Can anyone tell me why, if Glocks are so good...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    You're seriously not trying to say that the XD, Sigma and M&P line aren't a copy of the Glock are you?

That's like saying they didn't copy the 1911 design from Colt...

You aren't seriously trying to say that every aspect of the Glock isn't copied from other guns, are you? The only unique part of the design was it's manufacturing.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    My very first SD hangun, very low maintance, very durable, great finish, etc. it is not for everybody with that said I sold a few and got a few but for various reasons but never for mechanical problems.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Can anyone tell me why, if Glocks are so good, why do so many people have them up for sale"?

I'd really like to know:dunno:
    It's because the Dark Side is running out of cookies and people are coming back to the Light! Seriously though, a lot of the Glock reputation has been manufactured by Glock. They are very good at covering up their problems. I know I had one. Remember the flak Ruger caught from the LCP recalls? Does anybody remember the "voluntary upgrade'" for the Gen1 Glocks. Marketing can go a long way to help or hurt a company's image. Having said that, to answer the OP, I think that people view Glocks as tools because they are so common. There isn't the sentimental attraction to them that other guns have.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    You're seriously not trying to say that the XD, Sigma and M&P line aren't a copy of the Glock are you?

That's like saying they didn't copy the 1911 design from Colt...

Sigma is definitely a Glock copy.

What?

what single aspect of Glock is revolutionary?

They did nothing new.

Actually they did. What they did was market to the police force, of which I would say half the officers in this country are not "gun people." Prior to Glock, many semi-autos had switches and trigger pulls where the first pull was longer and heavier than subsequent pulls. Glock simplified things: Once you chamber a round, you pull the trigger, the gun fires. No "cocked and locked", no having to make sure a level is pushed one way or another, etc.. Not only that, with Glock, every trigger pull is always the same.

To some folks, none of this is "revolutionary," but it really was. It was a new way of thinking when it came to firearms. Many other rightly followed and the constant trigger pull is so popular, that a few semi-autos with exposed hammers come available in models where every trigger pull is the same. Maybe Glock wasn't the first in these things, I am not sure when they were founded, when they originally thought up this idea, etc.. They may have thought it up first, but someone else took the idea to market first. What I do know is that Sigma was the first firearm to try to mimic Glock. They failed horribly. S&W went back to the drawing board and appears to have done it right with the M&P. The HS2000 is also similar to a Glock, and it appears that I. M. Metal and Springfield got this gun right.

I wouldn't say everyone copied Glock, as the trigger concept is the same as on a revolver. It just appears that Glock took that concept, applied it to a semi-auto pistol, and they discovered something that people like. Others have now picked up on it and are designing similar pistols.

Not only that, the other companies likely caused Glock to start including light rails and finger groves. I still can't believe that Glock hasn't went back to the drawing board with removable grip pieces. I also think Glock has a slight problem with relying too much on human force to get their guns to fire 100%. The idea of limp wristing shouldn't be an issue...with any gun. If you can limp wrist an XD or M&P and cause the to jam, they have problems too. In my believe, the components of a semi-auto handgun should be such that regardless of what is holding or not holding the grip, if the trigger is pulled and the gun fired, the gun should be able to cycle, even if it is spinning after firing.

ladiesdonjuan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    How many of those were sold again?

What's your point? The response was to the claim of everyone copying Glock, which HK was the first polymer handgun.

Had they said Glock was the first SUCCESSFUL polymer handgun then your response would be noteworthy.

No matter how you put it Glock was not the first polymer pistol, so therefore they copied someone else...at least by some peoples logic.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    What's your point? The response was to the claim of everyone copying Glock, which HK was the first polymer handgun.

Had they said Glock was the first SUCCESSFUL polymer handgun then your response would be noteworthy.

No matter how you put it Glock was not the first polymer pistol, so therefore they copied someone else...at least by some peoples logic.

You said it was the first polymer pistol, not the first polymer, striker fired, safe action, tennifer coated pistol.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I see this is just another one of those threads again.... I guess it's been two weeks...

Doesn't HAVE to be one of "those" threads. If fact, it wasn't until the fanboys started making ridiculous statements about the objects of their obsession :rolleyes:

ladiesdonjuan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    You said it was the first polymer pistol, not the first polymer, striker fired, safe action, tennifer coated pistol.

Actually the VP70 is striker fired ;)

Glock did not start with tennifer either :popcorn:

The AR has plastic... is that a copy too?

Strawman? Staying on topic would be worthwhile.

Last I checked it was a Glock owner claiming the world copied Glock :poop::blahblah:.

Last edited:

ONTARGET

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Why do people sell their Glock? There is a lot of reasons such as they needed money, want something else, a bad experience etc..... And then some people just don't like them. "Sh**ers":laugh: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I98L5imvTh4&feature=related"]YouTube - Christine "Show Me" Scene[/ame]

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Strawman? Staying on topic would be worthwhile.

The response was to the claim of everyone copying Glock, which HK was the first polymer handgun.

2367515373_515ff7a325.jpg

ladiesdonjuan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009

Apparently not, it seems I lost you a while back. Are you saying HK was not the first polymer framed pistol? If so I'd like to see your sources to correct myself.

Strawman - I made the statement how the VP70 (1970) was prior to the Glock (1982)?, so you brought up sales :n00b:. How does that change who was first? You over look the topic to slant it in your favor, strawman.

Since you overlooked it

They are truly revolutionary HOW? pistols. Not too many people know that the Glock pistol has only been around since the mid 80's "If you live under a rock I guess". Since then, many manufacturers have jumped on the polymer frame bandwagon. If nothing else, the amount of companies that have tried to compete (read: copy) Glock should show they are onto something.

