• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrolman1981

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Richmond, In
    Most departments allow ride- alongs. Also most require you to sign a waiver of liability. I'm a LEO myself and had to sign the waiver to ride with my uncle who is an IMPD Sgt.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    You can not carry on a ride along with ISP. Same for impd.
    Most IMPD does not want you to carry period.

But it was explained to be that persons wishing to ride a long could not bring their personal firearms but would know how to access a firearm if needed.

Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    I did a ride along with IMPD a 4 years ago, and I was not allowed to carry. I can't remember for sure, but I think they told me to leave pocket knives at home as well. I will say that one of the first things the officer told me about was how to get the shotgun out of the rack. He asked me if I knew how to use one and he said "if I get in trouble get it out." :)

Dept's are not going to allow you to carry a weapon just for the simple fact that an officer already has to keep you safe as well as protect him/herself. Throw in another weapon and he has to protect your gun, you, his gun, and himself. Way to much to have to worry about.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Generally, it's not allowed unless you are an LEO, also. Imagine the officer you're riding with gets a call @ a local school & you're carrying. Shouldn't be an issue, but it is since it's a felony to have a gun on school grounds. Just sayin'

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Don't ask, don't tell! :)

:+1:This.

I did a ride-along with what was then IPD back in 1997.
    The process was as follows:

I went to the East District headquarters, told them I wanted to do a ride-along (partly related to a class I was taking at IUPUI) and they gave a piece of paper to fill out to conduct a background check, and a waiver to sign. They also handed me an info sheet saying I had to be dressed in business casual attire with a tucked-in shirt. I think there was also a one-ride-along-a-year rule at the time.
    They told me to come back a week later for the ride-along.

I don't remember reading a specific "no weapons" :nono: rule in the info sheet.
    I DO remember being thankful that; 1) I wasn't searched, 2) didn't have to pass through a metal detector, and 3) that it was a winter night, so the thick coat I was wearing :shady: covered the bulge behind my right hip caused by my uh...medical device. :whistle: ;) :whistle:

Randrayla

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Additionally how does one go about setting up a ride along?

For IMPD, head to one of the district headquarters and fill out the form. They will tell you when to come back or someone will call you and tell you when your ride a long is.

IMPD has a no firearms rule unless you are Indiana Law Enforcement Academy certified.

If you choose to ignore this rule PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE carry in something like a smart carry. Don't carry in your IWB holster or something like that. If you are in a fight with someone its going to be pretty easy for them to latch on to that gun in your C-TAC. The officer you are with is using a level II or III retention holster and is trained in how to retain his weapon during a fight. Chances are you don't know how to deal with such things. So a smart carry is great because 1 no one is going to realize you're carrying, 2 its not likely some perp is going to reach into your crotch and pull your gun out. Also you better not draw your weapon unless you are actually being shot at.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    mrortega, are you or have you gone through the citizens academy? Evansville has one coming up in April. It's free and gives you an inside look at the duties of EPD. One night a week for like 7 weeks. They incourage everyone to do a ride along.
    Citizens' Academy | Evansville Police Department
    I haven't done that but thanks for the info. From what I'm reading here so far carrying is not allowed. I won't "sneak" a weapon aboard. I "conceal" some places but not in a situation like this.

Now I hope I don't get shot down on this one too but....can I at least help spray or club somebody? Plleeeeaaasssseeee! :D

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    That policy won't quite work. I always pat down anyone that ridess along with me for my safety.

Good call. Contrary to what historians say, the Tet Offensive did not destroy the VC. The person riding along could be an infiltrator.

To answer the OP, most departments have a policy against it. If you know the officer, he might not enforce the rule. Either way, I would be honest with him.

Top Bottom