• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I had a PA MD-08 and a Bushnell TRS-25. I upgraded to an Aimpoint M2 on one platform, traded the PA MD-08 off, kept the Bushnell and went with a 1-4x optic (SWFA SS) on another.

In terms of the budget red dot, I never had either the PA or TRS wander. The PA stayed on an M4 its whole life and the Bushnell lived on a variety of arms, including a 12ga semi-auto. I liked the Aimpoint-micro-clone profile of the MD08 better but - when deciding which to hold onto for the training rifle - I kept the Bushnell due to its far superior battery life over the PA. (3,000+ hours on the trs-25 and 800 on the PA.)

You can't go wrong with either one but the Bushnell will be easier to find than the PA and was my ultimate choice between the two due largely to battery life.

FNRA Scott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    East Central Indiana
    If your budget is south of 100 look nowhere else but primary arms. If your budget is 200 I have your answer in the vortex strikefire at 169 or sparc at 199

Please explain the pro's and con's between choosing between the red/green dot vs. bright red dot options on the Vortex Strikefire. My first choice would be to pick the bright red dot.

Thanks!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Please explain the pro's and con's between choosing between the red/green dot vs. bright red dot options on the Vortex Strikefire. My first choice would be to pick the bright red dot.

Thanks!

There really are not pros and cons. Some folks eyesight allows then to pick up green faster than red wich is why they have the red/green option. Typically the green dot is picked up faster when you have slight degrees of color blindness present (about 12%-20% of the white male population). The brightred strkiefire is just that, a brighter red dot. For me I dont pick up green any faster than red (obviously backdrop depending) and the red/green model is more than bright enough for me, so I have the red/green option. I dont use it at max brightness, and I like the idea that green is a touch of the button away even though I cant think of a time Ive needed it. Bottom line is for most people there is no wrong answer.

Hiserman79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Madison
    I like the options, I'm leaning hard towards a vortex I believe I maybe in contact soon. Why the vortex, because Vette could of made a sales pitch and ditched on th thread. Yet he still here answering various questions and isn't even pushing anything. He is just trying to help. Knowledgeable Customer service makes my buying choice easy...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I like the options, I'm leaning hard towards a vortex I believe I maybe in contact soon. Why the vortex, because Vette could of made a sales pitch and ditched on th thread. Yet he still here answering various questions and isn't even pushing anything. He is just trying to help. Knowledgeable Customer service makes my buying choice easy...

That is exactly what I try for. When I decided to do this business I could have easily been the Walmart of scopes (Id defintally make more money by selling cheapo scopes and not supporting the product) I decided to make my business more of the personal touch type business. I only sell products I use and believe to be the best money you can spend. At times I recomend somthing I dont carry (like the Primary arms recomendation in my first post).

Thats the nice thing about owning your own business, you can run it however you see fit.:D Its nice to know my unique business model is appriciated.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have two Vortex red dots. The first one I bought was a used Strikefire. When mounting it, I sheared off one of the bolts. Completely my fault, I just kept wrenching on it, and it broke. I contacted Vortex to see if I could buy a replacement, and yes, I told them it was my fault. They told me to ship it to them, and they would take care of it. They fixed it, free of charge, and it even came back with a new battery. It has been a great optic, but it started to turn off during a string of fire. It seems like there is a problem with the battery connection, or maybe a loose wire somewhere. I will be sending it in again to see what's up.

The second one, I just bought from Alan this last 1500. I bought the Sparc because I wanted a "micro" size and plan on upgrading at some point. I wanted to see if I truly liked the size of it (probably upgrade to Aimpoint) before dropping that much coin. I have taken it out once, and I love this damn thing. I sighted it in, and put ~400 rounds through the rifle and it held zero. Granted, 400 rounds isn't much at all for a test, but I'm just relaying my experience so far. Good luck.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have two Vortex red dots. The first one I bought was a used Strikefire. When mounting it, I sheared off one of the bolts. Completely my fault, I just kept wrenching on it, and it broke. I contacted Vortex to see if I could buy a replacement, and yes, I told them it was my fault. They told me to ship it to them, and they would take care of it. They fixed it, free of charge, and it even came back with a new battery. It has been a great optic, but it started to turn off during a string of fire. It seems like there is a problem with the battery connection, or maybe a loose wire somewhere. I will be sending it in again to see what's up.

The second one, I just bought from Alan this last 1500. I bought the Sparc because I wanted a "micro" size and plan on upgrading at some point. I wanted to see if I truly liked the size of it (probably upgrade to Aimpoint) before dropping that much coin. I have taken it out once, and I love this damn thing. I sighted it in, and put ~400 rounds through the rifle and it held zero. Granted, 400 rounds isn't much at all for a test, but I'm just relaying my experience so far. Good luck.

On your used strikefire, how tight do you have the battery cap?

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I was just curious because thats the first Ive heard of that issue. Try making it tighter, The worste thing that can happen is it breaks and Vortex replaces it.

It's an older model,and, IIRC, I bought it before you started your business. One day while firing, the dot just disappeared. I banged the side of the AR with my hand, and it would come back on for a few shots, then disappear again. This is why I think it's a connection issue. I haven't messed with it for awhile. I'll dig it out tonight and mess with it, an I will send it back and see what's going on soon. Thanks.

Hiserman79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Madison
    The battery life is not as good, the clarity is a step down, the durability is a step down, the price is 1/2.

That's. about as honest a guy can be. Wow, 90% of sells persons would of side stepped, done a slight of hand move and attempted to baffle with BS instead of being straight up. Now if I can figure out where my wife hid my card I'm placing an order.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    That's. about as honest a guy can be. Wow, 90% of sells persons would of side stepped, done a slight of hand move and attempted to baffle with BS instead of being straight up. Now if I can figure out where my wife hid my card I'm placing an order.

Being a good salesman is somthing I have never been only been accused of 1 time. It happened at a 1500 and I was litterly speachless (that never happens to me) I looked over at my father and kimball who were behind the booth and both of their mouths were wide open.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I'm not rich (yet), I'm not Rambo (yet) and I hopefully never have to rely on my red dot in a life or death situation (ever)... but I bought a Strikefire and I'm happy with it.

It seems to hold zero just fine tho I haven't really tried an serious precision accuracy tests with it. I prefer to use the dot on the lowest light setting. When it is turned all the way up it is a bit obnoxious to me... but its well made and I'm glad I went this route rather than spending $50 on a Tasco or some other piece of ****.

I chose to pay a little more and step up to the Vortex over the Bushnell because of the customer service everyone raves about and the lifetime warranty. (not sure if Bushnell has the same warranty). I figure if I was going to spend a couple of hundred dollars on a red dot, I'd feel better knowing Vortex guarantees my satisfaction.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I have a vortex strikefire on an AR and have put a few hundred rounds through it with no problems so far. I dont really like the blue-ish tint it has but it works well. I sometimes feel its not bright enough but i can always see the dot. If you want an aimpoint i would just stick with the buis until you can afford it. I would like to get an aimpoint one of these days "years" also.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    If you don't have the coin to buy an Eotech or Aimpoint, Vortex is going to be tough to beat. I've had the Sparc and Strikefire, and both worked very well on an AR. And deal with Vette, your not going to find a better business man out there. Don't waste your time or money with garbage from Tasco, Simmons, BSA, NC Star, Barks, UTG, Leapers, or any of the other bottom feeder optics out there. Nothing is more frustrating with a firearm than pulling down on something, and missing simply because your optics have failed you. And +1 on buying a quality set of BUIS for your rifle. That way if your ever in doubt, flip them up and lollipop with your optics to ensure your still on target.

Top Bottom