• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Don't waste your time. Talk to those in the know and you will see the less than stellar results with flaxseed oil. I loved reading the blog about it and the science sounded solid. After talking to quite a few people that have used the method and doing several of my own pieces down to the letter of her blog, I'm not impressed. After a few months it can start transferring and flaking. Do more research on the flaxseed method and you will find an overwhelming amount of negative experiences with it. Crisco is tried and true. Also, the heavy hitters I have been talking to that have hundreds or thousands of pieces, and use some every single day have really taken a liking to seasoning with PAM. I'm curious to try it out down the road, but for now, crisco works fantastic.

Thanks for the warning. I did find it but at $10 a taste what I'm doing seems to work just fine...and probably did for the last century.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Crisco is tried and true. Also, the heavy hitters I have been talking to that have hundreds or thousands of pieces, and use some every single day have really taken a liking to seasoning with PAM. I'm curious to try it out down the road, but for now, crisco works fantastic.

I use Crisco on all of mine also with good results. There was a guy at our deer hunting camp some years ago who fried up some chicken and his cast iron skillet was really slick and black and wiped out easily after frying the chicken. I asked him and he told me he used PAM on his to season, and every once in awhile, sprayed on a coat after cleaning.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    My grandpa always seasoned the skillets with lard.H e would get the oven 500 degrees plus and cook em till they started smoking.
    Does anyone know how homany is made?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Yard sales are the way. I sold a bunch off on our sale.

Hit a sale the other day that had a nice skillet set practically free.

Most like myself favor easier to maintain lighter weight options and get rid of the iron.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Thursday and Friday is CI days at garage sales.They are always gone by the weekend.I always ask if they have any CI and once in a while,she will go in the house and bring a piece out.Normally the answer is that it sold the first day.Did score a double print Griswold/Wagner Dutch Oven last year for $15 bucks.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Believe it or not, my best cast iron score ever was at an auction (where the prices would seemingly go high). My mom works for an auction company as a 2nd job, she stands by the auctioneer recording the bidder numbers and prices so she doesn't miss anything. 4 cast iron skillets, 2 of which are my most prized (for their light weight and uncommon branding) for $13... I sold the other 2 skillets for ~$30 or so, kept the 2 I liked best... and profit!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I sold a bunch off on our sale.

Back in the early 1980s, my wife and I had gone to Kentucky to see some of her family. Her one great-aunt had some things that had belonged to my wife's grandmother, who had died some years before, and she gave them to my wife. They included a stack of five or six cast iron skillets ranging from about 6-inches in diameter to a really big one that seemed bigger then a trash can lid.

I didn't care about those things back then, and we lived in a tiny little house, so she ended up keeping one of the skillets, that we still have, a 12-inch or so Griswold, and she threw the rest in the trash, thinking they had no value.

And, I wish I could say that was the dumbest thing we did as youngsters.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    The three I keep are Griswold,Wagner,and Wopak.I gave a friend a lightweight called Puritan.Man do I miss that skillet.It was the best finished one I ever saw.My wife did sell all my iron at a garage sale 25 years ago.........and it has took me this long to somewhat recover.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    The three I keep are Griswold,Wagner,and Wopak.I gave a friend a lightweight called Puritan.Man do I miss that skillet.It was the best finished one I ever saw.My wife did sell all my iron at a garage sale 25 years ago.........and it has took me this long to somewhat recover.

The skillet marked Puritan is a Griswold skillet made for Sears Roebuck & Co.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Sooooo....stopped by a local yard sale today, sale said HUGE so thought I'd give it a try. After looking at all the tents full of stuff I stop and talked to the nice lady's running the sale, and they asked my why I was leaving without buying anything. I said I was really looking for cast iron cookware.

The lady said...I have some but I didn't want to put it out because it's really nasty...do you want to look at it? Why yes, yes I do. minutes later she arrives with two skillets that are stuck together...$2 and you can have them both. No one has used them since grandpa....here let me wrap them for you.

So, two number 8 Griswold cast iron skillets for two bucks...I guess it helps to ask. They were obviously heavily used over a wood stove, the carbon buildup on the bottom is much heavier than on the insides...they were stuck together with generation old bacon grease...I got it warm and it scooped right out. They're out soaking in the garage right now...might put them to good use as early as tomorrow. Yee freaking ha.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Sooooo....stopped by a local yard sale today, sale said HUGE so thought I'd give it a try. After looking at all the tents full of stuff I stop and talked to the nice lady's running the sale, and they asked my why I was leaving without buying anything. I said I was really looking for cast iron cookware.

The lady said...I have some but I didn't want to put it out because it's really nasty...do you want to look at it? Why yes, yes I do. minutes later she arrives with two skillets that are stuck together...$2 and you can have them both. No one has used them since grandpa....here let me wrap them for you.

So, two number 8 Griswold cast iron skillets for two bucks...I guess it helps to ask. They were obviously heavily used over a wood stove, the carbon buildup on the bottom is much heavier than on the insides...they were stuck together with generation old bacon grease...I got it warm and it scooped right out. They're out soaking in the garage right now...might put them to good use as early as tomorrow. Yee freaking ha.
    I hate you sooooooo much right now....

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage

Nice score!!!! What are you soaking them in?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Nice score!!!! What are you soaking them in?

Citric Acid, seems to be working fine. It's a bag of the stuff I've had since I did a coat of the garage floor. It was to clean all the grease and oil off the concrete before application, since it was new I never used it. Thought I'd give this a try...

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yeah, and at what location? And what hours are you at work?

I work at home, I'm always here...unless I'm not then my family is always here and good shots...we are paranoid about our cast iron and firearms....but really, you're always welcome...no really...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom