• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HobbyGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Newburgh
    My polling place is a volunteer fire station. Semi CC'd (Untucked shirt). Was running behind on my way to the DR office. Had 2 people in front of me. Still went pretty quick, thankfully.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    My polling place is a volunteer fire station. Semi CC'd (Untucked shirt). Was running behind on my way to the DR office. Had 2 people in front of me. Still went pretty quick, thankfully.

Are you in Warrick or Vanderburgh? The new way Vanderburgh does it is awesome, you can literally vote at any polling center in the county. Out of 23 there are plenty in almost every area that are not off limits to carry at but be wary of churches with licensed daycares.

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    If you OC to the polls, you will be hassled. Not that it's right for "the powers that be" to hassle you, but they are on the guard for what could be perceived as voter intimidation. Outside of our gun community there are a lot of folk who are uncomfortable with guns. I would actually be afraid that someone OC'ing to the polls could give gun grabbing media types the ammo (pardon the pun) to make LTCH holders look like radicals. Can't you just see the headlines?...I hope this recent case in another thread "doesn't" get much attention because although it's a license to carry discrimination IT WILL NOT be reported from that angle.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If you OC to the polls, you will be hassled. Not that it's right for "the powers that be" to hassle you, but they are on the guard for what could be perceived as voter intimidation. Outside of our gun community there are a lot of folk who are uncomfortable with guns. I would actually be afraid that someone OC'ing to the polls could give gun grabbing media types the ammo (pardon the pun) to make LTCH holders look like radicals. Can't you just see the headlines?...I hope this recent case in another thread "doesn't" get much attention because although it's a carry rights violation IT WILL NOT be reported from that angle.
    Yep. it will be reported on like a zoo incident I remember reading about

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    If you OC to the polls, you will be hassled. Not that it's right for "the powers that be" to hassle you, but they are on the guard for what could be perceived as voter intimidation. Outside of our gun community there are a lot of folk who are uncomfortable with guns. I would actually be afraid that someone OC'ing to the polls could give gun grabbing media types the ammo (pardon the pun) to make LTCH holders look like radicals. Can't you just see the headlines?...I hope this recent case in another thread "doesn't" get much attention because although it's a license to carry discrimination IT WILL NOT be reported from that angle.

Um, NO. I have OC'd on several occasions and have NEVER had a problem. You would think if someone in Indiana would have an encounter it would be me...

Also I talked to one of the Mayoral candidates at length while OCing with sheriffs standing there (I believe they were there to vote and ****-chat and not in an official capacity) none of them gave me dirty looks or even mentioned it. My wife was ALSO OCing.

98% of people either don't notice or don't care. Most of the rest are pretty supportive. 1 in 10,000 reacts negatively. Seriously.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I would actually be afraid that someone OC'ing to the polls could give gun grabbing media types the ammo (pardon the pun) to make LTCH holders look like radicals. Can't you just see the headlines?...I hope this recent case in another thread "doesn't" get much attention because although it's a license to carry discrimination IT WILL NOT be reported from that angle.

Yep. it will be reported on like a zoo incident I remember reading about

Having been an OCer in the headlines recently I can say that in reality it opened people's eyes to what their rights truly are and was nothing but a positive. YMMV

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    I carried while voting at the Indianapolis School Administrative Building. I called ahead to verify that there was not a school or day care on the premises. I open carried my Glock 27 and had no issues at all. No comments and actually very few stares and this was downtown Indianapolis.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I carried while voting at the Indianapolis School Administrative Building. I called ahead to verify that there was not a school or day care on the premises. I open carried my Glock 27 and had no issues at all. No comments and actually very few stares and this was downtown Indianapolis.

:rockwoot:

:+1: for checking and carrying when many would have just "assumed."

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

Here's some property tax information I found on the address: Beacon - Marion County, IN (Basic)

1129 E 16th St, Indianapolis

This site wasn't any help: Property Tax Search

What I'm trying to get at is that just because there isn't a school or day-care on the property...doesn't mean that it's legal to have a firearm.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

Definition of School:
    IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property"
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;

(B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

I'd say you got very, very lucky. The building houses the IPS School Board offices, and is most assuredly part of a School Corporation.

You don't need students, or teachers, or even a building, to be considered a school. If a school corporation owns or leases the property, it is school property.

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    That's not the correct address. I truly have no idea what address you're talking about. Here is the correct address:

120 E Walnut St, Indianapolis, IN

So which part are you saying makes it not legal to carry there? That they are or are owned by a school corporation?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That's not the correct address. I truly have no idea what address you're talking about. Here is the correct address:

120 E Walnut St, Indianapolis, IN

So which part are you saying makes it not legal to carry there? That they are or are owned by a school corporation?

That's the address I got when I googled "Indianapolis School Administrative Building"

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    120 E Walnut: Beacon - Marion County, IN (Basic)

As far as what may or may not make it legal - see the bolded text in my previous post responding to yours.

Edit: Meaning if the building is owned by Indianapolis Public Schools - which I personally cannot determine - then, eldirector is right. You got very, very lucky

-J-

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    120 E Walnut: Beacon - Marion County, IN (Basic)

As far as what may or may not make it legal - see the bolded text in my previous post responding to yours.

Edit: Meaning if the building is owned by Indianapolis Public Schools - which I personally cannot determine - then, eldirector is right. You got very, very lucky

-J-
    2nd that! When an ex police officer showed up at an EVSC school board meeting as the new security coordinator (or some such title) he was packing. I don't know if it was oc or cc but he almost got arrested because the meeting was in the admin offices downtown and is considered school property. The board and superintendent freaked out.

(Note: This was told me by a maintenance supervisor one day while talking about guns and carry on school property so if someone calls me out on it-it ain't my fault, man.)

Top Bottom