• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If I remember correctly Jelly Bryce spent A LOT of time doing this sort of draw-on-yourself-in-front-of-a-mirror exercise. Worked well for him.

Let's see. Ah, here it is:

"It was . . . in Oklahoma City that Bryce perfected his quick draw, practicing facing a full-length mirror at police headquarters, sometimes for as much as 8 hours at a time."

The FBI'S Legendary Sharpshooter - Jelly Bryce
    interesting story.:draw:

SWAT-DOC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Really, if you can't be responsible enough to make sure you weapon is safe to train with you should not have one in the first place. Weapons check in two minutes.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Jack, I'm new to the forum. I dry fire practice a lot, following safety protocols as outlined above (snap cap, multiple chamber checks, shootable background, no ammo in room). Are you opposed to all dry fire, or just the drill proposed here, or what?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Airsoft guns and Blue Guns are good for this kind of thing, too.

That would never happen to me. Never. You know why? I invested in a $12 part that eliminates it. A drop in plastic barrel for my Glock. BTW - Are you working with a surgeon to remove the stick?

i'm a huge fan of blue/red guns and the safety barrels for dry fire practice. the safety barrel in particular is great for practicing your draw, reloads etc.
    dry fire practice is still practice and should, safely, be part of your training regimen. :twocents:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Do what ya want kiddies. Sooner or later you will have something to "fess up" to. If every one stays lucky, no one will have to get killed for you to learn the simple lesson you all seem so adament about RIGHT AFTER SOME ONE GET'S KILLED.

Gun safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The rules of gun safety follow from this mindset. While there are many variations, the rules introduced by Colonel Jeff Cooper are those most commonly taught during gun safety training:
    1. "All guns are always loaded".
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Always be sure of your target.

—Jeff Cooper[1]
    The NRA provides a similar set of rules:
    1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

—The National Rifle Association, The fundamental NRA rules for safe gun handling[2]
    The Canadian Firearms Program uses the concept of The Four Firearm ACTS:
    1. Assume every firearm is loaded.
    2. Control the muzzle direction at all times.
    3. Trigger finger off trigger and out of trigger guard.
    4. See that the firearm is unloaded. PROVE it safe.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...996-morgan_co_man_killed_by_stray_bullet.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/23170-fess_up_time.html

Follow any one of those sets of rules and no one get's shot.

Every time some one get's killed "accidentally" with a gun, I'll bet you find one of those rules was violated by the person with their finger on the trigger and the gun didn't just magicly "go off" and at the time they were violating the rules they darn well knew they were.

Oh but they are oh so smart, it could never happen to them. Before they kill some one they all have all kinds of statistics and instances, quotes and anecdotes.

After they kill some one they are all about "I should have known better..." and you same bunch are on their case about how stupid that idiot was... blah blah blah. Well guess what. People are people and that moron who shot some one 300 yards away with a 45 isn't any more stupid than you are and you are not any smarter than he is.

The only thing seperating people who don't have accidents with guns from people who do have accidents with guns is THOSE SIMPLE RULES and all the people who haven't killed any one accidentally YET.

Keep it up, you'll get there.

Last edited:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Do what ya want kiddies. Sooner or later you will have something to "fess up" to. If every one stays lucky, no one will have to get killed for you to learn the simple lesson you all seem so adament about RIGHT AFTER SOME ONE GET'S KILLED.

Gun safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...996-morgan_co_man_killed_by_stray_bullet.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/23170-fess_up_time.html

Follow any one of those sets of rules and no one get's shot.

Every time some one get's killed "accidentally" with a gun, I'll bet you find one of those rules was violated by the person with their finger on the trigger and the gun didn't just magicly "go off" and at the time they were violating the rules they darn well knew they were.

Oh but they are oh so smart, it could never happen to them. Before they kill some one they all have all kinds of statistics and instances, quotes and anecdotes.

After they kill some one they are all about "I should have known better..." and you same bunch are on their case about how stupid that idiot was... blah blah blah. Well guess what. People are people and that moron who shot some one 300 yards away with a 45 isn't any more stupid than you are and you are not any smarter than he is.

The only thing seperating people who don't have accidents with guns from people who do have accidents with guns is THOSE SIMPLE RULES and all the people who haven't killed any one accidentally YET.

Keep it up, you'll get there.

So, are we to understand that if you have a gun out, you're the only person within 10 miles, have a 100 ft tall backstop on all four sides and are wearing armor head to toe?

BTW - Josh - good drill. I've done this one quite a bit with my unloaded handgun.

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    He must have been born with an unnatural level of speed and skill that us mere mortals can only come close to by extensive training.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    He must have been born with an unnatural level of speed and skill that us mere mortals can only come close to by extensive training.

Are you kidding me? No amount of training is gonna get us anywhere near his mad skillz. :):

And he completely sidestepped the idea of using Airsoft, Blue Guns or Training Barrels for this drill. Guess they're not safe, either. :rolleyes:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Jack, following your posts in this thread, the ONLY way to practice is at a "proper" range shooting at paper targets (or other easily acceptable destroyable targets). That says to me that taking ANY form of training, especially force-on-force training that conditions you to actually be able to shoot at another person in self-defense, is completely unreasonable and unsafe (based on what you've written).

This drill, when combined with certain other safety measures (such as removing all ammunition from the room, using a blue gun or training barrel, and being sure of your backstop), actually appears to be a fairly decent alternative to dry firing at a random wall in your home.

In regards to your examples of everyone commenting on how stupid someone is when they have an ND and then post a video of it on YouTube or elsewhere:
    a) the guys fessing up to it here are trying to offer their mishaps as learning experiences to reinforce to those of us who haven't had an ND (yet) that the safety rules have to be followed ALL the time.
    b) the videos being made fun of generally aren't guys "practicing to improve their skills." The ones I've seen have generally been dumbasses screwing around and showing off to their friends and completely disregarding the safety rules and abandoning all common sense.
    c) in the specific case of the guy in Morgan County who has been arrested for the death of his neighbor 300 yards away: I'll have to read the thread again, but I don't recall anyone saying the man was an idiot. If his story is true, if he was testing a weapon he had just repaired and was firing his 15 shots into the ground like he said, then it was sincerely an unfortunate, freak happenstance, and I think you'll find that everyone said so. The question is whether he actually WAS following the 4 Rules of Safety and being honest about what he was doing and where he was doing it.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Thank you for the suggestion on trying to out shoot yourself, as for all the crap about safety...

A guy can't even make a good post anymore without getting crap...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    At this juncture, as a public service I'd like to remind us all that the "ignore" feature can really enhance your enjoyment and INGO.

That is all.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    lol

This thread gave me a asthma attack, from laughing too hard.

Josh, this is a great drill, I have been doing it for YEARS, SAFELY.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I rather enjoy the various opinions. Some see safety as never touching your gun unless at the range or in case of emergency.

Others see it for the tool it is and choose to know their weapons intimately.

I've been away from firearms for far to long. Fishing had been my focus and until this past election I only kept a small kel-tec and shotgun in a safe for home defense.

Since I started activley carrying again, I've started shooting in matches again. I don't shoot to win, I shoot to get my skills back up to where they once were.

With that comes the drawing, dry firing, quick mag changes etc. All things one may encounter in a gun fight.

Simply owning a gun does not mean the owner is qualified to use it. KNOWING your gun is your responsibility.

My gun does not sit in a glass case, only to be broken in case of emergency.

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    I applaud you for taking the necessary steps in order to actually improve your level of proficiency. Too many people (see gun store "experts") equate amount of time carrying into some sort of expertise.

Top Bottom