• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just on the news, an update on the girl. She suffered a broken bone in her hand, and the father found the bullet, a reported 9mm in the stroller. It happened within seconds of midnight and the reporter just said down town Kokomo. They were supposedly watching a ball drop, so anyone in Kokomo know where that might be?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    1st: Firing into the air is stupid and dangerous, and can result in death/bodily injury to individuals even kilometers away while in their homes.

2nd: The physics degree in me needs to point something out....

If you're referencing the episode I remember, they specifically said it could happen and had an interview with a Dr that described a specific instance in which a child was killed in such a circumstance.

The experiment conducted was done with the specific assumption that a bullet would have to be fired on a precise vertical trajectory to then fall back to earth at no more than terminal velocity (which they state would likely result in injury)...terminal velocity: the speed at which air resistance equals the force of gravity and an object stops accelerating. As pointed out by others this is effected by the shape and density of the bullet. Mythbusters are goofy m#$^$#^#$ but part of that show is identifying what will commonly happen in given situations, and then applying unusual/specific variables to prove/disprove the event.

They pointed out multiple times that a bullet fired even a few degrees off the vertical will retain it's ballistic flight (and speed), thus continuing to be an assuredly deadly projectile.

That said, I am glad to see you and others here are correctly berating the A$$hats that are cranking rounds into the air in efforts to increase their chances of procreating with 1st cousins.:patriot:
    THANK YOU for paying attention. I remember that episode well and recall their statement that ONLY the shot fired from a perfectly vertical barrel will be "non-fatal". I promise that all these clueless goofs firing in the air were no where near vertical which is scarey dangerous.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Just on the news, an update on the girl. She suffered a broken bone in her hand, and the father found the bullet, a reported 9mm in the stroller. It happened within seconds of midnight and the reporter just said down town Kokomo. They were supposedly watching a ball drop, so anyone in Kokomo know where that might be?

Yeah, the Techno Kats do the drop on the square corner of Sycamore and Main street at the Harris bank building. South East side of the Courthouse.
    If someone was firing, I highly doubt it was at the event.
    More than likely it came from the areas surrounding downtown... not the greatest locations. :twocents:

RTroy29035

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    It's a weapon, not a toy to used for celebration like fireworks. It is used to kill and can be used for target shooting in the proper environment. If you can't understand that you don't need to carry or have a weapon in your possession at any time.

Top Bottom