Certain dog breeds...I just don't get it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    We adpoted Daphne last year after she was rescued from a kill shelter. She was born deaf and we have no idea about her background. I have never seen a more loving animal and we've had our fair share of dogs. She wants to be on me or (mostly) my wife, near us is not good enough, she wants to be on one of us all the time. She likes strangers a lot more than I do and has yet to show the slightest hint of aggression in spite of being attacked herself by smaller dogs.
    imagejpg1_zps54dde164.jpg

It's not the breed, never has been. Just like it's not the guns and never has been. Dogs and people are both capable of violence, some are predictable and many are not. Vilifying an entire breed, race, religion or color does the majority a disservice.

She could be my Charlie's sister!

Doesn't he look fierce, not... He has to spend at least a few hours a day in my lap. When he isn't in my lap he's laying beside me on the floor. Or hanging out with my boy. He is a lover. Wants someone petting scratching all the time. I can't get him to leave people alone. When they come over he wants in there lap. I can not get him to bark when someone is at the door. He will whine though, he wants them to show him attention. He usually ends up out side when I get company.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Pdog Im sure you already know this but your lovely lady is a Colby breed ... That is where the red nose comes from... White dogs are known for being deaf and skin problems as well.. Had a buddy who had a litter and the male was sold white and a female solid white and she was deaf too... They both had some sort of skin problems off and on as they grew up but never effected them in any way and they were the same as yours, very loving dogs too... You had to wiggle you fingers at her and she would come running, it was the way to communicate with her.. If she was in the other room and you wanted her you just stomped on the wood floor in there house and she would come look around the door at ya like what do you want... ??? lol, here is a little info on them.. colby--bloodline

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I didn't mean it to come off as upset. My point is that unlike a gun with a hair trigger which is an inanimate object that will never go off without a human, a dog has a mind of its own and can never be 100% controlled.

In my family, we use the term "I'm calling Bull****" as a way to say I disagree. I guess I forget that not everyone knows me or the intent behind what I say.

Calling Bull**** didn't bother me CZB. I understood what you meant. Unfortunately, the fact these dogs can be made into a weapon that pulls its own trigger is too often the reason people want them. They are more intimidating that way. And nothing is sadder than seeing one of these dogs, or any dog for that matter, locked outside ALL the time. They are pack animals and want to be with the rest of their pack. Being staked outside as a 'guard' dog will often make them mean because it makes them a little bit crazy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Any animal (like humans) can go crazy and attack. What makes it of concern to me is if that animal is capable of seriously harming or killing someone or that animal is ineffective in that regard. I'm a little less worried about a suddenly vicious toy dachshund than I am about a suddenly vicious rottweiler.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Any animal (like humans) can go crazy and attack. What makes it of concern to me is if that animal is capable of seriously harming or killing someone or that animal is ineffective in that regard. I'm a little less worried about a suddenly vicious toy dachshund than I am about a suddenly vicious rottweiler.

Meet my vicious 130lb Rottweiler, Barney Fife.

735AEB55-00F2-4ADD-8080-153EA40B67D0_zpsztgpnolz.jpg

E45BB220-1E14-4C8A-A137-037270F19A89_zpstpgd2icw.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Women...pets...reasoning. These words cannot be used at the same time in the same story.

We saw similar things in the late 70's when the "attack trained" Dobermans were fashonable among a segment of society. Next thing you know, puppy mills were turning out overbreed imbecile doberman dogs to make money. Lots of dog bites, killed pets and property damage. People I respect told me that before the ignorant people wanted them, dobermans were very good companion dogs. The people I know that are really impressed with their pit bulls are not people I trust behind my back and their dogs are just like them.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Pdog Im sure you already know this but your lovely lady is a Colby breed ... That is where the red nose comes from... White dogs are known for being deaf and skin problems as well.. Had a buddy who had a litter and the male was sold white and a female solid white and she was deaf too... They both had some sort of skin problems off and on as they grew up but never effected them in any way and they were the same as yours, very loving dogs too... You had to wiggle you fingers at her and she would come running, it was the way to communicate with her.. If she was in the other room and you wanted her you just stomped on the wood floor in there house and she would come look around the door at ya like what do you want... ??? lol, here is a little info on them.. colby--bloodline