Yet no one can actually bring up anything that was copied, except using a polymer frame...who was first again?

Over look it too I see
    You said it was the first polymer pistol True, not the first polymer, (HK VP70) is striker fired, safe action, tennifer coated pistol not the original Glocks.

Last edited:

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    Well, I love Glocks. They are the most reliable semi auto pistols on the planet.

I'm not a big XD fan, but you don't see me flaming them in the slightest. It's a nice pistol, I just prefer the Glock.

The biggest complaint I see about Glocks is the grip angle. It works for me. Best thing to do is try one out.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Yet no one can actually bring up anything that was copied, except using a polymer frame...who was first again?

Hmm...what else did they copy...
    grip angle- compare to german pistols of wwii.
    slide-1911s have slides, too.
    double-stack magazines- the Beretta 92 was before Glock
    No safety selector-revolvers
    consistent trigger pull-revolvers

also, their aggressive marketing/use of popular culture to promote their handguns wasn't original either. Think "Dirty Harry."

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    It's because the Dark Side is running out of cookies and people are coming back to the Light! Seriously though, a lot of the Glock reputation has been manufactured by Glock. They are very good at covering up their problems. I know I had one. Remember the flak Ruger caught from the LCP recalls? Does anybody remember the "voluntary upgrade'" for the Gen1 Glocks. Marketing can go a long way to help or hurt a company's image. Having said that, to answer the OP, I think that people view Glocks as tools because they are so common. There isn't the sentimental attraction to them that other guns have.

I agree that the marketing of the Glock name is a big reason for their success. Glock went after as many law enforcement sales as possible and this has helped them secure the reputation that they now have. A lot of police departments have Glocks, but I have seen reports of some of them experiancing problems and they have changed either the model of Glock that they issue or just change manufacturer with out making a big issue. I am in no way a Plastic gun fan, but a Glock is simple to use and clean. If you like a lighter non-matalic frame, Glocks are a good choice.
    Personally, I prefer not have any Pistol that doesn't have some sort of manual safety. This gives me control over an automatic device that could fail.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Apparently not, it seems I lost you a while back. Are you saying HK was not the first polymer framed pistol? If so I'd like to see your sources to correct myself.

Strawman - I made the statement how the VP70 (1970) was prior to the Glock (1982)?, so you brought up sales :n00b:. How does that change who was first? You over look the topic to slant it in your favor, strawman.

Someone mentioned the others copied the Glock, which was then countered by fact... as S&W had to pay Glock for patent infringement.

Fact > Hyperbole

Interesting how you tied the "plastic in AR's" as strawman tactics.

But when you stretched "Glock being copied by others" over to the "HK was the first polymer, Glock is polymer therefore must be a copy" arguement, you ignored your own strawman attempt.

And why wouldn't I bring up sales? It's just as or no more relevant than polymer frames...

ladiesdonjuan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Someone mentioned the others copied the Glock, which was then countered by fact... as S&W had to pay Glock for patent infringement.

Fact > Hyperbole

Someone mentioned how manufacturers of polymer framed pistols are copying Glock.

Your words, OTHERS would signify multiple, S&W would mean ONE...where are all the companies that are copying Glock?

What is the M&P, XD, HK, Sig-Pro, Ruger, Hi-Point, and every other polymer framed pistol being sued for? They are all copy's right?

BTW companies are known to file suits simply because they know others do not wish to deal with long term court battles, AKA bullying. If I remember right the Sigma was a low point for S&W.

Interesting how you tied the "plastic in AR's" as strawman tactics.

But when you stretched "Glock being copied by others" over to the "HK was the first polymer, Glock is polymer therefore must be a copy" arguement, you ignored your own strawman attempt.

I simply countered a Glockers response with their own logic, which is since someone is prior to others that must mean everyone is copying :rolleyes: I figured I lost you but gave you the benefit of the doubt, but you failed.

And why wouldn't I bring up sales? It's just as or no more relevant than polymer frames...

Because the claim was "Since then, many manufacturers have jumped on the polymer frame bandwagon...the amount of companies that have tried to compete (read: copy) Glock" How does sales equate to being first? The claim here is obvious, since Glock uses a polymer frame everyone MUST be copying them :rolleyes: but over look the fact HK was first.

Since you keep forgetting the point here

They are truly revolutionary HOW? pistols. Not too many people know that the Glock pistol has only been around since the mid 80's "If you live under a rock I guess". Since then, many manufacturers have jumped on the polymer frame bandwagon. If nothing else, the amount of companies that have tried to compete (read: copy) Glock should show they are onto something.

Hmm...what else did they copy...
    grip angle- compare to german pistols of wwii.
    slide-1911s have slides, too.
    double-stack magazines- the Beretta 92 was before Glock
    No safety selector-revolvers
    consistent trigger pull-revolvers

also, their aggressive marketing/use of popular culture to promote their handguns wasn't original either. Think "Dirty Harry."

Don't forget the air soft pistols with plastic sights too.

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I never lost sight of the point, I just like watching you call strawman while doing it yourself.

Welcome to :ingo:

Back to the actual point, the Glock was successful for many years, because it was basically a $500 gun and worked.... Many PD's went to them because they got them cheap.

The HK USP was another great polymer, albeit more expensive, it is a great gun.

Springfield and S&W looked at what the Glock did good and added to it and came out with their own pistols when they launched the XD's and the "newer" Sigma. Then they went a step farther and launched better and higher end pistols with the XDm and M&P pistols.

Glock was obviously more interested in porting their same design to many different calibers and sizes while SA and S&W decided to make their decent guns better.

Bottom line is, all of them are decent guns and different price points.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom