Certain dog breeds...I just don't get it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    idiots who like to train them to be aggressive.

I know some irresponsible dog owners train their dogs to be aggressive, but in my experience, I've had more problems resulting from people who can't control their dogs. There's nothing worse than a dominant dog with a submissive owner. And, I have no use at all for people who let their dogs run loose, and then are so surprised when something bad happens.

I had two female Pitbulls, litter-mates, and one was fine to take anywhere and the other couldn't be trusted at all with other dogs or cats. I didn't train the one to be aggressive, but I did put some effort into making sure she was never allowed to run loose. Eventually, we couldn't allow the two to be around even each other.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I agree wholeheartedly. We talked to the neighbor who lives across the street during last week's National Night Out. She's lived there for two years and was surprised when we mentioned having dogs, she didn't know that we did. We don't leave them outside and we don't tolerate them barking out there. They darned sure don't run loose.

You can draw many parallels between dog ownership and firearms. There are those who own them responsibly and those who don't.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    What about the 100,000 Chihuahua attack videos? Did you verify EVERY video to make sure that it was: a legitimate pit bull attack AND not a repeat or news story?

Yeah, because if the number of legit PB attack videos is only 200k, it totally changes the point.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My bosses daughter had a bordie collie that bit a mailman last week and they put it down. It had been growing increasingly aggressive and they decided it was for the best. I wonder why it didn't make the news? Maybe there's a Youtube video.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My bosses daughter had a bordie collie that bit a mailman last week and they put it down. It had been growing increasingly aggressive and they decided it was for the best. I wonder why it didn't make the news? Maybe there's a Youtube video.

It's every dog's sworn duty to bark at mail men. Biting is a different story, especially if it's new behavior. Since the dog grew increasingly more aggressive, it may have been anxiety aggression. You can usually train that out of a dog.

But any dog breed can bite. Some have higher tendencies than others. Border Collies aren't nearly as high on the list as Pit Bulls, for whatever reason.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Jamil, herding dogs (like border collies) instinctively herd and they nip what's being herded to enforce their desires. It's actually related to prey drive, and actual biting and damaging the livestock has to be trained out of them. If you let them herd instincively they'll draw blood.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Ahhhh. Just Google ' dogs that bite ' and I believe every website will say the same thing, pits and rotts are at the top of every list.
    Well, I found this. Looks like an actual scientific look at the subject.
    https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/L...of-Breed-in-Dog-Bite-Risk-and-Prevention.aspx

Some interesting snippets

In a range of studies, the breeds found to frequently appear in lists of dogs implicated in biting incidents were German Shepherd Dog, mixed breed, pit bull-type dogs, Rottweiler, Jack Russell Terrier, and others (Chow Chow, Spaniel, Collie, Saint Bernard, and Labrador Retriever).]

Breeds found to be more aggressive toward people based on behavioral assessments and owner surveys includes tend to belong to small- to medium-sized breeds such as the collies, toy breeds and spaniels.

Owners of dogs that are identified by the community as ‘pit bull type’ may experience a strong breed stigma,44 however controlled studies have not identified this breed group as disproportionately dangerous. The pit bull type is particularly ambiguous as a “breed” encompassing a range of pedigree breeds, informal types and appearances that cannot be reliably identified.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That statement is based on???
    Which one? I said 3 things.
    The increased tendency of pit bulls to bite.

They're the ones, "for whatever reason", that currently get reported most. Maybe it's because they're powerful dogs and cause more damage than a Yorkie. Maybe it's because, since they currently have the stigma they have, the ownership by *******s is disproportionately high, and so that behavior translates to the dog. Whatever the reason, they get reported more and are in the news more than other dogs.

Jamil, herding dogs (like border collies) instinctively herd and they nip what's being herded to enforce their desires. It's actually related to prey drive, and actual biting and damaging the livestock has to be trained out of them. If you let them herd instincively they'll draw blood.

Sure, I've had border collies nip at my feet. And maybe I'm inferring more than was said, but "increasingly aggressive", to me, does not sound like the dog's natural herding instincts.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Precisely. That does not mean they are more prone to biting or that that bite more people than other breeds.

Would you not agree that the potential consequences are more serious when a pit bull, rottweiler, German shepherd, etc. bite when compared to a cocker spaniel or other wimpy dog?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Would you not agree that the potential consequences are more serious when a pit bull, rottweiler, German shepherd, etc. bite when compared to a cocker spaniel or other wimpy dog?

Why does that matter? Shouldn't it matter more when a "wimpy dog" bites people more often than a pit bull or a Rotty?

I have multiple UPS and FED EX drivers doing drop offs and pick ups at my work. And I have talked to them about dogs. The most problems they have had are with Retrievers. Never with the pit bulls or Rottys. And these guys deliver all over.

mondomojo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2015
    India-no-place
    I have a 2 year old shepherd/am staff mix and go to the local dog park almost daily. From my experience many of the pibbles tend to play rough and often draw blood from my dog when the same type of play with another breed won't. I'm not saying it's malicious or predatory, but like Bullwinkle the just don't know their own strength. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7mmrF-4rUE More prone to bite? I don't know. Rougher at play? Most def. Just my 2¢ents.

Top Bottom