1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Exercise:

1) Get a full length mirror.

2) Draw your empty weapon.

3) Sight on your weak side eye.

4) Dryfire.

*You're never going to outdraw yourself, but you'll keep trying. That trying will make you faster.

*Shooting at targets, no matter how lifelike, is still shooting at targets. It's a whole different feeling pulling a gun on a person. If you get used to looking someone in the eye (necessary to establish dominance) while looking over a set of sights, you'll be that much better off if you're ever tested in real life.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Playing games with guns is how people get killed.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/23170-fess_up_time.html

How do all those "every gun is loaded"

"only point it at something you want to shoot"

and a multitude of other claims of "safe" gun handling fit in to these game playing scenarios that eventually crop up...

Keep playing games with guns, in the house, in front of the mirror and TV, horsing around in camp and sooner or later there will be another "fess up" thread for ya'll to admire...

Just hope no one get's killed next time, but lucky don't last for ever.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Jack, it's not a game.

Read through it again. It's somewhat physical conditioning, but more importantly, mental conditioning.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Specific to dry fire exercises:

Remove all ammo from room.
    Use a snap cap in the chamber or a training barrel.
    Use a mirror (and what lies behind) that may be a PITA to repair/replace but not a tragedy.

Playing and practicing are two different things IMO.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Exactly. Behind my mirror lies a sheetrock wall. Beyond that is the laundry room. The laundry room wall is lined with cement blocks. Beyond the cement blocks, is earth. It's underground.

I could fire off a 7.62 and likely not hurt much.

Regardless, the ammo is left in the other room and the chamber is checked like 5x or more.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Playing and practicing are two different things IMO.

Yep, "practicing" is what it's called when people are advocating it and playing games on the internet.

Morons playing around is what you same guys call it when some one get's shot.

Make all the excuses you want. It's all fun and ..., er, I should say "practice" until some one bleeds, fess's up, what ever. Get yer 410 derringers and go for it kids.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Exactly. Behind my mirror lies a sheetrock wall. Beyond that is the laundry room. The laundry room wall is lined with cement blocks. Beyond the cement blocks, is earth. It's underground.

I could fire off a 7.62 and likely not hurt much.

Regardless, the ammo is left in the other room and the chamber is checked like 5x or more.

If yer pointing it at something you would not be afraid to shoot, I've got no problem with it. Entirely different situation than the random messege board poster playing Roy Rogers in front of what ever mirror gives him the best view.

Carry on.

This guy probably just didn't have a clue.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...996-morgan_co_man_killed_by_stray_bullet.html

He probably didn't just think the gun was clear and just drop the "hammer". He probably wasn't just randomly pointing it while checking the trigger.

He probably did have it pointed in a safe direction and saw every bullet hit the dirt right where he was aiming it.

Probablly just a fluke ricochete shot bouced off some "iron" wood and threaded it's way through the wall studs. Could never happen again in a million years. Not among all these highly competent gun experts on this board.

He was probably "practicing" too.

Last edited:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Ok, let me add this disclaimer:

Have a good backstop. I'm not responsible for injuries.

Glass is a crystalline structure. When hit by a bullet, it tends to fly backwards, toward you. Exercise the same caution, including eye and ear protection, as you would on a range.

If you cannot safely do this inside, take the mirror outside.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I haven't and won't make any excuses.
    Just because it's fun doesn't mean it's playing.
    Calling playing practice doesn't justify unsafe acts.
    Teacups make a safe gun substitute to practice twirling.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Probablly just a fluke ricochete shot bouced off some "iron" wood and threaded it's way through the wall studs. Could never happen again in a million years. Not among all these highly competent gun experts on this board.

Oh do pray tell us grossly incompetent mere peons in more detail about your resume of :mallninja: training with the SAS, your time as a Marine Force Recon sniper, the times and dates of your victories at the Steel Challenge, Bianchi Cup, the NRA National Matches, etc., and how you taught Col. Jeff Cooper, Rob Leatham, Carlos Hathcock, and Gabe Suarez everything they know... :rolleyes: :whistle::popcorn:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/23170-fess_up_time.html

How do all those "every gun is loaded"

"only point it at something you want to shoot"

and a multitude of other claims of "safe" gun handling fit in to these game playing scenarios that eventually crop up...

Keep playing games with guns, in the house, in front of the mirror and TV, horsing around in camp and sooner or later there will be another "fess up" thread for ya\'ll to admire...

Just hope no one get\'s killed next time, but lucky don\'t last for ever.
    That would never happen to me. Never. You know why? I invested in a $12 part that eliminates it. A drop in plastic barrel for my Glock. BTW - Are you working with a surgeon to remove the stick?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN

Keep playing games with guns, in the house, in front of the mirror and TV, horsing around in camp and sooner or later there will be another "fess up" thread for ya'll to admire...

Just hope no one get's killed next time, but lucky don't last for ever.

The Nationally known competition shooters all claim to dry fire 2-3 times as many live rounds as they shoot. Do you think they drive to the range to practice their draws and dry fire? NO i dont think so. I dry fire and practice drawing EVERY day in my wait for it.... say it aint so.... HOME! I do and i can honestly say i am a better shot/draw for it as well. If one follows the rules of firearm safety it does not matter how much you practice. Clear the gun, put ammo in a seperate location while practicing and as long as you follows those two rules, i PROMISE you the gun will never fire on an empty chamber. If you do have an Negligant Discharge while practicing in your home, THEN YOU DIDNT CLEAR THE GUN. and the ND is not a result of dry firing in your home, rather lack of attention to detail and unsafe handling of a pistol. The backstop should NEVER matter when dry firing as long as you have observed all safety precautions prior to your practice session.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    If you do have an Negligant Discharge while practicing in your home, THEN YOU DIDNT CLEAR THE GUN. and the ND is not a result of dry firing in your home, rather lack of attention to detail and unsafe handling of a pistol.
    One of the many books I have read talked about a negligent discharge the author had FOLLOWING such dry fire practice. He had been spending a lot of time dry firing in front of a mirror with all precautions having been taken. Then he went in another room and reloaded his gun to carry.

Somehow, he then went into autopilot mode and drew and fired the gun as if he were still in front of the mirror practicing. No one was hurt and some home repairs were required. His ego took the most damage.

So, there is one more step to being safe.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If I remember correctly Jelly Bryce spent A LOT of time doing this sort of draw-on-yourself-in-front-of-a-mirror exercise. Worked well for him.

Let's see. Ah, here it is:

"It was . . . in Oklahoma City that Bryce perfected his quick draw, practicing facing a full-length mirror at police headquarters, sometimes for as much as 8 hours at a time."

The FBI'S Legendary Sharpshooter - Jelly Bryce

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    When I first got into martial arts way back when we were taught a very similar drill for striking speed. It worked.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom