• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    You did get a sweet deal, I've never seen one shaped like that. Looks like a cigar mold.

Apparently it's not rare at all. But I did find out there are 15 variations of this particular cornbread pan and this is variation no 12. Here is a picture of it cleaned up and getting the first round of seasoning with some of its siblings.

From top left going clockwise:
    Griswold Cornbread pan, vintage lodge skillet, Griswold no 5 skillet, unmarked square skillet, bacon press, BSR Skillet

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Not yet. I only have $42 in all those pieces in the oven right now. Lol.

SOLD!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Minor thread jack-- carbon steel skillet is replacing my cast iron for frequent usage. IMO, it's everything I like about CI, but better. Better nonstick, lighter weight but higher density, and longer handles.

Here's my 2nd Matfer Bourgeat that arrived Monday, just getting seasoned:

image.jpg

Its already amazingly nonstick!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Supposedly flax seed oil is the best but finding that has been problematic. Maybe I should go the Amazon route...
    Health section of my local Kroger has it... refrigerated health section...

Minor thread jack-- carbon steel skillet is replacing my cast iron for frequent usage. IMO, it's everything I like about CI, but better. Better nonstick, lighter weight but higher density, and longer handles.

Here's my 2nd Matfer Bourgeat that arrived Monday, just getting seasoned:

View attachment 47740

Its already amazingly nonstick!
    I never considered a carbon steel skillet but come to think of it, the best wok's are carbon steel, you season them like cast iron but they are light, conduct heat well (better than cast-iron IIRC), and are fairly cheap. I do stir fry the right way (hot & fast) outdoors on my 170,000 BTU turkey fryer in a carbon steel wok. Once I started doing it that way the quality improved drastically. I would look into a carbon steel skillet for anybody that doesn't like the weight of cast iron or care for the "nostalgia" of it.

For me, I like the nostalgia; I have a few pieces from lesser known manufacturers that I prize for their rarity. IMHO, anybody can find Griswold; not many can find Wapak, Favorite, etc. Many of the lesser known manufacturers were prized for quality.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am totally going to try the carbon steel thing. Sounds awesome. I come to a gun site, and end up buying cookware...

What can I say? We're a pretty wild crew. You just never know what you might get dragged into (says the resident Griswold snob).

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I like carbon steel too. I have a Wok, deep dish pizza pan (that also works great for scones), 19.5" paella pan all that work great. I still like the cast for retained heat. The wife like food on that table hot and it stays that way in cast cookware.

Trying to season the paella pan was problematic as it wouldn't fit in the oven...over the burner, rotate ad infinitum.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Just to complete my parallel threadjack on Carbon steel:

It's official. I now have no need at all for non-stick (Teflon or related) of any kind for any food I prepare. I have done fish, eggs, and pancakes (the trifecta of pan sticking) in my month-old carbon steel pan with no sticking at all.

The only thing it doesn't do as well as cast iron is hold heat, and that's just because it weighs less. But it heats much more evenly on my radiant ceramic flat top stove, browns amazingly well, and is far superior nonstick to any cast iron except perhaps the most prized vintage pieces. Even then, it is at least equal.

My cast iron will be used a lot less until I get a different stove that plays more nicely with it. I *hate* that flat ceramic cooktop. Only a couple pans I have will heat evenly on it, and I'm looking forward to gas or induction the next time.

ETA: plus, carbon steel is much more friendly for using on a grill. Try managing that stubby handle on a 12" or 15" Lodge with a hot pan on a hot grill.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Seeing this thread bumped reminds me that I need to clean up the kitchen. Last night, I got in touch with my vicarious Italian heritage (stepmom is of Italian extraction--her grandmother came over on the boat) and made spaghetti. I used my #9 Griswold skillet to brown the hamburger and then prepare the sauce while cooking the pasta in an 8 quart Revere Ware pot with a basket insert made for the purpose. By the time I had finished cooking and eating, I just didn't feel like cleaning up. I do get tired quickly these days. I am also not able to use the more traditional sausages given that they are loaded with salt, which does not fit with the doctor's orders these days.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My 11yr old daughter wanted to cook me dad's day bkfast, she used my 14" bayou classic cast iron manhole cover. Despite her best efforts with ham, eggs, and cheese she couldn't make anything stick despite the amount of carbon left behind. We have a 36" 6 burner gas professional range though...not one of those fancy ceramic IR thingies.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Thanks, I'm on my way to the local Kroger and will check.

Don't waste your time. Talk to those in the know and you will see the less than stellar results with flaxseed oil. I loved reading the blog about it and the science sounded solid. After talking to quite a few people that have used the method and doing several of my own pieces down to the letter of her blog, I'm not impressed. After a few months it can start transferring and flaking. Do more research on the flaxseed method and you will find an overwhelming amount of negative experiences with it. Crisco is tried and true. Also, the heavy hitters I have been talking to that have hundreds or thousands of pieces, and use some every single day have really taken a liking to seasoning with PAM. I'm curious to try it out down the road, but for now, crisco works fantastic.

Top Bottom