just think it was a truck backfiring an the poor thing was just a
    victim of roadkill.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    This is one of the many reasons why I can no longer live inside 'city limits'.

Don't release the thing. There is nowhere that is good habitat for raccoons that doesn't already have plenty of raccoons. If you can keep the cat up trap it with a 220 conibear, it will be dead when you find it. Failing that, catch it in a live trap, drive it off somewhere you can legally discharge a firearm, and shoot it.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    live trap, pair of leather glove and a 5 pound mini-sledge hammer. stun it, thow it in neighbors yard and then shoot it. it'll be their problem then and your problem is solved. just don't miss.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Read Albert Einstein's biography, teach yourself quantum physics, figure out how to build a REALLY SMALL atomic device... booby trap the catfood bowl... don't forget to set cat food bowl OFF of back porch first...

C'mon! Aren't we overthinking this a little?

:scratch: :@ya:

Bottom line is... if said coon disappears, and quietly enough that no one notices, and no one calls the gendarmarie... was the coon ever really there?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok serious question. You can't use a firearm, but what about a pellet gun or CO2 gun? I mean, if it's being a menace, and you have no means of trapping it, you can use one of those right?

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Ok serious question. You can't use a firearm, but what about a pellet gun or CO2 gun? I mean, if it's being a menace, and you have no means of trapping it, you can use one of those right?

I would guess that it depends on your local city ordinance, but I know that it is illegal in the city that I live in.

That said, no one ever seems to think of the slingshot in cases like this. Quieter than any firearm, and potentially lethal if you use one of the good models.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I would guess that it depends on your local city ordinance, but I know that it is illegal in the city that I live in.

That said, no one ever seems to think of the slingshot in cases like this. Quieter than any firearm, and potentially lethal if you use one of the good models.

:+1: on the slingshot...No wait.

Put the cat food next to the boat, wait quietly with your streamlight in one hand and a spear in the other. When you hear him next to the boat jump up on the casting platform, hit him with the streamlight and scream "Thar she blows" right before you harpoon him.

BBQ him up and if anybody questions it just tell 'em that you were dreaming.

Whaling is in season in April isn't it?

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    As a new castle native and have ran into the issue myself....NO you can't shoot it with a regular gun but a pellet gun will remove the issue quite well. Also, the good old 9 iron to the brain pan will relieve the issue but dump it somewhere outside of town.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I live within the city limits of new castle. Lately I've had a raccoon hanging around on our porch eating our cat food (I wish it would just eat the cat... :D)

Am I legally allowed to shoot it? Do I have to use a rifle or can I use a pistol?

Either way it'd be a 22lr

I have a friend that will demolish it with a ditch blade if you'd like. He's over in fortville, I'll give him one night and you'll hear a thump and it will be over. He'll use everything in it too, no waste.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    stop putting cat food out side.

A good point. There are coons everywhere. Getting rid of one or 10 will not solve your problem. You might try feeding the cats in the morning.

Animals, like people will go for the easy tasty treats every time!

You wouldn't by any chance be putting hot a hot apple pie on your porch any night soon will ya? If so PM me your address! And, no shooting in the city limits!!!!:popcorn::D

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Had a skunk issue once while living in town. Sat in the living room one night drinking a beer waiting for the little bugger to show himself. Popped him with a .22 rifle shooting long rifle. One shot, one kill! Nobody outside heard a thing. One thing though, remember to open the door or window you'll be shooting through. . . . . . . .and be wary of what's downrange!

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Animal control will not pick up the animal because it is not a domestic animal. You have to haul it off yourself. Be sure you take it at least 20 miles or it will come back. If you need to borrow a trap pm me.

As a side note to this though according to state law you must release the trapped animal in the same county it was trapped in.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    As a side note to this though according to state law you must release the trapped animal in the same county it was trapped in.

I New Albany, I was told the same thing. The DNR guy told me to fill a trash can with water and dump the trap with coon inside into it. I won't say what I actually did.;)

Top Bottom