• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dwight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    Can an LTCH holder carry at a polling place? I am clear on the restrictions for courthouses, schools, etc. My particular location is at a church with no school. Also, I believe firehouses and other types of locations are used throughout the state.

I have been on ISP.gov and our INGO search/ FAQ. I couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance for your insight!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I don't have the cite numbers without looking them up, but you can't be arrested both going to and coming from the polls short of a felony. It's so people cannot be harassed by the powers that be while voting. If the dogs start howling I will get the chapter and verse but I am sure one of the armchair lawyers here has it handy.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I don't have the cite numbers without looking them up, but you can't be arrested both going to and coming from the polls short of a felony. It's so people cannot be harassed by the powers that be while voting. If the dogs start howling I will get the chapter and verse but I am sure one of the armchair lawyers here has it handy.

Article 2, Section 12 of the Indiana Constitution:

"In all cases, except treason, felony, and breach of the peace, electors shall be free from arrest, going to elections, during their attendance there, and in returning from the same."

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I carried into my local grocery store this afternoon at lunch. I saw there were early voting booths set up, so I took advantage of the opportunity.

See you later Lugar, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hmmmm...I can see a couple of the po-po citing breach of the peace....

How can you see that?:dunno:

Maybe if you were walking around open carrying while banging pots and pans threatening to hurt people if they took your pots and pans away.:D

I will be the first to vote in my polling station downtown Lafayette and I will be carrying.:)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I bet "elector" is further defined somewhere to not include the vast majority of the population.

-J-

"Elector" is not the same as "voter".

According to IC it is.
    IC 3-5-4-4
    Immunity from arrest while at or going to and from polls
    Sec. 4. A voter is not subject to arrest while going to the polls, while in attendance there, and while returning from the polls. However, this section does not apply in a case of:
    (1) treason;
    (2) felony; or
    (3) breach of the peace.
    Indiana Code 3-5-4

I OCed at the last election. And it was in the local courthouse.

A glance or two was all I noticed. Although according to my son there was a bit of whispering going on. A friend of his was working the polls when I was there. He asked my son if the guy with the gun on his hip voting was his dad. M know of any law against it". And then they talked about it for a minute or two.
    There was no :nailbite::eek::crying::drama::tantrum::wrongdoor:or any other :poop:. Nobody mentioned anything about it to me, and everybody was either :coffee: or :welcome: the one lady actually jumped up to chase me down to give me my I voted sticker:laugh:.

My son's friend told him I had "lots of testicular fortitude" but I was smart and he was applying for his LTCH when he turned 18 in a few months.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom