Can anyone tell me why, if Glocks are so good...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    He is referring to 1911's. He is been on a kick lately about 1911's supposedly needing tuned, tweaked and sent back to the manufacturing to get the running right after you buy them. :nuts:

Well, Cathy put new grips on her Rock. Does that count as tweaking and tuning?

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Geez... youse guys sound like Limbaugh and Carville in a cage match. Lots of noise, not much substance. Why don't we all just admit there's lots of good guns out there and we can all pick what we like? Color me Sig black, but I can't pick on the Glocks too much, even if I don't like them. They do do the job.

:popcorn:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Geez... youse guys sound like Limbaugh and Carville in a cage match. Lots of noise, not much substance. Why don't we all just admit there's lots of good guns out there and we can all pick what we like? Color me Sig black, but I can't pick on the Glocks too much, even if I don't like them. They do do the job.

:popcorn:

Oh I agree there are many good guns on the market. It's the ones, who names I wont mention that think the Clocks are the end all pistol!

ajallen125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I'm new to INGO and don't have nearly as much experience with guns as many on here, so take what I say w/ a grain of salt. Like others have posted, there are many out there and sometimes it takes owning a couple to figure out which one you like the best. I've owned 3 now and have decided that the 27 is the perfect carry pistol for me. For everyday carry, I'll only use Glock. If I ever do need to pull it out of my holster in a hurry, there's only 1 thing I need to do to get it to fire (once I've sighted my target of course)...squeeze the trigger. The gun is simple to use, safe, and easy to clean. Hope that helps.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Oh I agree there are many good guns on the market. It's the ones, who names I wont mention that think the Clocks are the end all pistol!

I wish they were the end all pistol for sure. I wish they adjustable backstraps, more swappable magazines and some ambi stuff. I wish the Kahr pistol I have is like that too. But they don't. I don't know if I am 'one you won't mention' or not; but, I just post stuff to see you guys get stir crazy over it. You are equally vehement about your 1911s being impervious that you don't even your hypocrisy when you accuse the real Glock fans of being so vehemently 'Glock only'.

I think it's just plain funny that these threads are almost once a day thing. And, when I'm bored on this site, (which is often b/c not many posts any real info-- like reports, reviews, new purchase stuff etc. that it interesting; and, the politics and break room is same old crap different day) I can hop on over and see the latest fan boys going at it about their specific soul saving guns. I mean, really, doesn't the 1911 or Glock save our souls? :rolleyes:

Continue on.... sorry if your feathers are ruffled about your little toys. OUR little toys.

:laugh::ingo::patriot::popcorn:

EDIT: I've owned two XDs that functioned out of the box as well. I just had issues with the 'extras' on them that weren't needed for me. I'm definitely not a Glock guy. My old G19 actually doesn't like wolf ammo... so... no I'm not a hard born 'fan'.

Last edited:

EMC0853

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    I was a professional photographer for 27 years. Throughout that career I would occasionally run into other photographers who were dedicated to one brand of camera over another. That degree of dedication was based on a flawed perception of reality. A camera was a tool - nothing more. In the right hands the results were good, but placed in the wrong hands, there was no camera that could make up for a lack of talent or skill.

I think that logic can be applied to any other tool. Buying a Shop Smith does not make you Norm Abrams, and buying ANY specific firearm will not make you an instant crack shot.

Just my opinion.

You cannot quantify the unquantifiable.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I was a professional photographer for 27 years. Throughout that career I would occasionally run into other photographers who were dedicated to one brand of camera over another. That degree of dedication was based on a flawed perception of reality. A camera was a tool - nothing more. In the right hands the results were good, but placed in the wrong hands, there was no camera that could make up for a lack of talent or skill.

I think that logic can be applied to any other tool. Buying a Shop Smith does not make you Norm Abrams, and buying ANY specific firearm will not make you an instant crack shot.

Just my opinion.

You cannot quantify the unquantifiable.

Yep. I guess I shouldn't try and stir the pot; but, the whole 'this vs. that' thing keeps going and going and going... and it's never dropped. I think people forget that firearms are just a tool. They are machined parts put together for a specific function. There is no life saving aspect in them; they just offer a better chance of survival in the worst of situations.
    I sure wish I could but something that makes me a 'crackshot'!

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    You are equally vehement about your 1911s being impervious that you don't even your hypocrisy when you accuse the real Glock fans of being so vehemently 'Glock only'.

I can only speak for myself on this. I'm willing to defend 1911's when it is against misinformation. There are design weaknesses in any gun, including the 1911. When someone decides against a 1911 for these legitimate reasons there really is no sense in arguing it. It is a preference. Although, things like the "finicky" argument, the "it's too heavy" argument or the "it's too complicated" argument are fair game.

It is one thing to say, for example, you don't like the adjustable triggers because they can walk in or out, or the fact that swapping parts requires a fair amount of fitting and precision, or that if the barrel bushing or spring plug breaks it renders the gun inoperable. These are problems in the design. There are similar type of things to overcome with any design. It is something quite different to paint with broad strokes the functionality myth when those of us that shoot them extensively know otherwise and that their track record says otherwise. It is absurd to say they are too heavy to be practical when the few ounces of difference of little effect and countless people do carry and use them every day. It is silly to fault them for being overly complicated when the cognitive ability to operate a toaster is wholly sufficient to operate a 1911.

The main thing that sets a fan boy apart is the unwillingness to admit and deal with the flaws of his platform of choice. That is why these glock threads occur so frequently. There is a sufficient enough population on this board that will unflinchingly make statements of grandeur and reel at the thought that others may not feel the same way. Mix that fact with the glaring and, in my opinion, overwhelming flaws in that particular design and you get the abundance of glock arguments we are all accustomed to.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I wish they were the end all pistol for sure. I wish they adjustable backstraps, more swappable magazines and some ambi stuff. I wish the Kahr pistol I have is like that too. But they don't. I don't know if I am 'one you won't mention' or not; but, I just post stuff to see you guys get stir crazy over it. You are equally vehement about your 1911s being impervious that you don't even your hypocrisy when you accuse the real Glock fans of being so vehemently 'Glock only'.

I think it's just plain funny that these threads are almost once a day thing. And, when I'm bored on this site, (which is often b/c not many posts any real info-- like reports, reviews, new purchase stuff etc. that it interesting; and, the politics and break room is same old crap different day) I can hop on over and see the latest fan boys going at it about their specific soul saving guns. I mean, really, doesn't the 1911 or Glock save our souls? :rolleyes:

Continue on.... sorry if your feathers are ruffled about your little toys. OUR little toys.

:laugh::ingo::patriot::popcorn:

EDIT: I've owned two XDs that functioned out of the box as well. I just had issues with the 'extras' on them that weren't needed for me. I'm definitely not a Glock guy. My old G19 actually doesn't like wolf ammo... so... no I'm not a hard born 'fan'.

Ruffle away, you are not hurting my feelings one bit. Again I agree there is no perfect pistol. It's a matter of finding what fits you, and that you can trust your life with. Anything mechanical has a chance of failure. I do not care how well it's made, and who it's made by. That's why I do not just own one brand of firearm. I have my Springfield, a Beretta, and a Browning. If I was a fan boy, I would own nothing but Springfields. I do not think Xd's are better then Glocks, and vise versa. The Xd fits me, and it's been a reliable gun. However how many posts are made about how Glocks are the best. How many threads do you see !(STARTED)! claiming Xd's, or 1911's, or Sigs, or Berettas, etc are the best? Last time I checked I have the right to argue, if I infact do not agree with someone or something. The reason I always mention my Xd, is because it is my main carry gun. If I was not comfortable with it, and it did not fit me. Then I would not own it. I do not buy things just for the name. I shot my Dads quit a few times, before my decesion to buy!

joshennis84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    The reason they are so great is because they go bang every time. I've had two and they never once jammed which is pretty incredible for a semi auto. Granted I probably only put 500 rds. through each but it was still impressive. Why did I sell mine. I liked the springfield better. I don't really know why I do, but I do. I like the fact that they will show you if there's one in the chamber, I could care less about the grip safety. I have a buddy that's a cop and he hates that because if he hurts his hand and needs to pull trigger but can't because of grip he says he's up a creek. I told him to use his other hand. He pondered and then said well what is both are hurt? So I guess I can't win.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The reason they are so great is because they go bang every time. I've had two and they never once jammed which is pretty incredible for a semi auto.

It's not really that incredible.

Just a short, and not all inclusive, list off the top of my head of semi-autos I or my wife have owned that have gone more than 500 rounds without a malfunction:

Taurus PT99 (2 of 'em)
    Taurus PT92 (2 of 'em)
    Beretta 92FS (2 of them, too, plus the ones I used to carry on duty)
    S&W 39, 59, 910
    Browning Hi-Power
    SA XD9 Tactical
    SA XD9sc
    M&P 9c
    Rock Island 1911. We discovered it hates Blazer aluminum cased ammo, else it would most likely still be malfunction free
    Glock 19

Most modern combat autos are capable of superb reliability.

Still not as good as a revolver. I've always been a huge revolver fan. As much as I love my XD9sc, I still prefer revolvers, and miss them :(

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The reason they are so great is because they go bang every time. I've had two and they never once jammed which is pretty incredible for a semi auto. Granted I probably only put 500 rds. through each but it was still impressive. Why did I sell mine. I liked the springfield better. I don't really know why I do, but I do. I like the fact that they will show you if there's one in the chamber, I could care less about the grip safety. I have a buddy that's a cop and he hates that because if he hurts his hand and needs to pull trigger but can't because of grip he says he's up a creek. I told him to use his other hand. He pondered and then said well what is both are hurt? So I guess I can't win.

