civilian myself, turns out I wear more than a badge to earn my title.

Again I'll ask to return to my true intent of this thread.:yesway:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    In that case why are you making assumptions of my proficiency with my weapon(s) and just for the record I am not your son.. and I am not civilian myself, turns out I wear more than a badge to earn my title.

And your on INGO at 12:36hrs asking for advice about back up guns?

Heaven help us and the people you serve.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    And your question wasn't about a simple back up gun, it was about a 2nd weapon in case you didn't feel like carrying your primary or your clothing didn't allow it. Like I said, check your original post.QUOTE]

Your really picking apart my words. It is a BACK UP gun! If I dont feel like or cant for whatever reason carry my usual CCW weapon, this second weapon is in the safe as a smaller alternative or "BACK UP"!!!!!:yesway:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I'm done, seriously, done.
    As someone already stated. back up should be as close to primary for ease of transition, familiarity and if possible magazine compatibility.

Stay safe

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    And your on INGO at 12:36hrs asking for advice about back up guns?

Heaven help us and the people you serve.

Yes I am asking for advice. I am asking for other peoples opinion on good quality, reliable pocket/ankle guns bc I have not had any expirience shooting a pocket pistol. Your really a piece of work ya know it? I was referred to this site by a good friend who ranted about how nice and welcoming everyone is on here and if you ever need a question answered or advice regarding a weapon before making a purchase that this was the place to go but so far I've recieved a few contructive comments or bits of advice on the subject and a WHOLE lot of BS from you. Cant quite comprehend why an LEO is going to make rediculous remarks about why I'm on here at this hour. Why are you on here right now Mr. Ofiicer? or why an LEO is ignorant enough to make a smartass comment about a military member asking for advice on pocket guns.. Yes I am in the military. Yes I have fired many weapon systems. No, I have not had first hand expirience with many smaller hand guns and maybe I would like the opinion of those with first hand expirience with these weapons. Maybe theres someone out there who bought an LCP and absolutely hated it but he also had a bodyguard and loved it or the other way around and now based on their expirience can give me guidance and help me avoid potentially purchasing the wrong weapon. Excuse me for asking for advice.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yes I am asking for advice. I am asking for other peoples opinion on good quality, reliable pocket/ankle guns bc I have not had any expirience shooting a pocket pistol. Your really a piece of work ya know it? I was referred to this site by a good friend who ranted about how nice and welcoming everyone is on here and if you ever need a question answered or advice regarding a weapon before making a purchase that this was the place to go but so far I've recieved a few contructive comments or bits of advice on the subject and a WHOLE lot of BS from you. Cant quite comprehend why an LEO is going to make rediculous remarks about why I'm on here at this hour. Why are you on here right now Mr. Ofiicer? or why an LEO is ignorant enough to make a smartass comment about a military member asking for advice on pocket guns.. Yes I am in the military. Yes I have fired many weapon systems. No, I have not had first hand expirience with many smaller hand guns and maybe I would like the opinion of those with first hand expirience with these weapons. Maybe theres someone out there who bought an LCP and absolutely hated it but he also had a bodyguard and loved it or the other way around and now based on their expirience can give me guidance and help me avoid potentially purchasing the wrong weapon. Excuse me for asking for advice.

Let's all calm down. :)

Pocket pistols are not gun to shoot, they are easy to carry and conceal but they are not really meant to be comfortable to shoot like a full size carry gun.
    It's why if I were you I would go with the biggest smallest gun you can get.
    Like the Glock 26 or Ruger LC9.
    Also being a 9mm I would carry the LC9 over the LCP.

Sure a small pocket gun like that is not a gun that you will shoot a lot but if it's the only gun you have on you the day you need it you will be glad it's not a tiny .380 gun but instead something that fires a "full size caliber" like a 9mm or bigger.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville

Pocket pistols are not gun to shoot, they are easy to carry and conceal but they are not really meant to be comfortable to shoot like a full size carry gun.

Sure a small pocket gun like that is not a gun that you will shoot a lot but if it's the only gun you have on you the day you need it you will be glad it's not a tiny .380 gun but instead something that fires a "full size caliber" like a 9mm or bigger.

Thanks for the response. I have been looking into the LC9 and LCP for a while and cannot justify buying both, otherwise I would. When I made my mind up that it was one or the other I originally had in mind that I would go LC9 because of the 9mm over the .380. After looking at them in person I had second thoughts and they are this:

I am looking for a small weapon to fit comfortably in a pocket or ankle. Which one would be better for that? Yes, I could fit the LC9 in my pocket but with a relatively obvious bulge. I guess my battle is between sacrificing caliber for comfortability or comfortability for caliber

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thanks for the response. I have been looking into the LC9 and LCP for a while and cannot justify buying both, otherwise I would. When I made my mind up that it was one or the other I originally had in mind that I would go LC9 because of the 9mm over the .380. After looking at them in person I had second thoughts and they are this:

I am looking for a small weapon to fit comfortably in a pocket or ankle. Which one would be better for that? Yes, I could fit the LC9 in my pocket but with a relatively obvious bulge. I guess my battle is between sacrificing caliber for comfortability or comfortability for caliber

Is really that important if people can notice a bulge in your pocket?
    Many people carry many stuff in their pockets that makes a bulge (wallet, pack of tissues, cellphone etc).
    I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Yes the LCP is smaller and lighter but it has a smaller grip and smaller caliber.When it will come to use it you will wish you had the LC9, or a even bigger gun.

The great Clint Smith said "Your carry gun should be comforting, not comfortable".

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Is really that important if people can notice a bulge in your pocket?
    Many people carry many stuff in their pockets that makes a bulge (wallet, pack of tissues, cellphone etc).
    I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Yes the LCP is smaller and lighter but it has a smaller grip and smaller caliber.When it will come to use it you will wish you had the LC9, or a even bigger gun.

The great Clint Smith said "Your carry gun should be comforting, not comfortable".

Good point. Thanks alot for the advice. :yesway:

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Oh my....
    Allow me add a thought or two for consideration.
    If it is a feasabilty, carry a smaller version of your primary. As an example previously stated, if you carry a glock fullsize, carry the subcompact.
    If not, just as has already stated, try to carry in the same caliber.

With that said, I understand your posts intent. It was intially worded oddly to give the incorrect impression which you've since corrected.

When it comes to clothing and firearms, you have to find something that works. For instance what works as my on duty backup doesn't work well in all situations off duty as a primary or secondary weapon. In order to to CC off duty in any social setting, you have to have options. Just as you have several different shoes. Some boots, some dress shoes, some running/basketball shoes.

For specifics and not knowing your primary weapon, your day to day habits and your social occassions you have to 'dress' for, here are some weapon additional suggestions to muddy the water.
    I like the newer S&W Body guard 380. The sights are much better than the LCP. The laser is irrelevant for me but the accuracy is more than adequate to hit 6" steel plates at 25 yrds. And it is very light weight.
    Also for consideration would be the Walther PPK. Similiar in accuracy to the body guard but heavier.
    J frame 38 is always a good reliable choice.

The last thing if I may ask a favor....
    Please be a bit more sparing with the broad brush stroke on bashing law enforcement. Everyone can be 'classified' into some undesirable aspect of a group. Wouldn't you agree?
    Good luck on your decision and purchase

Stay safe

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I find that an LC9 (or other 9mm of the single-stack variety) simple enough to pocket or ankle carry. I can tell that it's there, but nobody else really can..

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    With that said, I understand your posts intent. It was intially worded oddly to give the incorrect impression which you've since corrected.

Thank you for realizing this!

I like the newer S&W Body guard 380. The sights are much better than the LCP. The laser is irrelevant for me but the accuracy is more than adequate to hit 6" steel plates at 25 yrds. And it is very light weight.
    Also for consideration would be the Walther PPK. Similiar in accuracy to the body guard but heavier.

Thanks for the new idea's. Ill look into those. Although I did compare the LCP and the Body Guard 380. For my budget and the difference I think if I were choosing between the two I'd have to go with the LCP. Thoughts?

The last thing if I may ask a favor....
    Please be a bit more sparing with the broad brush stroke on bashing law enforcement. Everyone can be 'classified' into some undesirable aspect of a group. Wouldn't you agree?
    Good luck on your decision and purchase

Stay safe

Your are right and I do appologize to other LEO's I may have pissed off. After a long day at work I wasnt in the mood to edit and revise my post for an hour, I just wanted some help. Looking back I wish I had taken the extra time!! Fact is I came here for advice on choosing a weapon. The LEO mentioned didnt provide much of that, instead hijacked my thread and turned it into something it wasnt. It pissed me off because I wasnt getting the answers and instead just got hasseled! It was heated and I agree you cant put everyone into that category.

My appologies and Thanks again for the constructive advice

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville

Most people on here have expressed that they dont believe a .380 is enough. How do you feel regarding that?

Also I would love to pick up a PPK. In fact I just found a pretty good deal on an unused PPKS for 450 bucks!

Top Bottom