0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The "Straight Dope" article linked does not explicitly state that the damage FPS values for the OO and .38 stuff were attained in free fall.

Being how the medical folks are a bit biased, it wouldn't suprise me that the speeds given weren't fudged (or if truthful, were not from free fall).

Fact;
    I know of 2 Soldiers that were KIA in Baghdad in 2004 at FOB Falcon from the Results of Celebratory Gunfire. By the way both were killed by smalls arms fire.

What does go up, will come down and can kill something. Do not propagate ignorance. Quit Shooting into the Air like Jackasses People....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Celebratory gunfire that never went into free fall?

Popping rounds at less than free fall result angles is obviously much more dangerous.

BTW I never condoned celebratory shooting, so I hope your comment was not directed at me.

What goes up will come down, but it might not pose the degree of risk you think.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Celebratory gunfire that never went into free fall?

Popping rounds at less than free fall result angles is obviously much more dangerous.

BTW I never condoned celebratory shooting, so I hope your comment was not directed at me.

What goes up will come down, but it might not pose the degree of risk you think.

The 2 Soldiers I know that were killed;
    Were Several Klicks away from the Celebration...
    Standing in a walled Court yard 10'x12', walls were 10' tall and 2' thick...
    Both died with days of each other....

You can argue speeds of Velocity and the Mass and the Probabilities all you guys want. It does kill people....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Your comrades may have been killed by "celebratory fire" but that doesn't mean they were killed by free falling projectiles.

Several klicks away seems to me to suggest non free falling.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Heard a lot of what sounded like large caliber fire in Anderson west of Main Street and south of 38th St. near as I could tell. I didn't feel like staying outside for too long just in case, but I'd guess it was a about 1/2 mile or so away. It was too long and regular for fire works, in my opinion.

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    No further info available other then she was hit in the hand by stray lead from a shotgun. Officers already had been dispatched to reports of gunfire and found the shotgun. Shortly after another call comes in for a 5 year old nearby who was hit in the hand.

We had a thread about this very problem, but wow.. do people not realize the properties of gravity?

Where in Kokomo??? I agree with you. I do not understand what these people are thinking. I am sure alcohol was involved. Unbelievable.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Your comrades may have been killed by "celebratory fire" but that doesn't mean they were killed by free falling projectiles.

Several klicks away seems to me to suggest non free falling.

4a225529.jpg

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    the plastic 6mm bb's that are shot from air soft guns leave the barrel at around 250fps (and higher) and they sting pretty good. i would not want to get hit with metal free falling at 250 fps. still can penetrate the skin and do some harm to a kid. Just cause mythbusters said that it couldnt kill someone doesnt mean it wont hurt. sheesh people I have pulled 9mm slugs out of roofs that went through fours layers of shingles. if anything shoot em down in the dirt and risk shooting ur own foot rather than an unknowing bystander. IDIOTS like that are the reason the freedoms from people like me are forcefully took away one law at a time. this year I read that nationwide over 40,000 laws just went into effect today.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I wish there was some way of making noise to celebrate that didn't involve weapons.
    Huh. I celebrated the new year with gunfire. I and about 20 other folks went through several hundred rounds in the hours prior and at the stroke of midnight welcomed the new year with a volley, a pail of Tannerite, and nonalcoholic sparkling grape juice. The difference is that we chose to expend the ammo into the berm of a lighted range outside Evansville.

There's a huge difference between safely enjoying the shooting sports and being so careless as to pull the trigger with no target or while intoxicated. Instead of demonizing the firearms some more, lets demonize the irresponsible *******s who engage in that sort of behavior.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Topic of the Month

Base first, decent weight, smaller frontal area than most pistol bullets.
    1/16th inch deep in soft pine. .30 cal rifle 150 gr bullet terminal velocity was 320 FPS.
    Weight to surface area key..........a OO buck pellet weighs?

The stuff they drop from planes to hurt folks down below would be of small frontal area and of decent mass (common material or higher density stuff?)

It would concentrate its energy over a small area (tip) and actually penetrate to do harm. Finned my guess, to strike small surface area tip first.

A lazy dog is indeed finned and pointy. I have some. What I was trying to say, though, is that terminal velocity is not some constant for no matter what is falling. It's drag-dependent. A human falling will have more drag than a bullet. Think in the extreme: a human falling with a parachute has a lot more drag than one without, and has a terminal velocity a lot less. A bullet is a lot more slippery aerodynamically, no matter the orientation, so has a higher terminal velocity. It can easily be fast enough to kill you. Don't send projectiles up if you can't face the possible consequences.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Snipped from link I supplied

Based on the results of these tests it was concluded that the bullet return velocity was about 300 f.p.s. For the 150 gr. bullet this corresponds to an energy of 30 foot pounds. Earlier the Army had determined that, on the average, it required 60 foot pounds of energy to produce a disabling wound. Based on this information, a falling 150 gr. service bullet would not be lethal, although it could produce a serious wound.

................COULD produce a serious wound, doesn't mean it WILL.

Doesnt say that it's gonna rain down certain death either.

That's a 150 gr bullet, with a small rear surface area (not much drag for its weight- free fall they said it'd fall rear first- flat base, unlike the finned projectiles we also spoke of).

Now, a shorter axis fatter bullet, like .38 special (somebody mentioned) would be of comparable weight most likely, but a bit more drag (and contact area distributing the blow over a larger area and reducing possible penetration). OO buck was also mentioned in other posts. weighs 53.8 gr per pellet and is .330 dia. Probably crappy drag.

Probably substantially less terminal velocity.

"easily be fast enough to kill you"..........I guess dumbing stuff down or lying for some PC greater good is justified.

Maybe here.

But not in my camp.

I don't shoot bullets in the air, I don't need your warnings.

The lack of science and reading comprehension shown on this and other threads has me not long to this site.

Last edited:

gundoggermax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    A lazy dog is indeed finned and pointy. I have some. What I was trying to say, though, is that terminal velocity is not some constant for no matter what is falling. It's drag-dependent. A human falling will have more drag than a bullet. Think in the extreme: a human falling with a parachute has a lot more drag than one without, and has a terminal velocity a lot less. A bullet is a lot more slippery aerodynamically, no matter the orientation, so has a higher terminal velocity. It can easily be fast enough to kill you. Don't send projectiles up if you can't face the possible consequences.

Just because it is more aerodynamic does not mean it has a higher terminal velocity. The weight of the object falling is a very important factor.

free body diagrams!!!

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Another food for thought, from the observation deck on the tower of america(San antonio), it's a federal offense to drop a penny from the observation desk. Why do you suppose this is?

Top Bottom