• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Isn't a safety not used just a switch that COULD turn your gun OFF? I guess I'm just stupid, but cannot imagine when this could ever be a good thing.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Isn't a safety not used just a switch that COULD turn your gun OFF? I guess I'm just stupid, but cannot imagine when this could ever be a good thing.

:dunno:

Train to always use it and it will never be a problem I suppose. Handgun with safeties have been around longer than any of us have been alive so it seems to be a sound principle.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    For me, I personally feel best carrying a handgun that has an amb. safety. It took me an extra month to get my m&p9c because i couldn't find one with the external safety.

I think this is completely personal preference. If you feel ok without one, then why have one?

I just recently got into handguns and carrying so i was always used all my guns (long guns) having a safety, so it is nothing different for me that my edc has one.

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    I considered this when looking at the LC9. It being the only pocket 9 I know of with a manual safety. I like the idea of a manual safety, but I did not care for the ergonomics and the trigger of the LC9 so that ended that internal debate.

DAO really doesn't need a safety in most instances anyway... but occasionally you hear stories of accidental freak discharges from pistols without a safety.

I think the one that made me think about it the most was the cop who got shot in the leg cause the side adjustment dongle thing on his parka worked its way into the trigger guard and when we exited the vehicle his body flexing tugged the cord and pulled the trigger of his holstered gun. Obviously the call out here was that he should not have been using a holster that left the trigger exposed but hindsight is always 20/20.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So I began this back when I owned a Shield and I never had an issue with it or gave it a second thought. I just picked up a nice S&W 6906 that I am going to carry and although overall I love the gun, I feel like the enormous first double action trigger pull is safety enough to just ignore the manual one. Anybody agree with me and do the same? I'm obviously not advocating carrying a cocked and locked 1911 this way. Any thoughts/insight?

I carry my 1911 cocked and locked.

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    I carry my 1911 cocked and locked.

I guess in the manner I was referring it would be cocked and unlocked. Thanks for all the insight guys. I guess there isn't such a huge difference in the trigger pull between a Glock with a 3.5lb trigger mod and carrying a P226 hammer down with no safety but I'd still never carry a Sig that way. Can't prepare for freak occurrences no matter how careful you are.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've owned two pistols that had the option of DA/SA or cocked and locked carry. The CZ40B and the Beretta 9000S (which had a safety that doubled as a decocker). I ended up carrying both hammer down and safety off. The safety was so stiff and difficult to operate under stress on each that it wasn't worth it to carry cocked and locked.

The only time I've carried a DA with safety on was the Beretta M9 when in the Army or when contracting for the military because that was the rules.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    I carry my Ruger P345 with the safety off. I carry with one in the chamber, de-cock it and put it in the holster. I figure the holster and the DA will keep me as safe as possible.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I really agree that it all comes down to training. Personally I don't want the "false comfort" of an external safety but I do believe there's nothing wrong with having one if you train yourself to use it correctly.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Personally I'm not comfortable carrying/owning a gun that has an external safety. I suppose that's why I only buy Sigs.... Proper trigger control/discipline should only be your true safety, all other mechanical safeties can fail.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Food for thought - :popcorn:

Cocked and NOT locked while carrying in a proper holster that covers the trigger guard, most will agree, is O.K.

If you were to upholster your gun...My Glocks, I carry with the safeties off but I do engage them before upholstering and racking the slides. :eek:

So...what are you using to upholster your guns?

Might I suggest this for your upholstered Glock:

100_Cotton_upholster_fabric_Yarn_dyed.jpg

On topic, regardless of holster I wouldn't be comfortable carrying a SAO gun safety off. Flicking the safety off as part of the draw stroke is pretty natural with a bit of practice.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    The individual owner needs to determine the status of the weapon. Proper practice drawing and incorporating the deactivation of any safety should be considered.

With the Smith series, in the immortal words of Col. Jeff Cooper: "Don't get caught with your dingus down."

The "dingus" is the Walther-type safety found on certain double action semiautomatic pistols.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I never carry "safety on".

Too many of my guns operate different ways - some with no safety, some decocker only, some flip down, some flip up.

Too much to remember in battle, too much to manipulate when fine motor skills are unavailable.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    My primary carry has always been a Glock so, as corny as it sounds, the safety is my finger. And I always carry with one in the chamber.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Personally I HATE manual safeties. My XDms don't have any of that nonsense. Having said that if you carry a gun that does have one and you pack it around with it OFF I would think you are opening yourself up to a whole ugly boat load of potential legal liability if something goes horribly wrong. Any lawyers wanna weigh in here? I say if you don't want a manual safety don't buy a gun with one installed!

Top Bottom