• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Actually, you don't need a LTCH (license to carry handgun) for long guns at all in Indiana.
    Correct, and I was just referring to the OP's question about the XDM. I didn't think he would be tethering a long gun to his steering column. :laugh:

Nordic, that is correct. No conditions about firearms, long guns or hand guns, being loaded or unloaded for carry here in Indiana.

Sorry for the delay, real life got in the way of my INGO play time.

aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    one more question....if I leave the gun in my car, is it necessary that I put it in a safe? I have seen a few people on here talk about safes in their cars. Is that just so if their car gets broken into, their gun isn't taken?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    one more question....if I leave the gun in my car, is it necessary that I put it in a safe? I have seen a few people on here talk about safes in their cars. Is that just so if their car gets broken into, their gun isn't taken?

Necessary as in "law"? No, there's no law or statute that proscribes this.

-J-

aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    ya, i just want to know that if I need to walk into a "no firearms allowed" property that I can just leave it in my car holster.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    ya, i just want to know that if I need to walk into a "no firearms allowed" property that I can just leave it in my car holster.

If it's a place that's off-limits by state or federal law (such as a school), then you can't leave it in your car AT ALL. You cannot have it on the property at all (except in very specific cases, like when dropping someone off at school).

If it's a place that has a sign posted that says "No Firearms Allowed", but is not actually prohibited by law, you can leave it anywhere you want. However, if you leave it somewhere visible or unsecured, it will make your car an attractive target to thieves.

Cratchelow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    New guy here

All of these car laws are applicable to my situation as well?
    I live in Illinois,have a PA carry permit which is honored by the state of Indiana.Therefore, I don't have to worry about Indiana gun transportation laws that apply to non-permit holders?

In other words,a permit is a permit? Always been confused about this and will have to put up with nonsense until my wife retires and we move to Indiana.

Illinois car law is that it has to be unloaded,but can be in console(fairly recent improvement).As soon as I cross the Indiana line,it is ok for me to then load the gun? Can I then put it on my person in my carry holster,or does it have to be off of my person? Sorry for the questions,but I have been told about 10 different things by friends.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    All of these car laws are applicable to my situation as well?
    I live in Illinois,have a PA carry permit which is honored by the state of Indiana.Therefore, I don't have to worry about Indiana gun transportation laws that apply to non-permit holders?

In other words,a permit is a permit? Always been confused about this and will have to put up with nonsense until my wife retires and we move to Indiana.

Illinois car law is that it has to be unloaded,but can be in console(fairly recent improvement).As soon as I cross the Indiana line,it is ok for me to then load the gun? Can I then put it on my person in my carry holster,or does it have to be off of my person? Sorry for the questions,but I have been told about 10 different things by friends.

Once you're in IN, you can carry a loaded firearm in your car, on your person, on your head...just don't put it in your wife's lap, unless she has a carry permit.

Cratchelow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Once you're in IN, you can carry a loaded firearm in your car, on your person, on your head...just don't put it in your wife's lap, unless she has a carry permit.
    Thanks.I don't even put my hand in my wife's lap anymore when we're in the car..and I have a permit.:):

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

I was completely wrong on this one. My apologizes.

[strike]While normally you would be correct, his circumstance is irregular.

Indiana only honors a permit if you are a resident in that state. Since you live in Illinois, you are screwed. No carry for you in Indiana, and unfortunately that includes the car. Even more unfortunate, that includes transporting a handgun in Indiana completely. No travel with it without a license/permit, unless you are moving your residence, or permanently transporting it to your place of business. (note, not "a place of business", IE range, YOUR fixed place of business, IE where you work).

So, unfortunately those are the rules. You could however carry a long gun, but that would probably difficult to comply with the Illinois laws. If you wanted to go the long gun route, I would suggest something with a folding stock that could still be shot while folded.[/strike]

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Indiana only honors a permit if you are a resident in that state.

Where did you get that?

IC 35-47-2-21

(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Seems fine to me for an Illinois resident to carry in Indiana on another state's non-resident permit.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    Quick access but "out of sight" is my rule. If you are traveling alone and someone sees your heater, then chooses to report you "brandished it", You could easily lose your license. The fewer people know you (or I) are carrying, The better. Just my opinion.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Quick access but "out of sight" is my rule. If you are traveling alone and someone sees your heater, then chooses to report you "brandished it", You could easily lose your license. The fewer people know you (or I) are carrying, The better. Just my opinion.

Indiana has no brandishing law. They would have to claim that you actually pointed your gun at them, but they could say that whether they actually saw your gun or not and it would be filing a false police report.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    Understood. I should have been more clear. what I was thinking is; In the event that I have my Handgun on the seat beside me (or otherwise in plain sight) and was approached by an individual (panhandler etc.) or Someone with issues (maybe from a place that prohibits gun ownership at all) on the road in a vehicle tall enough to see it, at a toll booth, parking garage or whatever. They might feel the need to report it. Perception is reality and if that person were surprised or felt threatend by even the presence of a firearm (some do)and If I were alone, and had no corroberating witnesses, It could be a whole lot stickier than if I had just kept me heater concealed.

I should have explained my line of thought a little more. My wife has to remind me occasionally that she is not in my head. Probable a good thing.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    They can report it all they want, but it's the same argument that people use against open carry. "You might panic someone". I soundly reject that argument and line of reasoning. You're suggesting that we "hide our shame" as though we're criminals by carrying. I don't care what the toll booth operator has to say about my firearm, and if he's going to file a false police report claiming that I pointed it at him, then he's going to face the consequences of his actions in court. If he just claims that he "saw a gun", then it gets handled like every other MWAG call already reported on INGO. The officer will check it out, nothing will happen, and everyone will go on about their day.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    Wow! Guess you told me. Is this the kind of reaction New Members get from the Moderators here at INGO's? I think Folks should do whatever they think is best. I'll be keeping mine concealed.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Wow! Guess you told me. Is this the kind of reaction New Members get from the Moderators here at INGO's? I think Folks should do whatever they think is best. I'll be keeping mine concealed.

He just rejected your reasoning and gave a counterpoint. Our MODs are gun owners too.

You are most welcome to do what you think is best and conceal, but any reasons given are always open to debate and discussion.

:welcome:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

What, he's supposed to agree with your ideas just because you are new? If you want to keep your gun hidden, do so and more power to you, but don't get your tampon twisted just because not everybody wants to, and says so!

Top Bottom