Can anyone tell me why, if Glocks are so good...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    That dude better be careful, he looks like he's about to shoot himself in the face with those tests. I like how he blamed the non glock failure on the magazine!

None the less, I've owned more Glocks than any other weapon and had less problems with all the Glocks than all the other's combined.

I go off of my PERSONAL experiences, not what I see or read on the internet.

I guess you shouldn't get injured :)

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    That dude better be careful, he looks like he's about to shoot himself in the face with those tests. I like how he blamed the non glock failure on the magazine!

None the less, I've owned more Glocks than any other weapon and had less problems with all the Glocks than all the other's combined.

I guess you shouldn't get injured :)

He said it might be the mag because beretta mags are notorious for being bad unless you're running factory mags. One shot is not a problem, every shot is an issue.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I guess once people get on the "Glocks suck" state of mind/bandwagon, there's no turning back.

Here's a Glock testimonial for your records if you haven't seen it.
    Glock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com

It's not a matter of "Glock sucks." If that were the case, I wouldn't have put a gun up for trade asking for a Glock, especially knowing the crap I'd take here if I were seen with a Glock anywhere near my hands, nor they be included in my recommendations when people ask the "what should I buy" questions.

It's a matter of not being deluded about the limitations of your mechanical tool. Of being aware of it's limitations. Of being realistic in your expectations. Of not believing the marketing hype, which Gaston Glock truly excels at and which DID achieve the remarkable feat of knocking metal guns (in an era when even alloy was looked at with suspicion) off the top of the heap and making combat tupperware of whatever brand not only acceptable but the current standard, and knowing the limitations and advantages of not only your equipment but also others.

I mean, it's one thing to rag on each other's choice of guns and joke around and have fun, but I honestly believe there are some fanboys sitting at home on the verge of tears whenever somebody speaks of the mere possibility of a Glock weakness, and points out the fact that there really are other guns at least as reliable, at least as rugged, and that somebody might actually LIKE other guns, too.

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    He said it might be the mag because beretta mags are notorious for being bad unless you're running factory mags. One shot is not a problem, every shot is an issue.

Avoid "government contract" mags unless you know the manufacturer. Some of them truly sucked, apparently, and started to give the M9 a bad rep, until they dumped those mags and went to another company.

One reason why I am still feeling some trepidation about my fairly recent switch to semi-autos instead of revolvers as a personal carry gun. Despite my excellent reliability results with a wide range of semi-autos, even the best can be brought to their knees by a bad mag. Also why I always carry a spare mag, when the odds are incredibly high against me ever needing it.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Avoid "government contract" mags unless you know the manufacturer. Some of them truly sucked, apparently, and started to give the M9 a bad rep, until they dumped those mags and went to another company.

One reason why I am still feeling some trepidation about my fairly recent switch to semi-autos instead of revolvers as a personal carry gun. Despite my excellent reliability results with a wide range of semi-autos, even the best can be brought to their knees by a bad mag. Also why I always carry a spare mag, when the odds are incredibly high against me ever needing it.

Yep, that is the exact reason why the m9s were supposedly failing. My friend had his family buy factory beretta mags and ship them to him in the sandbox and he had no more problems. I think the government contract was with checkmate mags.

1911s... factory mags are hit or miss with some companies, but I've had perfect luck with WC mags

Berettas... I only use factory mags and buy spares when I can. I have some junk gov't mags for range use.

Glocks... factory mags only

Most other guns have no problems with factory mags.

I carry my uniform loudout of 2 mags plus one in the gun... that's what my gunleather was made for when I was at the police dept nearby, so I still carry it.

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    It's not a matter of "Glock sucks." If that were the case, I wouldn't have put a gun up for trade asking for a Glock, especially knowing the crap I'd take here if I were seen with a Glock anywhere near my hands, nor they be included in my recommendations when people ask the "what should I buy" questions.

It's a matter of not being deluded about the limitations of your mechanical tool. Of being aware of it's limitations. Of being realistic in your expectations. Of not believing the marketing hype, which Gaston Glock truly excels at and which DID achieve the remarkable feat of knocking metal guns (in an era when even alloy was looked at with suspicion) off the top of the heap and making combat tupperware of whatever brand not only acceptable but the current standard, and knowing the limitations and advantages of not only your equipment but also others.

I mean, it's one thing to rag on each other's choice of guns and joke around and have fun, but I honestly believe there are some fanboys sitting at home on the verge of tears whenever somebody speaks of the mere possibility of a Glock weakness, and points out the fact that there really are other guns at least as reliable, at least as rugged, and that somebody might actually LIKE other guns, too.

I'm no "fanboy" but like I said before, Glocks ARE the most reliable semi auto pistols on the planet. It's proven. You can find issues with any gun on the planet. I have never had an issue with a Glock. I speak from my own experiences.

I wish NO ONE like Glocks, that would make them cheaper for me to buy:cool: So by all means, spread the gospel.

I love a lot of different manufactures, but I will say that Glock is my favorite simply because I've never had one issue with them.

Why no comment on the link I posted?

Non manufacture Glock mags suck too, by the way.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I'm no "fanboy" but like I said before, Glocks ARE the most reliable semi auto pistols on the planet. It's proven. You can find issues with any gun on the planet. I have never had an issue with a Glock. I speak from my own experiences.

I wish NO ONE like Glocks, that would make them cheaper for me to buy:cool: So by all means, spread the gospel.

I love a lot of different manufactures, but I will say that Glock is my favorite simply because I've never had one issue with them.

Why no comment on the link I posted?

Non manufacture Glock mags suck too, by the way.

Not true. I own, and know several members on this forum who own-shoot-compete with, non-Glock manufactured mags. KCI mags a very decent mag; and, I've never had 1 issue with the 15 I have, that I bought USED last year. They've been to FNS in Indy, bowling pin shoots and a pistol course.

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    Not true. I own, and know several members on this forum who own-shoot-compete with, non-Glock manufactured mags. KCI mags a very decent mag; and, I've never had 1 issue with the 15 I have, that I bought USED last year. They've been to FNS in Indy, bowling pin shoots and a pistol course.

Good info, thank you for the info :rockwoot:

By the way everyone, I'm no expert. Most of ya'll are much more educated in firearms than I am. I am simply trying to put out there my knowledge and experiences with Glocks. I will try and defend the manufacturer because I have had great experiences with Glock.

No more "debatage" from Cole :popcorn:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    The ones that are selling them have finally had the chance to shoot an XDm and know they have been shooting an inferior weapon with the Glock and decided to upgrade to the Springfield.

:D There, I did it. :popcorn:

LOLOL! I'm with you man! I prefer the XD's because of extra safety features AND IT JUST FITS MY HAND BETTER!

I own a Glock 26 and a 19. Both are just fine. I agree with all of the above. They are proven, dependable, accurate, etc. There are zillions out there. I just recently bought one from somebody who sold it because they "just could not get on board" with the Glock love affair. Students love to see them, but once they see the XD the Glock is forgotten.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    Had a XD9, and a XDM and ended up getting rid of them. No use having them around when I'm just going to go to my primary....which is a Glock.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008

The problem is, _your_ personal experiences pretty much deal with the way _you_ shoot the gun. The video shows exactly what is wrong with Glock: The physics needed to cycle the gun rely way too much on the force the shooter is applying with their gun hand. This is why I am becoming more and more a non-Glock fan. While they are 99%, with _me_ shooting them, I know other guns that will likely be better. If anyone believes this isn't an issue, it is easy enough to repeat that test.

I would like to know if maybe it isn't a gun issue, but a magazine issue. Glock has tweaked their guns here and there, but I know they are on their fourth magazine design. It could just be an issue of either the slide spring, magazine spring, or both.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I am simply trying to put out there my knowledge and experiences with Glocks. I will try and defend the manufacturer because I have had great experiences with Glock.

The problem is that no two people really shoot alike. I have about a .25-.5% failure with my Glock 22, which is basically brand new. I had the same failure rate with my old G22 which was around five years old. I know what the issue is, the way I am firing it. With my old G22, it was when my arms were getting very tired after firing many rounds. It was obvious to me that I likely wasn't putting 100% into my hold. With this newer G22, I was hoping for 100%, but of course I didn't get that. What I did get was a Glock that jams much easier, so now I have to really focus on my hold. My Glock did the _exact_ same thing as those in the video, minus any stovepipes and failure to eject. Mine always ejects the spent casing, but when it tries to push the next round into the chamber, that is where the problems come into play.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom