Certain dog breeds...I just don't get it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    There are some 53 MILLION dogs in the US.

Bully breeds make up 30-40% of those dogs. So, 21.2 MILLION on the high end.

There were 42 dog bite fatalities in the US last year. 27 of them "pit bulls".

So, you had a 1.27 * 10^-6 chance of getting killed by any particular "pit bull" last year.

Even if my numbers are off by an order of magnitude..... yeah......

Same question to you , have you ever been around one of these dogs and if so were you attacked, or are you just posting stats off the web ? Again reread my post and enlighten yourself, before you judge...

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    There are some 53 MILLION dogs in the US.

Bully breeds make up 30-40% of those dogs. So, 21.2 MILLION on the high end.

There were 42 dog bite fatalities in the US last year. 27 of them "pit bulls".

So, you had a 1.27 * 10^-6 chance of getting killed by any particular "pit bull" last year.

Even if my numbers are off by an order of magnitude..... yeah......
    IMO this is a slightly misleading statement here. By stating "any particular "pit bull" you are assuming that each and every pit bull is predisposed to killing. These statistics don't prove that. The only thing the statistics demonstrate is there is a 1.27 chance in a million of being killed by a dog that is a pit bull.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Have I been around "pit bulls"? Sure. Plenty. Every single one has been a sweety. Even the fairly abused female that was being "bred" by the redneck neighbors when I lived in the 'hood. She just wanted a belly rub and some fresh water. Sad day when Animal Control took her (and a bunch of others) away, but her owner was a punk.

Been around lots of dogs. Only had issues with "lap dogs" and a few un-trained mutts, and one particular un-trained Boxer (that one was scary). My wife had a Rottweiler (the "scary dog" of the 1990's) for years. 150# lap dog. Yeah, it COULD eat your face. It would rather lick it.

And yes, my "stats" are crap. But, they illustrate just how ridiculous this whole thing is. In the grand scheme of things, maulings by "pit bulls" are beyond unlikely. There are MILLIONS of them in the US right now, and a handful of bites, and even fewer fatal attacks. Killing 21 MILLION dogs? For what?

If you are afraid of "pit bulls", then buy a lottery ticket. You have a better chance of winning.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Have I been around "pit bulls"? Sure. Plenty. Every single one has been a sweety. Even the fairly abused female that was being "bred" by the redneck neighbors when I lived in the 'hood. She just wanted a belly rub and some fresh water. Sad day when Animal Control took her (and a bunch of others) away, but her owner was a punk.

Been around lots of dogs. Only had issues with "lap dogs" and a few un-trained mutts, and one particular un-trained Boxer (that one was scary). My wife had a Rottweiler (the "scary dog" of the 1990's) for years. 150# lap dog. Yeah, it COULD eat your face. It would rather lick it.

And yes, my "stats" are crap. But, they illustrate just how ridiculous this whole thing is. In the grand scheme of things, maulings by "pit bulls" are beyond unlikely. There are MILLIONS of them in the US right now, and a handful of bites, and even fewer fatal attacks. Killing 21 MILLION dogs? For what?

If you are afraid of "pit bulls", then buy a lottery ticket. You have a better chance of winning.
    :+1:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Question: Have you ever been around one of these dogs and of so were you attacked?

Yes, I have and haven't had any problems.

To be honest, I don't feel comfortable around dogs. There might be a few over the years that I've warmed up to, but in general I'd rather be bit than licked - it's disgusting and the owners get pissy when shoot their dog just because it licked you.

If not, then reread my post and enlighten yourself.
    I did read it. There was nothing new in that post that hasn't been written repeatedly over the previous 20 pages, or in the other thread on this same topic.

Why are you POTP? Because (A) you made a blanket statement that pit bulls are "good dogs" and thus implied suitable pets for anyone and (B) continue to perpetuate this analogy between inanimate guns and living animals just so you can paint your opponents as gun-haters.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I've been out of town most of the week so I was unable to follow with any regularity. It seems the thread has took a turn into sort of a us against them kind of thing.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but my original intent was not to suggest that all Pits are bad or that the breed should be eliminated. It was really just saying that I don't understand why so many people want these dogs over other breeds given the history of how bad it can be if and when one does attack.

I also am baffled by, in my families instance, how quick some are to dismiss the fact that some pits do attack and how they find a way to blame anything or anyone except the dog.

Nothing here has changed my way of thinking. I will still choose not to own a pit nor will I let my grandchildren be at the home of someone who does while they are in my care. It is just not worth the risk.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Back in the mid 1970s, a neighbor kid had what we called "cat dog" because of it's stripes. The dog was mean and barked all the time, so naturally many of the kids taunted it. We had no idea what breed it was. I just thought it was an ugly mutt.

In retrospect, it was a small female brindle pit bull. I don't think it ever bit anyone, but it's amusing that people today wouldn't dare treat that dog that way today!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Just an FYI. I was riding my bicycle earlier today, I was roughly 20 miles from my house, and I was almost attached by 2 lab retrievers. They were laying in the backyard, and when they saw me, they ran out into the road and started chasing me. Barking and growling. I hauled ass, and I could feel one of the dogs' breath on my ankle.

I'm shocked I was able to make it without getting bit. I'm also surprised I didn't **** myself.

Moral of the story is, I have come across pit bulls before while on my bike, but they never paid me any attention. But, I have almost been attached by 2 black lab retrievers.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    My two year old has his own dog. Remy is a mix of pit, boxer, and husky. She's a beautiful dog with amazing temperament; he can climb on her, chase her around the house, and he's been known to accidentally hit her with his toys. We've had no issues.

My pit and black lab mix is just a big baby. Bo is clumsy, he farts at expert level(there's a sense of pride that comes over you when your sleeping dog causes your wife to get out of bed and leave the room), he's always trying to cuddle, and he's about as goofy as it gets(he sticks his ENTIRE head in the bowl to get a drink). He's the perfect dog for me because he's just like me. Never had an issue.

MBTech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    BTW my mothers miniature poodle has bitten far more often than any of these dogs I am referring to. I get that small breeds are inbreed neurotic little yap dogs. What I also know is that none of her bites has ever resulted in more than a band aid or lasted longer than a quick "get out of my space" snap.

You're making excuses for this dog just like your nieces are making for their dog(s).

That is the SAME EXACT snap for each and every dog. The only thing that changes is the size of the dog and the amount of damage they are able to cause. If you think small dogs don't bite to cause as much damage as possible, you're sorely mistaken.

That's like saying someone trying to kill someone with a .22lr is just firing "warning shots" but the guy trying to kill someone with a .308 is actually trying to kill someone...

And I just realized we are neighbors... I live in Newburgh as well :)

Last edited:

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Most pit owners are underachievers, makes them feel better about themselves, kinda like tattoos.

LOL, I must be a real underachiever then, I love so called "pitbulls" and have tattoo's .... Maybe they should put me down too, I look scary and sometimes mean and I own ugly scary black guns... Geezzz, I'm the worst of the worst... I kind of like the sound of that.. Thx

Last edited:

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    You're making excuses for this dog just like your nieces are making for their dog(s).

That is the SAME EXACT snap for each and every dog. The only thing that changes is the size of the dog and the amount of damage they are able to cause. If you think small dogs don't bite to cause as much damage as possible, you're sorely mistaken.

That's like saying someone trying to kill someone with a .22lr is just firing "warning shots" but the guy trying to kill someone with a .308 is actually trying to kill someone...

And I just realized we are neighbors... I live in Newburgh as well :)
    Howdy neighbor!

How is calling it a "neurotic little yap dog" making an excuse? I blamed the dog not my mother. I simply pointed out that the result of a bite is far different than that of a pit.

The bullet analogy does not fly for me. We all know a 22 can kill just as much as anything else. I seriously doubt that my mothers miniature poodle could kill you if you were tied down and unable to fight back.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So what does that say about the person who feels the need to insult them to inflate his or her own fragile little ego?

Wondering the same thing.

I have some ink but no pits........does that make me half underachiever.

I am finding my lack of love for the breed is due to the incidents I have had due to idiot owners.

The broad brush I was using to paint the issue is back in the can.

Just seeing some silly posts and hopping the conversation stay's on point.

Top Bottom