Again fail, you have defined many other pistols out there. Honestly if you are to weak to hold the gun, then just being able to squeeze the trigger is probably not going to be enough just my opinion.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Before I finish that statement, I wish to clarify my intent here. I am NOT trying to start up an argument, although it almost certainly will.

I would seriously like to know. I have seen torture tests documented, I've seen range tests, I recently watched a video of a man purporting to hit a target at 230 yards, with a Glock.

Everyone RAVES about them. "They are tanks", "Best gun ever built", "Can't stop them"... and so on, and so on...

I have zero experience with Glocks.

I have NO vested interest in this argument, I would just like an answer to my question.

"Can anyone tell me why, if Glocks are so good, why do so many people have them up for sale"?

I'd really like to know:dunno:

Not to be sarcastic, but why are so many XDs for sale?

People want them.

Metal, non-metal, tenifered or blued, Americans like firearms.

In fact, no, we as a country LOVE our arms, and not just for the craftsmanship, although that does play a big part for me... it's what any piece represents - liberty. The ability to stand up to naked aggression, the ability to defend oneself, one's family and loved ones, one's property for which one has had to work so diligently... arms and the ability to wield them ensure our ability to exercise our other rights.... and for doing that job, I implicitly trust Glock - they've proven themselves in the fact that they've had to manufacture millions of pieces, which means that millions of people have trusted them just as I do. Their workmanship is second-to-none: they are the preferred sidearms of LEAs and standing armies alike, and they remain popular with private citizens as well. I like the low-maintenance of my G17 (my first piece for precisely that reason) as well as the reliability - short of putting it in a hottub, there's not much I could do to destroy it... I've yet to have it fire out-of-battery or fail to extract a shell. It is my Glock; there are many like it, but this one is mine.

SIG SAUER is a great brand; Taurus is a great brand. Glock is a great brand as well.... and when it all comes down to it, end-of-the-day, staring down the sights, I prefer Glock. Just personal preference, really.

And what Bigum1969 said, too. :patriot:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Not to be sarcastic, but why are so many XDs for sale?

People want them.

Metal, non-metal, tenifered or blued, Americans like firearms.

In fact, no, we as a country LOVE our arms, and not just for the craftsmanship, although that does play a big part for me... it's what any piece represents - liberty. The ability to stand up to naked aggression, the ability to defend oneself, one's family and loved ones, one's property for which one has had to work so diligently... arms and the ability to wield them ensure our ability to exercise our other rights.... and for doing that job, I implicitly trust Glock - they've proven themselves in the fact that they've had to manufacture millions of pieces, which means that millions of people have trusted them just as I do. Their workmanship is second-to-none: they are the preferred sidearms of LEAs and standing armies alike, and they remain popular with private citizens as well. I like the low-maintenance of my G17 (my first piece for precisely that reason) as well as the reliability - short of putting it in a hottub, there's not much I could do to destroy it... I've yet to have it fire out-of-battery or fail to extract a shell. It is my Glock; there are many like it, but this one is mine.

SIG SAUER is a great brand; Taurus is a great brand. Glock is a great brand as well.... and when it all comes down to it, end-of-the-day, staring down the sights, I prefer Glock. Just personal preference, really.

And what Bigum1969 said, too. :patriot:
    So Glocks workmenship is second to none? So basicly you are saying Glock is the best? Please prove it to me, I'm still waiting for someone too. So say Colt, who has produced who knows how many 1911's is less superior in terms on workenmenship then Glock? Or how about Beretta, and the 92FS. Is its workmenship less then Glocks? I mean until someone can come with some hard facts, that Glocks are better then all. Rub your wittle Glock, and come with something better. I keep reading the same nonsense.

:n00b: :popcorn:

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You keep writing it too...

What for the fact you, and the other fan boys can not prove Glocks are the best? Is that your rebutle. Can not come with something more solid? So I guess I proved my point. The fan boys can talk about how Glock is the best, but have no conclusive proof. Epic fail!

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I like Glocks because they are reliable, they are well made, accessories are inexpensive and everywhere, and if you own one you are familiar with other platforms of glock. The same can be said for other manufacturers as well, be sure to check out XD, M&P if your in the same price range as a glock. See what fits you. I carry a g27 because Its small and reliable and it feels nice in my hands(weird huh!!?!) just play with one at a range :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    So Glocks workmenship is second to none? So basicly you are saying Glock is the best? Please prove it to me, I'm still waiting for someone too. So say Colt, who has produced who knows how many 1911's is less superior in terms on workenmenship then Glock? Or how about Beretta, and the 92FS. Is its workmenship less then Glocks? I mean until someone can come with some hard facts, that Glocks are better then all. Rub your wittle Glock, and come with something better. I keep reading the same nonsense.

:n00b: :popcorn:

You best be trollin', good sir.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom