• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    When I carry my SR40 I carry with the safety off. If you are familiar with the SR series they have a trigger safety. When I carry the P30 I carry it hammer down (no safety).

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Food for thought - :popcorn:

Cocked and NOT locked while carrying in a proper holster that covers the trigger guard, most will agree, is O.K.

If you were to upholster your gun to transfer it from one location to another, would you then engage the safety until your weapon is secure again?

This is why I prefer a handgun with a safety but not to carry it with the safety on.
    Guns can discharge when you're loading and unloading the chamber and when something pushes the trigger. A safety engaged would lower the chances of a discharge during these times.

As careful as everyone thinks they are, why not have that extra level of security? Why take the chance? :dunno:

Obviously some guns you can't engage the safety while racking the slide, like the 1911 but you can while transferring it loaded to different locations.

BTW - My Glocks, I carry with the safeties off but I do engage them before upholstering and racking the slides. :eek:

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    I'm not too concerned about engaging the safety accidentally. The 6906 safety is not easy to flick unintentionally. Thanks for all the input.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The way I carry my rotation of EDCs;

1911 and Hi Power- Loaded Cocked n Locked

Sig or CZ- Loaded with hammer down in DA/SA mode

P7- Loaded

Revolvers- Loaded

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Food for thought - :popcorn:

Cocked and NOT locked while carrying in a proper holster that covers the trigger guard, most will agree, is O.K.

If you were to upholster your gun to transfer it from one location to another, would you then engage the safety until your weapon is secure again?

This is why I prefer a handgun with a safety but not to carry it with the safety on.
    Guns can discharge when you're loading and unloading the chamber and when something pushes the trigger. A safety engaged would lower the chances of a discharge during these times.

As careful as everyone thinks they are, why not have that extra level of security? Why take the chance? :dunno:

Obviously some guns you can't engage the safety while racking the slide, like the 1911 but you can while transferring it loaded to different locations.

BTW - My Glocks, I carry with the safeties off but I do engage them before upholstering and racking the slides. :eek:

That guy who shot himself at the 1500 probably thought safeties were a dumb idea...

My carry gun has external hammer down and safety on. Unholstering and flipping safety off with my thumb has become second nature. I dont think it slows me down and I like piece of mind since I'm around kids a lot.

I dont begrudge those who think the only safety that matters is between your ears, just please dont shoot me on accident.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Both of my Kel Tec pistols are DAO and no safeties. When I carry either pistol, it's loaded +1

My new M&P 9 has no mag disconnect, and no thumb safety. There is the one integrated into the trigger, but that's it. I carry the M&P loaded +1.

I am very cautious if I have to holster the M&P to make sure my shirt or something else doesn't snag the trigger. I take that step slowly and cautiously. Trigger finger rides next to the slide on the draw stroke by default.

My wife carries a Bersa thunder .380 and carries her loaded +1. We use the de-cocker to lower the hammer so the first pull is DA followed by SA.

Shootsforfun

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Once again I will say it....Trigger Disipline..You must train yourself not to put your finger, elbow, ear, nose or anything else inside that trigger guard unless you want to kill something...

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I carry a SIG Sauer P6 full time, DA/SA setup with no external safety. I feel comfortable with it. As a matter of fact, I'm considering a 1911 and will probably carry without the safety engaged.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Walking around in crowded places, I rely on DA as my safety. Going down the interstate, I flick the safety on as an added safety measure.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I carry my s/a only pistols cooked and locked, but I recently started to carry my CZ 75 Compact with the safety off and the hammer down on a loaded chamber. The trigger pull has been lightened and is not much different than my Glocks now.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I carry my s/a only pistols cooked and locked, but I recently started to carry my CZ 75 Compact with the safety off and the hammer down on a loaded chamber. The trigger pull has been lightened and is not much different than my Glocks now.

Don't they get hot? :dunno:

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    The majority of the handguns I carry do not have external mechanical safeties. However I might grab one that does from time to time depending on weather & clothing .

Needless to say I prefer not use a mechanical safety so as not to cause any confusion regardless of weapon. I always train with keeping my one "true safety" out of the trigger guard and off the trigger until target is acquired, but that's me and how I train myself.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I know of a deputy sheriff who shot himself with a 1911 because the thumb safety was off and the strap on his tactical vest deactivated the grip safety and he somehow got the trigger pulled. I was not there and don't know the true circumstances. (I tend to be skeptical of incidents like this)

This may or may not conflict with your statement. I would say the trigger finger and the brain are the only safeties that matter.

My 1911's have their grip safeties pinned, and I always use the thumb safety but I don't trust it.

I too would be skeptical of a story like this. IMO this does not conflict my reasoning if true because carrying in a mannor that disengages the grip safety either by pinning or a strap on the holster negates its use. Personally I carry my 1911 condition one with none of the safeties disabled.

A good holster and good Four Rules discipline are the best safeties. NEVER rely on a safety for safety.

:yesway:

Top Bottom