I did not know that but I appreciate the info. I knew there were a few different types of pits but had not heard of the Colby breed. All I know is that she's a sweetheart, powerful as all get out but sweet nonetheless.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    At least I am honest and admit that my 3 (100% of people I know personally) cases don't prove anything. Will you be honest and admit that the 460,000 videos that come up when you enter "pit bull attack" in You Tube is an indication that this is more than just a "media bias"?
    I wonder how many of those were actually "Pit Bulls". Pit Bull is to dog as Glock is to gun. Every gun is a glock in the media and every dog that attacks is a "Pit Bull".
    Pick the Pit - Can you find the Pitbull?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Being aggressive to other dogs and animals is completely different from being aggressive to humans. We have an 11 yr old pit, arguably the best dog I've known. We got him as a very young pup. An unsound dog can be the result of bad breeding, abuse, neglect and even just well-meaning but unknowledgeable owners. I hate to hear of irresponsible owners, the breed doesn't need any more strikes against it.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    For me breeding dogs it was all about the blood line and not about pumping out dogs.... Just as in horses, pigs or any other breeding its all about the blood line... Respect the breed. Generally speaking the American Bull Terriers "Colby" dogs are red nose and the American Staffordshire Terriers are black nose....

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    Pits should be put down on sight.

it has always amazed me that people are gullible, naive or just plain dumb enough to think that they are going to "raise it the right way" and that a "loving home" are going to overcome the breed tendencies of certain animals.

there is a reason why chihuahuas aren't used as deer hunting dogs. There is a reason Yorkie Terriers aren't used as drug sniffers. There is a reason why Cocker Spaniels aren't used as cattle dogs. Or, labs as guard dogs. Hell, it's a widely known fact that Poodles are vicious bastards, what isn't as widely known is that breed was originally created as a war dog by the French. Those cute little puffs of fur around their knees aren't for looks, they are meant as protection for the joints.

We are quick to point out how good Labs are for their intellect and trainability, love of water and loyalty etc but, people refuse to see Pits as a breed entirely meant for aggressiveness, attacking and just plain unsuitable for domestic application.

i have a friend and a cousin who were both mauled by Pits and have seen or responded to several other Pit attacks over the years. I absolutely HATE the breed and I automatically assume the worst about people who either willfully or naively keep these ticking time bombs as "pets". To me, having a Pit in the house is akin to leaving your gun loaded, safety off in a day care.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    For me breeding dogs it was all about the blood line and not about pumping out dogs.... Just as in horses, pigs or any other breeding its all about the blood line... Respect the breed. Generally speaking the American Bull Terriers "Colby" dogs are red nose and the American Staffordshire Terriers are black nose....

Not all red-nosed pit bulls are Colby dogs, and not all Colby dogs have red noses.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

it has always amazed me that people are gullible, naive or just plain dumb enough to think that they are going to "raise it the right way" and that a "loving home" are going to overcome the breed tendencies of certain animals.

there is a reason why chihuahuas aren't used as deer hunting dogs. There is a reason Yorkie Terriers aren't used as drug sniffers. There is a reason why Cocker Spaniels aren't used as cattle dogs. Or, labs as guard dogs. Hell, it's a widely known fact that Poodles are vicious bastards, what isn't as widely known is that breed was originally created as a war dog by the French. Those cute little puffs of fur around their knees aren't for looks, they are meant as protection for the joints.

We are quick to point out how good Labs are for their intellect and trainability, love of water and loyalty etc but, people refuse to see Pits as a breed entirely meant for aggressiveness, attacking and just plain unsuitable for domestic application.

i have a friend and a cousin who were both mauled by Pits and have seen or responded to several other Pit attacks over the years. I absolutely HATE the breed and I automatically assume the worst about people who either willfully or naively keep these ticking time bombs as "pets". To me, having a Pit in the house is akin to leaving your gun loaded, safety off in a day care.

LOL ok.

When I took my vicious 130lb Rotty for obedience training, there were 2 other couples in class with us. Each one had a pair of those horrible terrible Pit Bulls. They were training to be therapy dogs. Which would be used to visit sick kids and the lovely elderly people.

It's all in the training boss. It's how they are raised. People make dogs dangerous. People make guns dangerous.

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    We have a pit. She's the sweetest dog ever. She bit me once while playing, that was the last time. As long as they're treated right, they're fine.

Let me rephrase this for you a little from a female point of view.

"I have a man. He is the greatest man ever. He hit me once while playing, that was the last time. As long as I have dinner on the table, he's fine."

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    lovemachiine.. It's all in the training boss. It's how they are raised. People make dogs dangerous. People make guns dangerous.[/QUOTE said:
    It's all in the training ?? Bull.... Every Weimeraner, Lab and Chesapeake I have owned in almost 50 years has retrieved without any training input from me from about 10-12 weeks old. Certain things are in a dogs DNA.
    Bully dogs are named Bully dogs for a reason.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    All dog breeds have a "history" of aggression, it's to what extent its reported to the media to spin it.

Straw men don't work to well on INGO.

Here's a dog with no breeding for aggression:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnspit_Dog

Pekingese are actually "hunting" dogs. Just saying. Hunting dogs are vicious, right?
    I'm not sure where you got that story. Everything I see says lap dog through and through.

You want to own a pit bull? Fine, INGO owners are responsible (no scarasm), but let's not try to revise the facts and history and claim they're a great breed for a house pet. I dare say it's not the media spinning, but happy, healthy pit bull owners who spin it.

In that same vein, I'm upset when I see my neighbors walking a husky or sheppard. They have neither a sled nor a herd of sheep. I feel sad for the dogs.

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    It's all in the training ?? Bull.... Every Weimeraner, Lab and Chesapeake I have owned in almost 50 years has retrieved without any training input from me from about 10-12 weeks old. Certain things are in a dogs DNA.
    Bully dogs are named Bully dogs for a reason.

Try walking by ANY water with a lab.....be ready for a shower when he gets back!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    LOL ok.

When I took my vicious 130lb Rotty for obedience training, there were 2 other couples in class with us. Each one had a pair of those horrible terrible Pit Bulls. They were training to be therapy dogs. Which would be used to visit sick kids and the lovely elderly people.

It's all in the training boss. It's how they are raised. People make dogs dangerous. People make guns dangerous.

This is the lamest possible argument.

(1) Connections to guns are the Nazi/Hitler arguments of INGO.
    "If you're against X, then you must be anti-gun!"

(2) A gun is dead steel (and sometimes plastic). A dog is alive. If you can't figure out the difference, then may I suggest a different breed for you:
    3e945a26401aac508beeb8ada78032f1.jpg

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN

What about all the pits who have been raised successfully to be pets, companions, service dogs, police dogs, compete in agility, dock diving, disc competitions and other sports? I'm sorry you haven't met better representatives of the breed. You're entitled to your opinion, but "put down on sight?", calling owners dumb, naïve, etc, and assuming the worst of pit bull owners seems a bit extreme.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I did not know that but I appreciate the info. I knew there were a few different types of pits but had not heard of the Colby breed. All I know is that she's a sweetheart, powerful as all get out but sweet nonetheless.

Having been lovingly nuzzled by your dog I have to agree, she is a sweetheart.

I guess we see all to many of the animals bought by butt heads to add to the "I am so freaking tough" persona. These animals for the most part are not well cared for emotionally. They get loose and run amok. Animal control is pretty useless so we have to deal with them when they get in my yard and take refuge. We have to many baby's here to allow this anymore.
    Sad but what to do.

Top Bottom