Certain dog breeds...I just don't get it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    A pit bull that's not dog aggressive is a cur, not a pit. Most of the old bloodline fighting pits were pure prey driven,newer bloodlines have defense drives, this is what makes the new lines more dangerous than the old lines, but they fight much better and bite harder than the old prey driven dogs.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Try walking by ANY water with a lab.....be ready for a shower when he gets back!

Lol.. Chesies are even worse. They will have a out of body meltdown if not allowed to swim when they start smelling water.
    I had one choc lab and she would get so excited about swimming she would poop almost as soon as she though she was going for a car ride.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've owned several Pitbulls and all of them were wonderful companions with great personalities. Like many other breeds, though, they generally do require an owner who's willing and equipped to house and train them. One of my Pitbulls, the smallest, was a little 30 pound beautiful red brindle dog with a copper-red nose and amber eyes. She was shy of most people, but totally and completely devoted to my wife (and to a lesser extent me), but would not tolerate any other dog and would kill any cat she could catch. I all the years we had our Pitbulls, they never bothered anyone (except for a couple of cats who made the mistake of getting inside the fence), because we made sure that they didn't.

I'd rather my neibors had mean dogs that they keep home than goofy harmless ones that they allow to run loose.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Pits should be put down on sight.

it has always amazed me that people are gullible, naive or just plain dumb enough to think that they are going to "raise it the right way" and that a "loving home" are going to overcome the breed tendencies of certain animals.

there is a reason why chihuahuas aren't used as deer hunting dogs. There is a reason Yorkie Terriers aren't used as drug sniffers. There is a reason why Cocker Spaniels aren't used as cattle dogs. Or, labs as guard dogs. Hell, it's a widely known fact that Poodles are vicious bastards, what isn't as widely known is that breed was originally created as a war dog by the French. Those cute little puffs of fur around their knees aren't for looks, they are meant as protection for the joints.

We are quick to point out how good Labs are for their intellect and trainability, love of water and loyalty etc but, people refuse to see Pits as a breed entirely meant for aggressiveness, attacking and just plain unsuitable for domestic application.

i have a friend and a cousin who were both mauled by Pits and have seen or responded to several other Pit attacks over the years. I absolutely HATE the breed and I automatically assume the worst about people who either willfully or naively keep these ticking time bombs as "pets". To me, having a Pit in the house is akin to leaving your gun loaded, safety off in a day care.

Boys and girls, here is an example of talking out of your ass.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Pits should be put down on sight.

it has always amazed me that people are gullible, naive or just plain dumb enough to think that they are going to "raise it the right way" and that a "loving home" are going to overcome the breed tendencies of certain animals.

there is a reason why chihuahuas aren't used as deer hunting dogs. There is a reason Yorkie Terriers aren't used as drug sniffers. There is a reason why Cocker Spaniels aren't used as cattle dogs. Or, labs as guard dogs. Hell, it's a widely known fact that Poodles are vicious bastards, what isn't as widely known is that breed was originally created as a war dog by the French. Those cute little puffs of fur around their knees aren't for looks, they are meant as protection for the joints.

We are quick to point out how good Labs are for their intellect and trainability, love of water and loyalty etc but, people refuse to see Pits as a breed entirely meant for aggressiveness, attacking and just plain unsuitable for domestic application.

i have a friend and a cousin who were both mauled by Pits and have seen or responded to several other Pit attacks over the years. I absolutely HATE the breed and I automatically assume the worst about people who either willfully or naively keep these ticking time bombs as "pets". To me, having a Pit in the house is akin to leaving your gun loaded, safety off in a day care.
    Poodles are originally German duck dogs (pudelhund = "puddle dog"). The cut was to protect the heart, lungs, and joints from the cold water.

Sorry for for your bad experiences. I understand why you would have issues with the breed, but your sample size does not extrapolate to the whole breed.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    It's all in the training ?? Bull.... Every Weimeraner, Lab and Chesapeake I have owned in almost 50 years has retrieved without any training input from me from about 10-12 weeks old. Certain things are in a dogs DNA.

I have no doubt there are pit bulls out there who have zero aggression down to their core. I know this because I have had labs that have no desire swim or retrieve.;)

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    Poodles are originally German duck dogs (pudelhund = "puddle dog"). The cut was to protect the heart, lungs, and joints from the cold water.

Sorry for for your bad experiences. I understand why you would have issues with the breed, but your sample size does not extrapolate to the whole breed.

thank you for the info!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Touched a nerve did I?

but hey, you're right and I hope you never have to pick someone's lip off the ground, wash it, bag it and bring it to the hospital for reattachment......

No, I just wanted to make sure everyone saw your fine example of cluelessness.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Looks like it is getting a bit testy in here as well.

Emotions and opinions aside.........Keep it civil.
    No more warnings. Use your heads please.

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    And churchmouse, no hard feelings here either. I am not going to lose sleep over a difference of opinion and I am not going to take any of this personally.

i may even screw up and learn something.....imagine my wife's surprise!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    :popcorn:

Because I need to read yet another one of these threads.

BTW, if you own a dog, any kind of dog, please be responsible. If it's mean, be honest with yourself and take the precautions one needs to take with mean dogs. Please don't put your dog in a position where I'm going to have to shoot it. I love my dog, and he's getting kinda grumpy in his old age. I don't want my dog shot for going after someone and I'm going to do all I can to prevent that from happening. And I don't want to have to shoot yours.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    So please enlighten me on where I am "clueless".

does it start with your disagreement on my stance towards pit bulls and end with your hurt feelings?

No, it starts with the fact that you are prejudiced towards a certain breed of dog because of the actions of one or two. It ends with the fact that, because of the actions of one or two, you aren't willing to accept that fact that there are good pit bulls. I take a different stance, all dogs (no matter the size or breed) are potentially dangerous until I meet them. I don't trust anyone's dog at first sight. It has nothing to do with size or breed. It has everything with who is in charge. Any dog that thinks it's in charge will be aggressive if it thinks you're stepping in their territory. Any dog who is properly trained will know their human is in charge and will defer to them.

I have two pits. Neither one will act the slightest bit aggressive because they know I won't allow it. I have a one year old grandson who can do whatever he wants and they'll look to me for help (which I will do). They are 70 pound lap dogs that will cower when they hear a raised voice. On the other hand, my son in law has a pit that should be shot. They will not allow that dog to be in the same room as my grandson because it has snapped at multiple people. That dog should be dead, no other way to say it, but why vilify my dogs because another isn't trained properly?

You don't like pits, that's fine and that's your choice, but to damn a whole breed because if the actions of a few is short sighted and unfair.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I have no doubt there are pit bulls out there who have zero aggression down to their core. I know this because I have had labs that have no desire swim or retrieve.;)

I would respond with, welcome to poor breeding practices.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Try walking by ANY water with a lab.....be ready for a shower when he gets back!

Bull...I had a black Lab from the age of 6 weeks until I had to put her down at 14. She absolutely would not go in water. For first 7 years of her life lived on a farm with a large drainage ditch on one side that dumped into a river on another side. She never entered the water. She roamed along side of each for hours on end but would never get near the water. Last 7 years of her life where we live is lake frontage on one side & channel on another side...again she never entered the water. We tried to coax her in many, many times but to no avail. Even carried her ( all 110 lbs ) into knee deep water, put her down, and she was back on shore faster that you could bat an eye. Must be an exception, huh ? And oh yeah, for 10 years of her life her "sister"/BFF was one of those evil Pitties that you speak of. I have owned one or more dogs at a time for 60+ years and that particular Pitt was THE VERY BEST dog I have EVER owned. I have a brother-in-law that is NOT a dog lover...he learned to absolutely adore her. Him and his wife came over on Friday nights to visit for many years. They always brought treats for our "girls." If the Pitt was not out to greet him upon arrival, first words out of his mouth were asking where she was. Guess this dog was just another rare exception to your facts, huh ? I probably should go buy a lottery ticket as I currently own my 4th great, Pitt...what are the odds ?

I will not even attempt to comment on your statement of putting down any Pitt on sight...INGO language filter or not.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom