• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm looking for opinions here. Please feel free to state them all, I'm good at sorting.

I'm 6'-3", 320lbs. I work in an office & want to be equipped to discreet CC at work if I feel like it. Being a fat guy, most chairs I sit in are right on my hips...so no hip carry. Likewise, my gut precludes abdomen carry. So, as far as I can tell, I'm left with Cell Pal in front or something like a CrossBreed SuperTuck IWB in the small of my back.

I wear jeans or khaki pants with a white undershirt & button up overshirt. I'm leaning toward the SuperTuck in horsehide with the combat grip so the leather isn't in the way of a draw. My extra long white undershirt would be beneath the IWB holster with my somewhat shorter overshirt tucked around the holster. It seems that this would be the best concealed draw I could manage. The Cell Pal just seems too gimicky & has too many terrible reviews.

I've done a lot of research, but I can't find much size-specific information. Most people seem to say small gun in an IWB holster or OC. Please toss out some opinions, or even better, new ideas. Keep in mind that if the holster is in my waist band, it has to be in back or Fatty McMe can't carry it safely in concealment at work.

The Gun: 4.5" XDm .40 S&W
    The Gunner: Big guy, complete gun-n00b

My 1st gun was my SKS in November, now I have the XDm.

Thanks in advance!!!

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm a big guy, too. 6-2, 290.

I have changed my wardrobe style to make CC easier. I have gone totally to "cigar" shirts, that is, shirts that don't tuck in and have a squared off hem rather than the typical shirt thing. I have actually gone to casual tactical shirts mostly, with a magnetic bottom button and velcro on the side slits. If anyone is interested, I can give more details.

I have a very good gun belt, which is absolutely essential for a big guy. Incidentally, it holds my pants up better, too.

Then I have an inside-the-waistband holster from Comp-Tac. The combination works very well for me. I have my gunny friends watch me to see if they notice. I even teach an adult Sunday School class and stand in front of a group of thirty every Sunday morning, and no one has said they noticed anything.

You say you can't wear it on your hip; I understand. I kind of tuck mine in behind my hip at about the 4 - 4:30 spot. It's very comfortable. The worst thing is the occasional pinch from the kydex on my spare tire. That only happens if I bend to my right to pick something up while seated in an arm chair. I learned to not do that.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Get a LCP, and belly-button carry :D

I joke of course. I'm not a big fellow, but I do believe a solid belt and an IWB holster at your 4:00 should do you fine :thumbsup:

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    My brother is also of larger stature and he finds small of the back carry the best option for his 92F. He also works in an office and finds the only real drawback of SOB is he had to adjust the way he sits in his chair. Hope that helps some.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'm now 6'0 and 300 pounds (I've lost 61 pounds the past nine months), and I carry an M&P .40c or a Glock 19 in a Comp-Tac Minotaur IWB holster at about 4 o'clock. It does not conceal that well with just a t-shirt, but it does with a sweatshirt or loose button-up shirt.

I also carry a Kahr PM9 in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster. This conceals very well in slacks.

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    I started this thread awhile back showing my "fat carry". I use the Crossbreed Supertuck; I've been using it for quite awhile and really like it.

Here's the post: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/23340-fat_carry_iwb.html

Hope this helps. I do NOT tuck with it though so I do not know how that would work for you. I also carry behind my hips because I'm too wide as it is for arm chairs, etc.

Probably gonna sound like a broken record on this, but SOB carry is not recommended because you ever landed on your back, that thing is gonna mess up your back. Most of these guys are on with their 4-4:30 vs SOB.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I joke of course. I'm not a big fellow, but I do believe a solid belt and an IWB holster at your 4:00 should do you fine :thumbsup:

As a fellow big fella who knows chairs that are not wider than me. This doesn't always work. I'm looking at a belly band, for the P3AT to wear when I'm legally allowed to carry, but would lose my job if found out.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Being on of roundness myself, I'm thoroughly happy with my Crossbreed Supertuck for my Glock 19. The high cut holds back the side roll and it's still easy to draw from.

JPY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Muncie
    Once my LTCH gets here, I'll be carrying my PT24/7 Pro C in a Kholster. I've worn it a lot around the house and it seems like it's going to work out just fine. I'm 6' 300.

On the belt issue, have you guys found any budget belts that are stiffer than normal? I don't have the guts to tell my wife I'm spending $60 on a damn belt lol.

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    On the belt issue, have you guys found any budget belts that are stiffer than normal? I don't have the guts to tell my wife I'm spending $60 on a damn belt lol.

In all honesty I would skimp on a holster before I skimped on a belt. The belt does the real work. To answer your question though look for a "work" belt in most dept stores/discount stores. They are usually thicker and 1.5" would be a good size. I used to wear out one or two of these a year before I got a good quality belt. They would always break at the hole I was using...

(buy a nice one and never look back :D)

M9Hoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    NWI
    Once my LTCH gets here, I'll be carrying my PT24/7 Pro C in a Kholster. I've worn it a lot around the house and it seems like it's going to work out just fine. I'm 6' 300.

Get one of these. :D

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for all the great information so far guys.

The Kholster looks like a pretty good option, since it's about 1/2 the price of a SuperTuck. SOB seems like it may still be an option. My posterior is so huge, I can't imagine actually falling onto the gun w/out landing on something other than a flat floor. But I'll probably end up moving it around CCW until I get closer to 4:30 or so just in case. I just don't want the holster hitting the arm of every chair I sit in.

I also plan to spend $50+ on a belt. The weak little 1.25" belt I have now is gonna give any day now anyhow. I'm probably going to opt for a 1.75" belt with stiffener. Do any of you know a good supplier at a cheap price? Generic black or brown is fine, since my shirt & gut cover my belt anyhow.

FordMan08, thanks for pointing out the Camo site. I was looking at Cabella's yesterday just for S&Gs & didn't find large sizes like I thought I would.

Last edited:

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Thanks for all the great information so far guys.

The Kholster looks like a pretty good option, since it's about 1/2 the price of a SuperTuck. SOB seems like it may still be an option. My ass is so huge, I can't imagine actually falling onto the gun w/out landing on something other than a flat floor. But I'll probably end up moving it around CCW until I get closer to 4:30 or so. I just don't want the holster hitting the arm of every chair I sit in.

FordMan0, thanks for pointing out the Camo site. I was looking at Cabella's yesterday just for S&Gs & didn't find large sizes like I thought I would.

I'll have the old lady take some pics of how I carry mine this weekend so you can get an idea. Promise not to point and laugh at my fat arse though?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom