• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    What are the laws regarding this? Is there a "plain sight law"? I am considering mounting a holster for my XDm in my car and want to make sure everything is on the up and up. Thanks in advance.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    No laws telling where you have to have it in your vehicle, nor telling you if it has to be unloaded or loaded without one in the chamber, etc.

Got the LTCH? You're good to roll inside the State of Indiana.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    As long as your the only one that drives the car or everybody that drives it has an LTCH. My luck, my wife would take it to the grocery store and get caught and I would be DEAD. :laugh:

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    As long as your the only one that drives the car or everybody that drives it has an LTCH. My luck, my wife would take it to the grocery store and get caught and I would be DEAD. :laugh:

Not to change the subject, but that's exactly why I had my wife get the lifetime LTCH earlier this year!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I actually made a bracket out of .090 aluminum and bolted it to the floor, just under the seat of my truck, and I've made one for my car too, just haven't installed it yet. I have a belt holster that slides right into the bracket, and the metal clip on the holster keeps the gun from moving around while driving. If I'm gonna be driving for more than 15 or 20 minutes, I put the gun in the bracket.

abmears

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    carry in truck

I made a bracket that my holder bolts to. I mounted it on the underneath side of my dash below the steering wheel. The gun is easily accessible and out of view. I prefer this method because the gun is not rolling around and getting scratched up in my glove box or door panel like it did before.

abmears

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    carry in truck

:draw:I made a bracket that my holder bolts to. I mounted it on the underneath side of my dash below the steering wheel. The gun is easily accessible and out of view. I prefer this method because the gun is not rolling around and getting scratched up in my glove box or door panel like it did before.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Hell Duct tape it to the roof.

or try the duct tape holster!
    Gun_Holster.jpg

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Not to change the subject, but that's exactly why I had my wife get the lifetime LTCH earlier this year!

+1 Im making my girlfriend get hers eventually. Well, she wants it anyways, but there is a bit more to it.

For those that have people that regularly drive their car, you could tuck a long gun with a folding or collapsible stock in there. No need for a license. You could then have your regular carry pistol on you at all times. If for some reason you dont have your pistol, you still have the long gun.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I bought a neat little adapter that attach's on the steering column. Then it attach's to the clip of most IWB type holsters like an Uncle Mike's or whatever.

Works great at holding the pistol, keeping it right where I want it. Unfortunately it does not 'hide' the gun when I open the door. Maybe on a car that was lower to the ground it would work better.

I used to carry a shotty in my car before I was old enough to get the 'permit'. Haven't had to worry about that problem in years. Actually my wife got her lifetime before I did, just a timing thing. I don't loan my truck out because it is always packin' for me... just in case I get stupid and forget, which I have done, to bring one with me.

Personally I would love to start a thread to see how people have concealed firearms safely in their vehicles. I am considering buying a cheap left hand paddle holster and actually bolting it between my seat and the drive shaft hump in my truck.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    or try the duct tape holster!
    Gun_Holster.jpg
    My son can make stuff like that, I actually gave him custom dimensions for a wallet, and he sat at the kitchen table and made the damn thing in, like, 15 minutes. It's very comfortable to carry, and extremely functional. I'll have him work on a holster.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I bought a neat little adapter that attach's on the steering column. Then it attach's to the clip of most IWB type holsters like an Uncle Mike's or whatever.

Works great at holding the pistol, keeping it right where I want it. Unfortunately it does not 'hide' the gun when I open the door. Maybe on a car that was lower to the ground it would work better.

I used to carry a shotty in my car before I was old enough to get the 'permit'. Haven't had to worry about that problem in years. Actually my wife got her lifetime before I did, just a timing thing. I don't loan my truck out because it is always packin' for me... just in case I get stupid and forget, which I have done, to bring one with me.

Personally I would love to start a thread to see how people have concealed firearms safely in their vehicles. I am considering buying a cheap left hand paddle holster and actually bolting it between my seat and the drive shaft hump in my truck.

Fobus makes an attachment for their Roto system for that same purpose. Pick up a Fobus Roto for your gun, and the attachment is like $10.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've found that a Fobus holster clips nicely onto the door panel pocket. When I leave the vehicle, the holster either comes with me or goes under the seat.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

Had a couple close calls when I was 16 and borrowing dads truck, got pulled over and warned a couple times and he realized after I got home his pistol was still under the armrest. He was very careful to take it out when I borrowed the truck after the 2nd time...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    No laws telling where you have to have it in your vehicle, nor telling you if it has to be unloaded or loaded without one in the chamber, etc.

Got the LTCH? You're good to roll inside the State of Indiana.

That rule also applies to long guns, like rifles, shotguns, too, correct?

Actually, you don't need a LTCH (license to carry handgun) for long guns at all in Indiana.

Top Bottom