• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Actually in the first purchase his friend bought the gun, now if his friend lied about being from Ohio I think they both should be charged with felonies, his friend for illegal purchase of a firearm and he should be charged with conspiracy to commit a felony.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    :rolleyes:

Better not even think about committing a crime around this guy!:n00b:

Now what? You have no problem with people conspiring to commit felonies? Is it ok to conspire to commit murder? Rob a bank or person? Rape? :rolleyes: Sorry, but if you arrange for someone to buy a gun illegally, and especially if they carry that act out, you're just as responsible for the crime as they are. It's called guilt by association. Or, in other words, you're an accessory to that crime. And because he organized this whole thing AND video taped it, that's conspiracy, also known as a Felony.

So I guess you have no problem with this?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Really? Are you sure?

It is illegal to engage in interstate commerce of firearms unless you are a licensed dealer.

Now what? You have no problem with people conspiring to commit felonies? Is it ok to conspire to commit murder? Rob a bank or person? Rape? :rolleyes: Sorry, but if you arrange for someone to buy a gun illegally, and especially if they carry that act out, you're just as responsible for the crime as they are. It's called guilt by association. Or, in other words, you're an accessory to that crime. And because he organized this whole thing AND video taped it, that's conspiracy, also known as a Felony.

So I guess you have no problem with this?

If an accessory is guilty under the statue, that's one thing. That's not conspiracy--that's charging you as an accessory to a crime that has actually happened, not merely one that someone has thought about committing.

Taking someone to jail for "conspiracy" always has me skeptical.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    It is illegal to engage in interstate commerce of firearms unless you are a licensed dealer.

6birds has a God Complex. He was just being a smartarse. Best to ignore him.

If an accessory is guilty under the statue, that's one thing. That's not conspiracy--that's charging you as an accessory to a crime that has actually happened, not merely one that someone has thought about committing.

Taking someone to jail for "conspiracy" always has me skeptical.

Conspiracy is almost always a charge that comes along with other charges. If they can prove that you committed said felony by planning it out, that's conspiracy. The only times I've seen people charged with conspiracy alone is when they get busted hiring a "hitman" to kill their spouse, or if they get busted making plans to rob a bank or person. By that, I don't mean just saying hey, I could rob that bank if I did this, this, and this. I mean by catching you doing something stupid, then getting a warrant to search your place and finding that you had layouts of the bank, employee schedule, escape routes, explosives, etc, etc, etc, like something out of Ocean's Eleven or The Italian Job.

I hope that clears up my position on that.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Fair enough. I still don't think the planning portion of a crime should be illegal, though. Freedom of conscience is essential to a free society. I wish people wouldn't think about committing crimes, but I also believe they have a right to do so.

I guess I just have a problem with government punishing anyone for what they think, even if they're thinking about doing something terrible.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Fair enough. I still don't think the planning portion of a crime should be illegal, though. Freedom of conscience is essential to a free society. I wish people wouldn't think about committing crimes, but I also believe they have a right to do so.

I guess I just have a problem with government punishing anyone for what they think, even if they're thinking about doing something terrible.

Conspiracy is not "thinking about a crime." The elements of conspiracy require the commission of an overt act designed to advance the criminal agreement from inchoate to completion. Any 1L knows that.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Conspiracy is not "thinking about a crime." The elements of conspiracy require the commission of an overt act designed to advance the criminal agreement from inchoate to completion.

In whose opinion? You should already know where this is going. I have no confidence in government at any level to apply this standard impartially.

Any 1L knows that.

I guess it's a good thing I'm not one then, huh?

Condescending much?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    :rolleyes:

Better not even think about committing a crime around this guy!:n00b:

He just didn't think of committing a crime he arranged to film his friend maybe committing a crime, now if the friend was from Ohio it wasn't a crime just a poor job of the seller to confirm he was from Ohio.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Conspiracy is not "thinking about a crime." The elements of conspiracy require the commission of an overt act designed to advance the criminal agreement from inchoate to completion. Any 1L knows that.

He's not a 1L yet. He doesn't even know what he doesn't know. He'll learn though.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    If it was "illiegal" why did he do it? Why doesn't he get arrested if it was SOO illiegal?

Because there was no law enforcemnt officers around to see the transactions.

Does it make it any less illegal if I rob a bank and get away with it?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Because there was no law enforcemnt officers around to see the transactions.

Does it make it any less illegal if I rob a bank and get away with it?

It seems the real problem is that he thinks criminalizing something prevents people from doing it.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    It seems the real problem is that he thinks criminalizing something prevents people from doing it.

Nope. You miss the mark again :rolleyes: Not all punishments are meant as deterrents. Some punishments, believe it or not, are just that---punishment for a crime commited. And btw, it is a proven fact that in many, if not MOST cases, the criminalization of an act will decrease it's occurence. :n00b:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Without having read all of the posts.........I tried to view this video on youtube and it is interesting that the "author" has disbled the "leave comment" feature for this video. I guess they are afraid that somebody might try to blow out all of the sensationalistic B.S. with facts. I hate FACTS they always ruin a good story!!!!

I wonder how many sellers refused to deal with him? It might be interesting to see that side of the story but of course talking about the 40 or 50 guys that refused to sell to him so he could make a big deal about the few that did might bring up that nasty FACT thing again!!

Top Bottom